Job Network
Sponsored by

Resume-writing service

14,511 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JamesPShelley
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RedassDave
The TAMU Career Center offers that service for free for all Former Students
From their website: "Regardless of what point you are at professionally, our Former Student Career Advisors are here to provide feedback, insight and recommendations for your resume and/or professional letters. Some Former Students seek general input on new resumes they have written while others want guidance to polish a resume for a specific position.

Please contact one of our Former Student Career Advisors if you would like to schedule an appointment, either in person or by phone, to review your resume and/or professional letters. Please call 979-845-5139 Monday through Friday, 8am - 4:30pm."
bthotugigem05
AG
Thanks! I'm more interested in someone who will ask me about what I've done in my career and create a resume for me that's keyword-optimized for all of the various sites.
NC2001
AG
I highly recommend using James Shelley (http://www.jamespshelley.com). He was recommended to me by a friend when I was looking to get out of the aviation industry and in to the oil and gas business (back in 2010). Within two weeks of sending out the resume he created for me, I landed a job with a large O&G company in Houston. He does a great job working with you one-on-one via email and phone.
JamesPShelley
Thank you, NC2001. I appreciate the referral.

If you don't recall, I provide complimentary lifetime resume updates. I look forward to hearing from you.
bthotugigem05
AG
James, what's a rough estimate for your services?
Astroag
AG
quote:

If you don't recall, I provide complimentary lifetime resume updates. I look forward to hearing from you.
emailed you...
NC2001
AG
quote:

I didn't forget! I've used the original resume you gave me with a few updates and got to where I am today! (Global Program Manager for an O&G company).
OldAg92
AG
I'm going to send you my resume. Got laid off from an in-house position in January (law/claims related) and have spent seven months trying to find a new gig. The only offer I've received in my salary range is to return to the billable hours, 60-70 hour a week grind at a big downtown law firm - a world I swore I would never return to, but I have to feed the family. I was told a week ago by an executive coach that my resume was "weak" and is holding me back. Who knows. All I know is unless I find something else in the next couple weeks, I have to take this gig because our savings is running out.
jameskl93
AG
I highly recommend James Shelley for anyone wanting a resume review as well. He will work with you the entire way and his service is thorough and expedient.
AggieNAnnArbor
I'll second the recommendation to go with James Shelley for anyone needing help with a resume. He recently produced a resume for me and it was a 100 times better than the resume I put together. He'll work real close with you to produce the document and has a very quick turn-around time. He also produces excellent cover letters to correspond with individual job requirements.
Pigtails
AG
So I stumbled on this thread about a week ago. I took a chance and contacted Jim per above. I am so glad I did. I thought my resume was pretty good before...but he made it much more professional. It is much more simple, yet incredibly well-thought out. He really took the time to learn about me and my experiences.

I HIGHLY recommend contacting Jim if you are thinking about revamping your resume. His response time was incredible. I had a completely new resume within 2-3 days.
ShortyAg04
The above reviews are spot-on. It's been a while since I've had to jump into a job search and I knew that my resume needed a major update. I contacted Jim when I came across this thread and I was immediately impressed with his approach. He's prompt, professional, and incredibly *thorough*. I'm absolutely amazed by the resume Jim created for me (it totally puts my last one to shame) and I highly recommend his service!
MPAnglin
James gave my resume a major overhaul this week. The man knows what he is doing. He asked all of the right questions, and used my answers to maximize my resumes appearance and effectiveness. I can't thank you enough James!

p.s. His cover letters are really impressive!

-Michael
JamesPShelley
MPAnglin said:

James gave my resume a major overhaul this week. The man knows what he is doing. He asked all of the right questions, and used my answers to maximize my resumes appearance and effectiveness. I can't thank you enough James!

p.s. His cover letters are really impressive!

-Michael
Thank you, Michael.
RebelE Infantry
AG
I'll add another endorsement for Jim. When I got laid off a couple weeks ago I decided it was a good opportunity to take a step up in my career. I contacted Jim and he worked with me to produce what appears to be a top notch resume. Very easy to work with and his attention to detail is great. His service is not what I consider cheap but if the finished product helps me get a job sooner rather than later and more income to boot, it is a small investment in the long run.
hashtagged
AG
Unemployed and skeptical of these services.

Considering this as an option ....
hashtagged
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

I'll add another endorsement for Jim. When I got laid off a couple weeks ago I decided it was a good opportunity to take a step up in my career. I contacted Jim and he worked with me to produce what appears to be a top notch resume. Very easy to work with and his attention to detail is great. His service is not what I consider cheap but if the finished product helps me get a job sooner rather than later and more income to boot, it is a small investment in the long run.

