Job Network
Sponsored by

Resume-writing service

14,513 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JamesPShelley
TAMUallen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Email sent to James.
JamesPShelley
aggiespartan said:

Jim did a resume for my husband. We think it's a very high quality resume. It's probably due to the industry, but he still has not gotten an interview after several months. Sometimes I guess a stellar resume isn't enough.
Please, reconnect with me. I've several wife/husband combos.

I'd like to revisit this. Thank you.
CajunAg08
AG
BrazosDog02
AG
aggiespartan said:

Jim did a resume for my husband. We think it's a very high quality resume. It's probably due to the industry, but he still has not gotten an interview after several months. Sometimes I guess a stellar resume isn't enough.

Oil and gas?
JamesPShelley
BrazosDog02 said:

aggiespartan said:

Oil and gas?
I'm interested. O&G?
senorchipotle
AG
Another recommendation for Mr. James P. "Jim" Shelley. The guy is quick, thorough, straight forward and concise. My new resume is as aesthetically pleasing as the content is excellent.

Also, I'll say that Jim sincerely cares that you have a fantastic resume and that you get a job with it.
JamesPShelley
senorchipotle said:

Another recommendation for Mr. James P. "Jim" Shelley. The guy is quick, thorough, straight forward and concise. My new resume is as aesthetically pleasing as the content is excellent.

Also, I'll say that Jim sincerely cares that you have a fantastic resume and that you get a job with it.
Thank you for the kind words. Please, keep me posted.

Cheers!
Maverick06
AG
Jim I sent you an email.
BeastmodeAg
AG
Jim is fantastic to work with, I am in the process of him updating mine after he initially did and he is extremely professional just as usual! During the 4 month span of using my new resume' from Jim i've had a phone interview/in person interview almost every single Month. Either my luck changed or the resume' worked, no offers yet but it sure it nice to be atleast be noticed as opposed to before where I had zero luck.

I highly recommend Jim to anyone!
78bc3
AG
Several thoughts from the Former Services Career Team
if they seem helpful we can be contacted at fscshelp@tamu.edu .
Does your resume make the Hiring Manager need to talk to you
To confirm your alignment with their hiring needs.
If not
it's just a piece of paper.

Have you researched target organizations to understand their core business, their goals and strategy?

Does your objective/summary align with their needs? or yours?
Do you help them see your focus on their mission, goals or strategy?
They don't need to know 10 things you did at your last job.
They need to see a couple things that you did well that align with our needs
And they need to see that you are well rounded, work well with others, and solve problems.

If an organization advertises a job listing. Think of the listing as their recipe for success for that job.
You must show that you have the best match of ingredients for their shopping list. Maintain alignment with the intent of their recipe. You should avoid imposing interests or experiences that don't enhance the recipe.

Regarding your experience and activities sections. Think of a rack of ribs.
The tasks and responsibilities you performed prove a framework for your body of work. Add detail describing why you performed the work, how you performed the work; and the outcomes, impact or value of the work performed to showcase the meat on the bones. Quantify results where possible.
A well-crafted experience point can make a much deeper impression on a hiring manager than a list of tasks that you performed. For example:
Describe the work you performed for a team assessing a process, identifying and implementing process modifications and the impact or results from the change you managed.
Or
Describe work you performed, identifying methods or key resources you used, indicating the value or results that you delivered.
When wordsmithing your experience points consider showcasing your technical knowledge and skills with the 'soft skills' you leveraged to deliver impact, value or results. According to "Job Outlook 2013", the National Association of Colleges and Employers identified the top-10 candidate skills/qualities that employers seek in prospective employees are:
1. Ability to verbally communicate with persons inside and outside the organization
2. Ability to work in a team structure
3. Ability to make decisions and solve problems
4. Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work
5. Ability to obtain and process information
6. Ability to analyze quantitative data
7. Technical knowledge related to the job
8. Proficiency with computer software programs
9. Ability to create and/or edit written reports
10. Ability to sell or influence others
Source: Job Outlook 2013, National Association of Colleges and Employers
Factors that may influence your format preference
Are they hiring entry level graduates or experienced help?...Do you lead with your education or experience?
As you build depth of experience, determine whether a functional or chronological format best showcases your alignment with their shopping list.
Details you present while customizing each resume, will help improve the depth and value of each interview answer the manager needs that will hire you.
For greater detail please refer to our Former Student Career Services Answer Book.

Does your cover letter focus on your needs or their needs?
If this was helpful, we can help you find industry contacts and a proven strategy to connect with them.
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
JamesPShelley
2013?

http://www.naceweb.org/store/2017/job-outlook-2017/
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.