Job Network
Sponsored by

What would you do?

2,967 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Lechuza05
Dddfff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hypothetical- you have been at your company for 10 years and in the industry 15. You like what you do for the most part but are open to a change. If that change was a non-desk job, what type of industry / job would you consider pursuing? If I had a hobby outside of golf and Texags, I would look to monetize that- but I don't. Curious what some of your thoughts are... thanks!
Raptor
AG
The only thing I'd leave education for would be photography.
The Milkman
AG
I would give it all up to be a UPS driver with a good route.
george92
I think I would make a good stunt man.
Zip 88
I'm actually in that boat right now. I have an extensive background in logistics, and have work in related fields since military retirement.

I was just laid off and am looking at a change. Hospitality intrigues me for some reason.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Open up a food truck.
Farmer1906
AG
Stripper, no doubt.
Rudyjax
AG
It's still a hobby, but I became a personal trainer with Camp Gladiator. I work whenever I needed and want and make additional bucks. I could do it full time and in a year or two could equal what I'm making. Just no 401k or benefits.
mooney07
AG
I did it about three years ago. COSC major; I was working as an assistant pm. Hated it. Walked away from it, dusted my toolbox off, and am working for BNSF as locomotive mechanic. The railroad is quirky but its a fun job.
agsalaska
AG
Easy. 18 wheeler LTL cold storage. Hands down one of the best jobs out there if you can handle the sleep patterns and odd hours. I have some family that have been pretty successful at it and it has crossed my mind more than once.

Or I would move back to Alaska and work on the North Slope 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. Thought about that one too. In fact when I got laid off in 2014 after 14 years I sent resumes back to Alaska. But I ended up staying in Texas and in my industry.
agsalaska
AG
Funny you type that. I was sitting at a railroad crossing in Central Texas today watching a BNSF head slowly by and thought of an old colleague that has a son who is a Train Conductor. He told his dad when he was 10 years old that one day he was going to drive a train and thats exactly what he does today at 40. Makes a good living.
AggieArchitect04
AG
I've often thought that I could feel content simply mowing lawns.

I even went so far as to calculate how many lawns I'd have to mow in a month to make what I make now. It was a lot of mowing and didn't take into account expenses or other net losses (fuel, travel, equipment, maintenance, taxes, lack of benefits).

I'd have to mow a lot of lawns for like 29 days out of a month to maintain my lifestyle. I told my wife and she informed me that 1) I was charging too much per lawn and 2) I'm scared of things like bees and yellow jackets.

On a more serious note, I watched "Waffle Street" on Netflix. It's based on a true story and in the same vein as a career change. Good little, refreshing movie.
Vernada
AG
Forest Ranger

Assuming $$ wasn't important anymore.
HollywoodBQ
AG
A guy I used to play Poker with in Anaheim makes $85k cleaning about 40 swimming pools a week. He's his own boss, has more work than he can handle and loves it.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Wood working, furniture building, Again, assuming money isn't a factor
Lechuza05
AG
Oilfield Sales.....you get to play a lot of golf
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.