Online vs In Person Classes

2,268 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Troy91
H-town ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am hearing from recent families that attended New Student Conferences that many freshmen are being assigned online classes vs in person options. Are they just running out of room for freshman classes?
Trucker 96
They register themselves. Not sure how they are being assigned anything. My daughter registered at this week's NSC - every class registered for is in person.
H-town ag
AG
Fore Left! said:

They register themselves. Not sure how they are being assigned anything. My daughter registered at this week's NSC - every class registered for is in person.
Thanks for the response. When I used the word "assigned" I was not clear ... I meant their individual meeting with the academic advisor to register ... the student had four in person classes picked out ahead of time and then when the time came to meet with the advisor, they said most of them were full and registered them 3 out of 4 classes online ... only 1 in person. I encouraged them that there will be time to make changes and to look for more in person classes. I just did not know if this was the trend, the norm, or an exception.
Trucker 96
It definitely required a fair amount of homework and prep on my daughter's part beforehand to mock up some schedules and some backups, and it was helpful for her to look up how many spots were available in these prospective classes to see which should be easy to get vs which ones might disappear before she would be able to lock them in. But when the time came, she got her first choice setup which was a surprisingly good schedule for a fish, all in person, and all fit the degree plan progression very well.

In any case, I would encourage your kid to explore the degree plan pretty thoroughly. The advisors will star ones that makes sense now, but they are mostly just doing what they can to help make it easier for the more clueless ones to at least have a schedule that will take a proper step forward toward the degree plan. But there are a ton of combinations this early that work equally well, and some are classes that may not necessarily be starred but still work just as well

In advance, your kid can use the Howdy portal to view the courses, see the available classes (including how many spots), and complete a registration worksheet that is basically the schedule they want. Then registration is hopefully just a button push when the moment arrives.
Troy91
AG
A few of the big fish classes have a few online sections.

I think the Howdy course registration planner is locked until after NSC. My oldest showed my youngest a separate website which is available to pre plan a schedule since Howdy is locked for fish.
Trucker 96
It may open and close depending in the NSC they are signed up for. My daughter used it to prep and registered at NSC last week. I'm sure some of the colleges manage the process somewhat differently, but in her case, she was able to prep and have it ready to go so that actual registration was literally a couple of button pushes.
Troy91
AG
Yes, my youngest's NSC was 6/3-6/4. If you check out your college's proposed degree plan and have the student build a few schedules, the actual registration goes very quickly.

Aggiescheduler.com was the website that we used.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.