A&M Admissions question: Test Optional

4,985 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 3rd Platoon
3rd Platoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm hoping that someone who works in admissions at A&M can answer this for me.

Of the Fall 2022 freshman applicants, what percentage of them applied Test Optional? How has this affected admissions to A&M?
double b
AG
As an educational consultant, I have noticed that my clients who submitted scores heard back sooner from admissions while some of my TO clients are still waiting to learn of their admission decision.

I will say that this year, the logic of TAMUs admission decisions are less predictable than any of the previous 10 years I've been in this industry. However, the one constant I consistently see is that a strong test score can make up for a lot in one's application if you're outside the top 10 percent. I've had a few clients outside of the top quarter of their class receive full admission or the gateway option with strong essays coupled with a solid test score.
3rd Platoon
AG
Like you, I'm also an IEC. I have many students who apply to A&M every year. Anecdotally speaking, I've observed that my clients who heard back earlier also submitted scores, but only Top 10% were outright admitted, save for a few very highly accomplished performers with Engineering aspirations (1500 SAT, Top 12%ish at competitive public school in DFW, straight A's, AP Calculus BC and AP Physics C, etc). My students who did not meet Top 10% or the example profile I gave were all offered waitlist, waitlist with Blinn TEAM option, or PSA. There has not been any in between; there have not been many holistic review admits to this point.

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm on the admissions advisory board for an out of state public university, and their Test-Optional applicants increased dramatically this year. Fall 2021 applicants comprised 20% of their pool last year, but it's increased to 46% this year, and it's muddied their waters significantly. It's also made the admission decision very, very gray; at no point can they rely on old formulaic protocols. This is especially true (and an internal question for them) for merit scholarships, and much emphasis is being put on "non-cognitive" personal statements and extracurricular leadership/involvement.

Can admissions for A&M shed any light? I've had several students who would've easily been admitted last year that basically were told "thanks, but no thanks" this year. TO has got to be playing some role.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
For Test Optional, the scores cannot hurt an applicant but they can help if the scores are good. So it's a good idea to submit them either way.
double b
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

For Test Optional, the scores cannot hurt an applicant but they can help if the scores are good. So it's a good idea to submit them either way.

Can you elaborate on what your office defines as a good score? That statement seems to indicate that good test scores can be a deciding factor in the admission decision.
3rd Platoon
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

That doesn't answer my questions in the OP.
double b
AG
I guess this thread is dead? Are their any families on here regretting that their child did not submit test scores?
Leander - Ag
AG
double b said:

I guess this thread is dead? Are their any families on here regretting that their child did not submit test scores?

Yep. Not sure if it's too late to submit.
double b
AG
Leander - Ag said:

double b said:

Yep. Not sure if it's too late to submit.
I believe materials were due December 8th.
3rd Platoon
AG
Just thinking anecdotally, but did A&M over-admit last year and have too big of a freshman class and are making up for it this year? I've seen some really odd admission decisions being made. Numbers HAVE to be factoring into the overall, possibly as much or more so than ever.
DannyDuberstein
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

In the game of admissions with a finite number of spots, i'm curious how this can actually be true. Seems like those that submit good scores elevate themselves and take up admissions spots (deservedly so)
wxmanX
30-31 ACT high enough?
double b
AG
wxmanX said:

30-31 ACT high enough?
What is your child's class percentile ranking?
wxmanX
No clue, our school doesn't do ranking, only ranking of top 10%.
3.9 GPA.
RanchMom
We made the mistake of submitting test optional. My son still hasn't heard back from A&M even though he applied in August. He also attends a very small rural school where he is one of four students in his graduating class. Even though his GPA is 3.9 he is ranked #2 which puts him in second quarter. I wish we would have known that 'test optional' really does matter. He would've prepared and submitted scores.
3rd Platoon
AG
wxmanX said:

30-31 ACT high enough?
That depends on several other factors as well. Colleges will look at things like intended major, grade trends, overall GPA, course rigor, and of course.....subjective extracurriculars. The days of formulaic admissions are virtually over.

