Job Network
Sponsored by

Good online resume template?

3,703 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JamesPShelley
ZooGuy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've looked for a while, and most of them won't work for what I'm trying to write (a combination resume highlighting job skills while also listing positions held). Does anyone have any advice?

TIA.
Post removed:
by user
Rudyjax
AG
I have been recruiting for 20 years. You're either qualified or not. No resume is going to convince someone you do not know to hire you if you don't have comparable experience.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Yeah, I have been using the same resume for over 15 years when I got out of grad. I just add to it and take out stuff that's less relevant or old. I've gotten new jobs with it 5 times.
JamesPShelley

I agree with Unthought Known except for one thing:

A resume is not engineered to get a person a job. The primary, and only, purpose of a resume is to inspire an invitation for an interview. Period. A solid resume can serve a person for many, many, years provided the language employed in the document qualifies that candidate for an opportunity.

Once you get the interview, the function of the resume has been completed. Objective attained. The candidate closes the deal.

ABATTBQ11
AG
As far as templates, I've found that using a big table in MS Word and hiding all of the borders is an effective way to align and format information. It is much easier than seeing up a ton of tab stops, and you can selectively turn borders on to create lines between sections and delineate different information.

Byw, what kind of job are you looking for?
ZooGuy
AG
My career of choice is natural resources, but I'm currently looking for something in management or training, which I've done in most jobs in my career, since most of my Natural resource jobs have required me to move all over and I'm done moving.
Bitter Old Man
AG
You might check out Workmonger.com, I think they do education related jobs....
dagger
AG
My favorite piece of advice comes from Laszlo Bock, former SVP of People Operations at Google.

Focus on content and try to get your accomplishments in the following format:

Accomplished [X] as measured by [Y] by doing [Z]
quote:
In other words, start with an active verb, numerically measure what you accomplished, provide a baseline for comparison, and detail what you did to achieve your goal. Consider the following two descriptions of the same work, and ask yourself which would look better on a resume:

[ol]
1) Studied financial performance of companies and made investment recommendations.[/ol]
[ol]
2) Improved portfolio performance by 12% ($1.2M) over one year by refining cost of capital calculations for information-poor markets and re-weighting portfolio based on resulting valuations[/ol]

When I've looked at my friends' resumes (and even my own) I've noticed that people in some industries don't keep good tabs on metrics and accomplishments. But Laszlo recommends trying to use this formula as much as possible.

This will work for those with a skills-based resume:
quote:
Candidate with skill-based resume
  • Skills: Excellent customer service skills. Friendly and positive attitude
  • Skills: Excellent customer service skills and positive attitude as demonstrated by receiving employee of the month in four consecutive months in 2014

This helped me when going through the job hunt in 2012 after leaving Afghanistan. YMMV.
ZooGuy
AG
Thanks for the assistance. I find myself in a situation where I need to find something else very quickly if possible. Nothing issue with my current job - something else.

I have a very good lead, but the job has not posted yet.

I signed up on Workmonger - thanks for the help. I'll take a look at my resume and make some changes based on this listing.
JamesPShelley
You are welcome to contact me.

https://texags.com/forums/18/topics/2766393
Texker
AG
I started working with Jim this week. Highly recommend him.
tramaro1
AG
BUMP.

Bringing this to the top, because I am looking for a good format as well. I have not been able to find anything that has a decent layout.
JamesPShelley
tramaro1 said:

BUMP.

Bringing this to the top, because I am looking for a good format as well. I have not been able to find anything that has a decent layout.
You might consider first focusing upon the content, as previous posters recommended, particularly the quantifiable information. Employers want their candidates to replicate historical successes, and you can't illustrate them by authoring a variety of content that reads like job description requisites.

Get the content down, then concern yourself with presenting it in a succinct, easy to digest fashion.

Best wishes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.