Job Network
Sponsored by

Let go after giving two weeks notice-eligible for pay?

25,212 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TMoney2007
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
78bc3 said:

As a side note: this scenario and the right to work environment highlight the reason you need a $1000 emergency fund and 3 months salary in the bank to weather storms.
This scenario and Right To Work have nothing to do with each other.

There's not a single scenario in this entire thread that has to do with Right to Work.
OnlyForNow
AG
An employer could label you a no re-hire for any reason, sticking around for two weeks or not.
Cyprian
AG
I have seen this happen to others but never to myself. Last time I turned a 2 week notice in I expected to be walked out, but it didn't happen. Probably because they wanted to know how I ran that part of the business (I was for the most part autonomous my last year there) However, after seeing it happen to several other people over the years it has taught me that if you ever do it, make sure and have whatever you want to take with you already at home, etc.
TMoney2007
AG
AgLA06 said:

Just so I understand the above.

If an employer has a requirement in the manual to require two weeks notice, they could fire you for cause if you give less and label you ineligible for rehire without any recourse from the employee.

However, if an employee follows the manual and gives two weeks they screw themselves and the employer can walk them out early without recourse from the employee.
The manual doesn't matter legally. If you give a resignation what difference does it make if they fire you for cause? If they're going to make you ineligible for rehire, they're just going to do that, as it is their prerogative.

If you can't handle not getting paid for 2 weeks, you've got issues.
AgLA06
AG
TMoney2007 said:

AgLA06 said:

If an employer has a requirement in the manual to require two weeks notice, they could fire you for cause if you give less and label you ineligible for rehire without any recourse from the employee.

However, if an employee follows the manual and gives two weeks they screw themselves and the employer can walk them out early without recourse from the employee.
The manual doesn't matter legally. If you give a resignation what difference does it make if they fire you for cause? If they're going to make you ineligible for rehire, they're just going to do that, as it is their prerogative.

The tone of your response tells me enough, but I'm thinking bigger than two weeks. All it takes is for another future employer down the line to call and find out you're ineligible for rehire (especially since you most likely wouldn't know) to torpedo your chance at a dream job.
TMoney2007
AG
AgLA06 said:

TMoney2007 said:

AgLA06 said:

The tone of your response tells me enough, but I'm thinking bigger than two weeks. All it takes is for another future employer down the line to call and find out you're ineligible for rehire (especially since you most likely wouldn't know) to torpedo your chance at a dream job.
They're not going to share that information. HR instructs them to confirm employment dates and that's it. If they "fire you for cause" because you resigned, I would tell the future prospective employer about that.

If you're going to complain about this, you might as well complain about all the great injustices in the world. What if one of your references lies and says you didn't work there? You'd probably never know. What if your contact at a previous employer says you aren't eligible for rehire even if you are?

There's no point in worrying about that. If a company wants to do something that hurts your ability to get another job, there are many ways, legal and illegal that they can do it. It's just the way of the world.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.