I'm working with a student who applied to be a Public Health major. She's top 15% at a very competitive public high school in DFW (shows at Top 25% on her Howdy Portal). She has a 1330 SAT (670 Math, 660 EW). She was offered Waitlist with Blinn TEAM option review. She also has some very good extracurricular leadership and involvement, so she's a well-rounded kid with solid criteria. It's frustrating, because kids like that used to be absolute no-brainer admits up until very recently.

I'm worried that suburban kids that go to competitive high schools are going to be left out in the cold by A&M.
NomadicAggie
AG
I have a son who is a senior this year at one of those competitive DFW area suburban high schools. My son has also applied and not heard back yet, although we're not optimistic. He has better grades and better test scores than I did at his age, but from all we've heard and seen it will likely not be enough. In fact, he's had it drilled into his head for so long that if you're not top 10 percent, then to forget about it, that he's already zoned in on another school and I'm not sure even an acceptance to A&M would matter much to him anymore.

He's top 10-25%, good test scores and great extracurriculars. I get that the state is bigger and things are more competitive, but getting into A&M and UT is more about how you play the system than it is anything else. These schools are not for the average Texan any longer.

We're still holding out hope, but from what I hear and read, our money and our attention will be going elsewhere. I wish that were not the case.
wxmanX
wxmanX
NomadicAggie, which school is he zoned in on?
NomadicAggie
AG
Auburn
BoDog
AG
War Eagle, baby!!!

Auburn and FSU are high on my youngest son's list but I think he is going to SMU. I really like Auburn, but good God its hard to get to. All he talked about regarding FSU were the girls so mom ruled that out.
r12
AG
My daughter got into the Blinn Engineering combined program in College Station, TEAB, in January. She is very happy about it. Her SAT was 1380, 700 math 680 English and she is in the top 25% of her class at a large Houston 6A. . Just a few short years ago, like maybe even two years ago, it would have been a full admit. She was just relieved to get the offer to be in College Station and live on campus. It's crazy how much more difficult it is quickly getting.

She looked very hard at Auburn as well, beautiful campus, SEC, nice people and they offered her scholarship money. In the end her Aggie maroon blood won out.

As for not submitting test scores, I think it hurts. From what we've seen, her friends that did not submit them, unless they were top 10%, they have either heard nothing or are on waitlist for full admit or TEAM

She's our youngest so we are done. Any parents with kids planning to apply, start educating yourself now on what it takes and all of the pathways that can be offered if your heart is set on A&M
DannyDuberstein
AG
Good to hear. Totally agree on scores. With a finite number of spots, if a good score can help someone as they say it can (and I am confident it did with my daughter last year), then by default not submitting one has to be a negative. Zero sum game.
double b
AG
For those considering Engineering, I caution you to explore the ETAM process. Students must now achieve a 3.75 GPA to enter their engineering discipline of choice. This is why I have several top end students considering UT - Austin and Purdue over rolling the dice at Texas A&M.
r12
AG
Agree. It's one of the reasons Auburn was so tempting. But she is determined to make it work. She has a sibling that went through ETAM and got his first choice, despite not being auto. He had a 3.25. She's competitive and plans to out score him :-). We will see.
wxmanX
No one scored 1300+ on their SATs in the 1980s. If they did, they went to Harvard.

r12
AG
Isn't that the truth! I think I got a 1020 in 1988 and went right to A&M, never crossed my mind that I might not be accepted. I think the test is different now. Lots of kids score 1400 or higher. In the 80's that would have been an Einstein like score.
3rd Platoon
AG
r12 said:

Isn't that the truth! I think I got a 1020 in 1988 and went right to A&M, never crossed my mind that I might not be accepted. I think the test is different now. Lots of kids score 1400 or higher. In the 80's that would have been an Einstein like score.
Yeah, I graduated high school in 1995 with a Top 10% ranking and a 27 ACT. I stumbled into the Top 10% without even trying at my old high school. I wouldn't have a prayer at any of the suburban Texas high schools nowadays with my profile.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.