Job Network
Sponsored by

Side job question

2,250 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by wrinkledink
wrinkledink
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wondering what y'all think..

I work full time for company A (O&G) and do some IT consulting on the side for my friend's dad's business (company B). Company B wants to add me to their new brochure as their 'IT Consultant'. None of the work done or tools used for company A relate to company B.

Would you be OK with being in the brochure?

Thanks
kbw01
AG
Do you do IT for Company A?
wrinkledink
AG
kbw01 said:

Do you do IT for Company A?
I do not. I'm in the Geophysical data management side.
kbw01
AG
wrinkledink - I don't really know. Look at what your employee handbook/contract says, but it does not look like a conflict of interest to me.
DAM
AG
I would not do it. Why risk it?
chjoak
AG
Likely not a conflict of interest but a lot of companies won't be happy about it if they find out. Their general mindset is that you should spend that extra time working for them instead of moonlighting.
wrinkledink
AG
Going to play it safe then. Thank you all for your feedback.
Coppell97
AG
Might be able to get things cleared through the ethics department of Company A (and approved as no conflict) if company B is not a competitor and not in same industry, and you're not misusing company A's time or resources. If you want to be up front about it. Just another thought. But being on their literature may be too much. But doing the work could be OK if on your own time.
JamesPShelley
wrinkledink said:

Wondering what y'all think..

I work full time for company A (O&G) and do some IT consulting on the side for my friend's dad's business (company B). Company B wants to add me to their new brochure as their 'IT Consultant'. None of the work done or tools used for company A relate to company B.

Would you be OK with being in the brochure?

Thanks

Have you considered consulting with your HR department? No harm, no foul. If they give you the green light, you have extra quid. If they suggest there is a conflict... you are no worse off than before your inquiry.

Go for it. Life is too short. All they can say is no... and there is no shortage of those these days. It is those occasional "yeses" that rock!

Have a great day!

UmustBKidding
Ask my friend Evan Brown why you would not want to go to HR and ask them anything about things you are thinking about.
And for sure don't ask if you have already done some work for you friend. With the employment contracts that clam the company owns anything you even think and the courts backing them up on it makes things like this risky.
HollywoodBQ
AG
No to the brochure. Keep that stuff on the DL.
BrazosDog02
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Ask my friend Evan Brown why you would not want to go to HR and ask them anything about things you are thinking about.
And for sure don't ask if you have already done some work for you friend. With the employment contracts that clam the company owns anything you even think and the courts backing them up on it makes things like this risky.

Yup. Knew a guy at my compnay that went to talk about an idea like the op is asking about and make sure it was cool.....it was so cool they showed him the door 1 week later...because they too dont want to risk anything.
bmks270
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

UmustBKidding said:

Yup. Knew a guy at my compnay that went to talk about an idea like the op is asking about and make sure it was cool.....it was so cool they showed him the door 1 week later...because they too dont want to risk anything.

They must not be too valuable to the company. I know some co-workers that do some side jobs, employer doesn't seem to mind as long it's not stealing business, only cares about job performance. One co-worker even does work for his boss on the side, not related to company work. Maybe it depends on the company culture.
wrinkledink
AG
Thank you all for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.