Son accepted to A&M - Scholarship questions and guidance needed

3,403 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dirk Diggler
Pinguino
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Howdy!

I originally posted this message in the Football Forum and I was advised to post it here. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3261875/replies/61140767

"Howdy!

I am pleased to say that my son was recently accepted to the Fightin Texas Aggie Class of 2026! Whoop!

While the news was great to hear, we are unfamiliar with the entire scholarship process. He is in high school athletics, honor society, captain of wrestling team, and so far he is the salutatorian for his graduating class.

Can anyone point us in the right direction in order to maximize the financial benefit he can receive?

AFR Related because he was thinking about trying out for the 12th Man on the kickoff team...

Thanks in advance."

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3261875/replies/61140767
Quique
AG
Congratulations. I am sure you are proud.

1- your son's application if it was filled out right automatically applied for financial aid and scholarships

2 - tell your son to get after it and look for opp's himself…. There are literally hundreds if not thousands available on the internet
sek92
AG
My kids filled out the universal scholarship form and all the university and department schollies came from that application. Once they started they were eligible for continuing Ed scholarships.
All non university scholarship, we did ourselves

As the other poster said, their job in the summer and winter was to look for scholarships
one MEEN Ag
AG
Congrats, now here's where the bummer is. There are only a couple of major categories of scholarships. The biggest slice of the pie is socioeconomic related, and gets heavier on the socio side every year. Next up is merit based. Straight up will the university, or an outside group give you a scholarship to join their ranks because of your smarts (these still can lean heavy on the socioeconomics). The smaller categories are local scholarships, parents company related, etc.

If your son got national merit finalist, it gets way easier to get merit scholarships.

If your son is caucasian, heterosexual, and christian he'd be better doing a cursory glance at the scholarships and then just go get a summer job mowing lawns or doing other work. If you're even somewhat successful, FAFSA is going to look at you and tell you to pay up.
iisanaggie
AG
If he hasn't already, he needs to contact his school counselor. They should have access to local and school district related scholarships (Lions Club, booster clubs, PTO's, etc). After checking with the counselor, start calling or searching for businesses in your area that offer scholarships. I saw a post today that our local PD is awarding scholarships.

It can be a lot of work, but applying for smaller scholarships can really be helpful. Every $200, $500, etc adds up.
Dirk Diggler
AG
Contact the Army ROTC department. 4,3,2, and 1 year scholarships covering full tuition available. A&M now matches the rotc scholarship and will cover room and board
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.