Freshman admissions - selecting a major?

4,160 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rptsAg03
BmtAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have a daughter who is applying for admission to TAMU for the fall of 2023. In order to be considered for admission, she must select a first and second choice major. I understand some majors are more selective, i.e. the colleges of engineering and business. She is currently interested in a career in speech pathology and we were advised a major in communications or public health would provide the best foundation to apply for graduate school for this career.

My question is whether selecting communications as a first choice and general studies as a second choice may give her a better chance of acceptance into the university. We learned public health only accepts around 500 students each year which will limit her chances. She is not top 10% but has a what I consider a very solid academic record and extracurricular involvement. She attends a small college preparatory high school with only 85 kids in her graduating class.
double b
AG
TAMU does not factor choice of major with their admission decision. It's all based on merit which is different from many institutions.

If you're admitted and a slot is open with that major, then you're placed into it. This is one of many reasons why TAMU should NOT use rolling admissions. They're the only school of their size and selectivity that does not use an Early Action decision period.

So in short, put down what you want because it won't make a difference with their decision.
BmtAg96
AG
double b said:

TAMU does not factor choice of major with their admission decision. It's all based on merit which is different from many institutions.

If you're admitted and slot is open with that major, then you're placed into it. This is one of many reasons why TAMU should NOT use rolling admissions. They're the only school of their size and selectivity that does not use an Early Action decision period.

So in short, put down what you want because it won't make a difference with their decision.

Thank you for replying. So I understand, if someone applies to the college of business and engineering and they are considered qualified based on merit but those programs are full is the student offered an alternative major?
double b
AG
Correct.
BmtAg96
AG
double b said:

Correct.
do majors have different merit standards?
double b
AG
Engineering is the only one that has some different requirements, mainly math preparation.
BoDog
AG
Not to hijack but I have first hand authority of two kids who both selected anthropology as their first choice and got in. I am 110% certain that would have not been the case had they selected business. Just saying....
ReveilleBark
AG
Please tell me what makes you so certain.
BoDog
AG
ReveilleBark said:

Honestly, simple inductive reasoning based upon HS grades/class rank as well as below avg test scores.
ReveilleBark
AG
BoDog said:

ReveilleBark said:

Honestly, simple inductive reasoning based upon HS grades/class rank as well as below avg test scores.
There's most likely other factors you aren't considering.
double b
AG
ReveilleBark said:

BoDog said:

ReveilleBark said:

Yeah I would agree too. I bet you were a family that could afford to pay the full cost of attendance.
BoDog
AG
double b said:

ReveilleBark said:

BoDog said:

ReveilleBark said:

Yeah I would agree too. I bet you were a family that could afford to pay the full cost of attendance.
WTF does paying full cost of tuition have to do with with the two anthro majors who did not have resume of the typical biz or engineering kid?

I have slept since I went through this process with my kids but I dont believe the ability to pay questions were offered up before being admitted...? Now Baylor on the otherhand was the opposite. I remember that practically being the first question on the application.
double b
AG
College admissions is a game or system to be worked if that is what you want to call it. One of those factors with respect to admission decisions is the ability of families to pay, and how much. Some colleges are need-blind, which means, they admit students without consideration of their ability to pay. Texas A&M is considered a need-aware school, which means it will make admissions decisions with the applicant's ability to pay taken into account. Typically, this does not harm a student with financial needs. However, each college is searching for a portion of their admitted students who can pay the full cost of attendance to help them meet their budgetary needs. Also, if you submitted the scholarship application, then you provided the school with financial information.

I'm not saying that is the only reason your child was admitted. However, this coupled with the fact they chose a major with low applicants probably increased their odds by some small percentage for admission.

TXTransplant
BoDog said:

double b said:

ReveilleBark said:

BoDog said:

ReveilleBark said:

WTF does paying full cost of tuition have to do with with the two anthro majors who did not have resume of the typical biz or engineering kid?

I have slept since I went through this process with my kids but I dont believe the ability to pay questions were offered up before being admitted...? Now Baylor on the otherhand was the opposite. I remember that practically being the first question on the application.

When my son completed the admissions application a couple of months ago, there were questions about my salary and the value of savings/investment accounts. They just wanted to know amounts, and there were no direct questions about what you can "afford", but I suspect they take the information provided and make their own decisions.
BoDog
AG
double b said:

College admissions is a game or system to be worked if that is what you want to call it. One of those factors with respect to admission decisions is the ability of families to pay, and how much. Some colleges are need-blind, which means, they admit students without consideration of their ability to pay. Texas A&M is considered a need-aware school, which means it will make admissions decisions with the applicant's ability to pay taken into account. Typically, this does not harm a student with financial needs. However, each college is searching for a portion of their admitted students who can pay the full cost of attendance to help them meet their budgetary needs. Also, if you submitted the scholarship application, then you provided the school with financial information.

I'm not saying that is the only reason your child was admitted. However, this coupled with the fact they chose a major with low applicants probably increased their odds by some small percentage for admission.