REI - Any progress on the job front ?
T_Sat18
AG
With out a doubt.... James is the way to go! He completely transformed my resume while highlighting my strong points all within a couple days work. Fast, efficient, and extremely professional.
JamesPShelley
T_Sat18 said:

With out a doubt.... James is the way to go! He completely transformed my resume while highlighting my strong points all within a couple days work. Fast, efficient, and extremely professional.
Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate them.

BrazosDog02
AG
Based on the recommendations on this board, I too utilized James' services for a resume re-write. I was afraid of how much it might cost and frankly, a bit arrogant thinking my existing resume was pretty good. However, I had gotten no bites on my existing resume in 3 months. To me, it's worth the money. I am very much a DIY'er, but sometimes, you need to recognize the value in having a pro help out. I'm in O&G, I'm competing with tens of thousands of people in my exact same situation. I can't afford to be white noise so I went ahead and contacted James. He took my existing resume, asked questions about me and what I did, and completely rebuilt it to be the document that it should be. Turnaround was very reasonable. I sent it right away to a few personal contacts and received positive comment on it hours afterward. It's far better than it was and far better than anything I would have ever come up with on my own. I definitely recommend his service!
civilized05
AG
I have to echo the poster's above regarding James' skills and turnaround time.

I thought my resume was pretty decent, however a little too "wordy." James helped trim it up and turn it into a succinct, eye-catching document that reads worlds better than what I was able to put together. James' communication was fantastic and asked for any and all information to help craft a document truly tailored to me.

Similar to BrazosDog, those of us in the energy industry impacted by the layoffs have to do everything we can to differentiate ourselves from the competition, and James' services provide that little extra bit.

Over the past two weeks I've submitted the revamped resume to a few opportunities, and while I haven't heard anything back yet, I do feel as though I'm now putting my best foot forward to get noticed.
JamesPShelley
Thank you for the continued kind words and assessments. I hope you enjoyed a festive season, and a Happy New Year's celebration. Wishing you continued success and prosperity.
Rock Ag
AG
I had a great experience with Jim as well. He is very professional and takes the time to ask questions about yourself and what you have done. The resume he produced is far better than what I had done on my own. It looks very professional and organized. He has a relatively quick turnaround time and he is very strict on himself about sticking to the deadlines he has set. He also writes exceptional cover letters. As a current graduate student trying to enter the O&G industry, using a resume and cover letter written by Jim is giving myself the best chance of landing a job. I absolutely recommend his services!
bonfarr
AG
Jim, email sent.

I look forward to working with you.
BeastmodeAg
AG
Jim I sent you a email I look forward to your help!
MemphisAg1
AG
JamesPShelley said:

Thank you for the continued kind words and assessments. I hope you enjoyed a festive season, and a Happy New Year's celebration. Wishing you continued success and prosperity.
James, what's your contact information? I know somebody who might benefit from your service.

Edit: n/m. I found it on your profile and will reach out to you.
NC2001
AG
It's been over 5 years since I used Jim to spruce up my resume, and I took advantage of his lifetime resume review. He took my 4 page resume and crafted a very well done professional resume for me. Very well worth the initial investment.
New Hampshire Ag
AG
Jim just did a resume and cover letter for my wife. I am amazed at the quality and highly recommend him to anyone! The difference in the resume before he worked on it and after is jaw dropping. Well worth the investment.
JamesPShelley
Likeke98 said:

Jim just did a resume and cover letter for my wife. I am amazed at the quality and highly recommend him to anyone! The difference in the resume before he worked on it and after is jaw dropping. Well worth the investment.
Thank you for the kind words.

Your wife shared with me a philosophy all should embrace:

"Go big, or go home."

koadie
AG
James, based on this thread, I just shot you an email. I look forward to working with you!
MsC2012
AG
BeastmodeAg
AG
Jim did a fabulous job with my resume', I have had no luck lately so I figured my resume needed assistance and boy was that true. Jim does wonders
FancyKetchup14
AG
Another thumbs up for Jim. I was in need of a resume do-over and had absolutely nowhere to start. I gave Jim my old resume and some current job details and my resume looks about 100x better. Sometimes it takes an outsiders perspective to get what you're looking for. Jim gave me an honest critique of my existing resume and provided really great feedback. He's extremely professional and responsive.
aggiespartan
AG
Jim did a resume for my husband. We think it's a very high quality resume. It's probably due to the industry, but he still has not gotten an interview after several months. Sometimes I guess a stellar resume isn't enough.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.