Help explain these admission choices please...

5,760 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TAMUAdmissions
A1_Ag_95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Close family friend wants to be in CStat, but not sure what engineering at blinn entails and what this pathway means for being in A&M engineering on the CS campus. Thx!
histag10
AG
All 3 of those options could potentially get you to CS within a year or 2. Engineering at Galveston just means you spend a year or two doing the first few classes in GV (you can still get a sports pass for CS), and then you do ETAM which will likely put you in CS.

Engineering at McAllen is essentially the same (from my limited understanding).

Engineering at Blinn is like Blinn TEAM, but for Engineering. They take dual classes at both places and after 2 years, they go through ETAM (assuming grades are good).

This is my understanding from it.
WhoHe
AG
This is my understanding as well, but I'll add that these three options are considered full admission to TAMU.

Blinn Engineering gives you full privileges - you can live on campus, be in the Corps, rush a fraternity or sorority, have a dining plan, etc. You just have to take your first two math and science classes at Blinn, which are taught by TAMU professors, and all of your other classes are on main campus. Once you complete those 4 courses at Blinn you go through ETAM like everyone else and get your specific engineering major.

At least this is what I understand ... hope it's all accurate!
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Details are always available online at https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/academies/blinn-bryan/index.html

https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted has a listing of alternative admission decisions and other pathways which all have links for further details.

You also can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950 to discuss after reviewing the above links..
A1_Ag_95
AG
Thanks for the links. Based on that page, who wouldn't want to save money? What is downside to the Blinn Engineering route vs. being fully accepted to CS campus? And why would that option not be offered to all applicants?

Thanks!
WhoHe
AG
In my opinion, the only literal downside I can see to TEAB is that you have to hop on a bus to Rellis twice each week from main campus. But if you're living off campus already, like many freshman do, then you'd be riding a bus to main campus to begin with.

As far as why it isn't offered to everyone, at the end of the day the higher-priority students get offered main campus first, then the remaining qualified students get offered TEAB, or Galveston/McAllen. If TAMU gave everyone the TEAB offer choice, they might have a problem filling all the main campus spots! Just my opinion though.
nickrr96
AG
I did TEAB (class of '18) so I can't speak for the others but would highly recommend it. The only downside (it's not much of one) as mentioned is taking the bus or driving. I took my maths and sciences there and then came to A&M full time after 3 semesters. There is a common misconception that it's easier than full time and that's not true. TEAB was actually a good thing for me because the class sizes are smaller and you develop a closer connection to the professors. I also want to throw in that it is doable with Corps if that something they are interested in.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
We suggest calling an admissions counselor at the number above for more in depth info after reviewing the links (such as Engineering at Blinn).

Although some students would rather have all their classes at A&M, Engineering at Blinn has worked out well for many students. As noted on the link, an engineering student removed from the program for either academic or disciplinary reasons will not be allowed to continue enrollment nor be guaranteed admission to Texas A&M. Continued enrollment at Blinn College will be at the discretion of Blinn College officials.

There is not enough room to make that offer to all applicants.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.