If true this is kind of fascination on may levels. What are some of the schools that are are beyond "need -aware"

Also the aforementioned case study were not my kids. Mine is at SMU (which I imagine are "need" on steroids) and likely soon to be Florida State.
KatyAggie01
BmtAg96 said:

double b said:

If you're admitted and slot is open with that major, then you're placed into it. This is one of many reasons why TAMU should NOT use rolling admissions. They're the only school of their size and selectivity that does not use an Early Action decision period.

Thank you for replying. So I understand, if someone applies to the college of business and engineering and they are considered qualified based on merit but those programs are full is the student offered an alternative major?
In this scenario, my son is an AP student, Stem track at Katy High with a 4.2 GPA but not top 10% (actually at 13%). He also plays football, in NHS, PALS, etc. If he applies to Engr and Business and doesn't get in, A&M can put him in something like Sociology? This seems odd. I assume this is known and shared once he's accepted so he can make an informed decision (e.g. Engr at OU vs. Sociology at A&M). Is this correct? Also, is there a chance of transferring into Engr or Business once at A&M or is this no longer allowed. This is all very new to me. Thanks.
1Aggie99
AG
Reggie,

Going through this now with our son who sounds comparable to yours in terms of class standing, extras, and all. When applying he had to select 2 choices of majors. Engineering was #1 and I believe BioMed or something #2. He can get into A&M but not engineering as there is an additional process. A&M could also offer his 2nd choice if qualified or Blinn Team, Galveston, etc.

I don't think they randomly assign you a major if your 1st choice is full or you do not qualify. Could be wrong as my wife and son have done all of the heavy lifting, I just provide smart ass commentary from time to time.

Accepted at UH and Auburn as of now so he knows he's going to college somewhere!!

Good luck with it all. Way to damn complicated of a process in my opinion but whatever.
KatyAggie01
Thanks. Curious, did Auburn offer scholarship money or waive out of state tuition? I've heard schools like Arkansas, OU, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc. will do this as they somewhat covet the Texas kids that are right outside of the top 10% knowing this cadre of student is still better caliber then they'll see with most of their in-state applicants.
1Aggie99
AG
Not sure yet. Received email confirmation but waiting info packet with more details. Just found out about a week ago.
double b
AG
Reggiesankles said:

BmtAg96 said:

double b said:

In this scenario, my son is an AP student, Stem track at Katy High with a 4.2 GPA but not top 10% (actually at 13%). He also plays football, in NHS, PALS, etc. If he applies to Engr and Business and doesn't get in, A&M can put him in something like Sociology? This seems odd. I assume this is known and shared once he's accepted so he can make an informed decision (e.g. Engr at OU vs. Sociology at A&M). Is this correct? Also, is there a chance of transferring into Engr or Business once at A&M or is this no longer allowed. This is all very new to me. Thanks.
In this scenario, your student would most likely be asked to select another major through their HOWDY portal. The odds of transferring into either one is a possibility but both have their challenges and are not guarantees. My question to you, why take that risk? If your choice of major is so important, explore a set of schools that allows your student that opportunity.
TXTransplant
Reggiesankles said:

Thanks. Curious, did Auburn offer scholarship money or waive out of state tuition? I've heard schools like Arkansas, OU, Auburn, Ole Miss, etc. will do this as they somewhat covet the Texas kids that are right outside of the top 10% knowing this cadre of student is still better caliber then they'll see with most of their in-state applicants.

My son got his acceptance to Auburn engineering over the weekend. The scholarship applications don't open until Nov 1.

What you are talking about (scholarships based on GPA and/or ACT/SAT test scores alone) are offered by Mississippi State. My son has already earned $25k in tuition scholarships just based on his GPA, ACT, and Eagle Scout and my alumni status. He's applied for more engineering-specific scholarships. They don't waive out of state tuition, though. It's all on a scholarship basis.

I think Auburn does something similar with out of state tuition, but since the scholarship application isn't open yet, I can't say for sure.

If your son wants to do engineering, I would absolutely choose Mississippi State or Auburn over Ole Miss. I'd probably choose Alabama over Ole Miss, too. This is coming from someone who has a PhD in engineering and used to teach engineering at a university. I had a short list of schools with engineering programs that I told my son I would not pay for him to attend. Ole Miss was on that list.
KatyAggie01
What about OU compared to Auburn and Miss State?
TXTransplant
OU was on the "approved" list. He didn't apply because his family is in TX and MS, so he figured he'd stay close to one parent or the other.

I think they do in-state tuition reciprocity for adjacent states, but verify that. Comes from a coworker whose kid applied there last year.
rptsAg03
I believe if they don't get 1st or 2nd choice, they go general studies and can select from there, but I could have misunderstood this. I have heard Ag business is a good second choice to business for transferring in later. I don't know anything about engineering, but business accepts something like 1100 freshman applicants and about 100 transfer applicants yearly, per the tour guide. If you get a chance to do the prospective admissions tour, and tour each college individually, those can be very informative. Son got most of his helpful information from those sessions.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.