Job Network
Sponsored by

So anyone know any higher ups at MD Anderson?

3,575 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JetSet05
Madmarttigan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just wondering what departments they are about to clean house on. Posted today they want to cut a little less than 5% of personnel out of 20000. 1000 jobs seems like they might be going after more than just administration, operations, and middle management but also may cut some healthcare professionals as well.
HBCanine08
AG
Damn...my mom works custodial there.
plug10 AG
AG
So far have heard of Infosec, IT Engineering, Supply Chain Management, various other groups in the IT dept that already saw layoffs a few months ago. Floors are getting emptier at 1MC.
cashag95
AG
My wife was let go last week, she was a Sr. IT Trainer on the new EPIC system they just implemented. She was one of 3 that got let go, she had great performance reviews and was a hard worker, but was apparently one of the highest paid in the group, so it's purely a numbers game. Mismanagement at its finest going on a MDA.
Bassmaster
AG
Sorry to hear that. My wife works there and is pretty shaken up as she know some good people who were let go. I hope your wife finds something else quickly.
PrincessButtercup
AG
My sister was let go today. Works in medical laboratory science. She was there for 8 years
Madmarttigan
AG
There was definitely some wasted money during the EPIC transition. As far as the pharmacy department goes there were EPIC support staff just sitting on their phones all night not providing any answers or assistance and this went on for a while.

They did say they went too conservative and hired too many people for the EPIC transition for safety reasons, but seems like they should have been smarter about it.

They dissolved and entire pharmacy department and hopefully that will be it for a while. I do worry that more cuts will come though.
PrincessButtercup
AG
My sis said there is another round in March. I'd imagine those left aren't going to feel comfortable.
I Am A Critic
cashag95 said:

My wife was let go last week, she was a Sr. IT Trainer on the new EPIC system they just implemented. She was one of 3 that got let go, she had great performance reviews and was a hard worker, but was apparently one of the highest paid in the group, so it's purely a numbers game. Mismanagement at its finest going on a MDA.
It's always a numbers game. How else would you have them do it?
HBCanine08
AG
Nope. My mom said her supervisor's supervisor was let go last week. Lots of worried folks
DFWag84
Thanks Obama.
JetSet05
AG
EVERY single department had to make cuts. Some of the cuts came from people who had recently left, so there were no official layoffs in a few departments. But every single department had to make cuts. The business side got hit a bit harder than the clinical side. The cuts were less that expected, as they had originally planned for 10 percent cuts. Some people in upper management are voluntarily leaving. We will know in LATE spring how these cuts effect the revenue. The rumored March is too early.
PrincessButtercup
AG
HBCanine08 said:

Nope. My mom said her supervisor's supervisor was let go last week. Lots of worried folks

Praying your Mom's job is safe!
HBCanine08
AG
Thanks! Me too.
cashag95
AG
I Am A Critic said:

cashag95 said:

They should have cut the lower performers first. For example, there were 3 people who could not pass the EPIC courses to get certified, and at least one other person who had been written up for disciplinary reasons, why not get rid of two or three of those people to keep one higher paid high performer...I guess that makes too much sense for a government funded organization. The explanation given to those who are still there is that the selections were made by Directors two levels up, so direct managers and supervisors are claiming not to have had much input, which seems like a convenient excuse to avoid accountability....Some very poor management at MDA.
PrincessButtercup
AG
tv1113 said:

There was definitely some wasted money during the EPIC transition. As far as the pharmacy department goes there were EPIC support staff just sitting on their phones all night not providing any answers or assistance and this went on for a while.

They did say they went too conservative and hired too many people for the EPIC transition for safety reasons, but seems like they should have been smarter about it.

They dissolved and entire pharmacy department and hopefully that will be it for a while. I do worry that more cuts will come though.
Some? That monstrosity is the reason for this massive job cut.
Madmarttigan
AG
I had a more harsh statement in at first but edited it lol. The amount of waste that went into the entire crossover is probably the most any institution has ever spent, but hey they had the most "successful" transition ever.
Madmarttigan
AG
cashag95 said:

I Am A Critic said:

cashag95 said:

They should have cut the lower performers first. For example, there were 3 people who could not pass the EPIC courses to get certified, and at least one other person who had been written up for disciplinary reasons, why not get rid of two or three of those people to keep one higher paid high performer...I guess that makes too much sense for a government funded organization. The explanation given to those who are still there is that the selections were made by Directors two levels up, so direct managers and supervisors are claiming not to have had much input, which seems like a convenient excuse to avoid accountability....Some very poor management at MDA.

This is what has me worried while I have good performance I feel like they are going to pull names out of a hat and not do things that make sense like fire poor performers who also make way more than me.

The only positive sign is they got rid of a technician on my night shift who shows up to work 50% of the time and some other questionable employees so maybe my department is trying to be fair.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Haha my sister went on a rant about EPIC. She had amazing reviews every evaluation and was a senior member in her lab. She's handling it in stride, though. Sounds like she at least got a nice severance package.
TejasMike12
AG
Fiance is a Ph.D. student and she says they are laying off all of the cafeteria works and replacing the cafeteria with a fast food store option. Terrible management at MDA.
Bert315
AG
Management at MDA has been lacking for some time. With my last company I spent 4 years working at MDA and the decision making throughout the EPIC transition as well as staffing was puzzling at best. Managers that micro managed staff out and refused input from employees who had been through EPIC transitions before. 1MC is a nice building but the floors I was on started full and were almost empty by the time I left. It was sad to see these leaders ride some of these departments into the ground.
JetSet05
AG
Performance played a big part in who was cut and so was salary. Each department lead was given a list of employees with their salaries. They were told how much salary they had to cut in the department. They had to basically check the box by the employees they selected and submit to their higher up. We lost both a high performer that was very high paid and a low performer. Cutting one high paid person or cutting 2 people that are mid pay is an easy decision.
As far as EPIC... we bench-marked our EPIC transition from 6 hospitals including TX Children's, another large cancer center, and another large hospital in the Houston area. We anticipated a loss. But somethings that occurred because of EPIC were a complete surprise. No large hospital in the US has had an overwhelmingly successful transition, but the EPIC transition was mandated by the government. There were not many options.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.