What if no class rank?

3,008 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mccjames
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We live in Blue Valley School District in Overland Park, KS....highly rated school district.

My kids are still in elementary school, but do well...in GT program and oldest is now on "accelerated Math"

I'm familiar with top 10% rule and admissions using class rank. However, Blue Valley School district no longer has class rank...not even an option. You get your GPA, but that is it...NO RANK, NO VALIDICTORIAN, etc...

How will A&M view this when time to apply? Are they at a disadvantage with no class rank...particularly if they would be in top 10% of highly rated district?

TexAg2001
AG
Quito said:

We live in Blue Valley School District in Overland Park, KS....highly rated school district.

My kids are still in elementary school, but do well...in GT program and oldest is now on "accelerated Math"

I'm familiar with top 10% rule and admissions using class rank. However, Blue Valley School district no longer has class rank...not even an option. You get your GPA, but that is it...NO RANK, NO VALIDICTORIAN, etc...

How will A&M view this when time to apply? Are they at a disadvantage with no class rank...particularly if they would be in top 10% of highly rated district?

Are you sure they don't create a class rank for and seniors applying to college? My boys go to a private high school in Houston that doesn't rank. However, when my senior started applying to colleges, the school created a rank to put on the transcripts that were sent to schools that used rank as consideration for admission.
Quito
AG
There is no class rank. This started in a phased approach beginning in 2016.

2016-2020 had the option to request class rank on their transcript. Starting with 2021 there is no option...it's not computed or included on transcript.

https://www.kshb.com/news/education/blue-valley-schools-to-stop-computing-class-rank-starting-with-class-of-2020

Quote:

According to Blue Valley Schools' news release:
Quote:

"The change in the reporting of class rank supports a local and national trend among colleges to use a variety of factors when evaluating applicants. Making class rank optional also supports a recommendation from high school counselors, principals and district office administrators, as well as the district's Curriculum and Instruction committee, to value the hard work of all students by eliminating an environment of stress and undue competition among students related to class rank."

C1NRB
AG
From my understanding, the "Top 10% Rule" only applies to graduates in the state of Texas.

"You may qualify for automatic admission to many public universities in Texas through the Top 10% Rule. To meet the requirements, you must graduate in the top 10% of your class at a recognized public or private high school in Texas or a high school operated by the U.S. Department of Defense and be a Texas resident or eligible to pay resident tuition."

http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?objectid=24937C2A-D8B0-34EB-1FC5AF875A28C616
Quito
AG
I've heard they honor outside top 10%, but don't know.

It does state that for "Review Admits"

- your application and essay

- class rank and SAT and/or ACT scores

- extracurricular activities, community service, leadership, employment and summer activities
talents, awards and honors

Momster
A&M will assign a rank based on school profile, test scores (if available) etc. All review admits are ranked as top quarter, second quarter, third quarter, etc. As mentioned top 10% is in state only, but I imagine an OOS student with exceptional academics would be given every consideration available by the committee just like any other review candidate.
TexAg2001
AG
I'd be curious to know the acceptance statistics of top 10% vs review admits. I could be wrong, but it feels like so many spots would be taken by top 10% that there wouldn't be many spots available for review admits.
Momster
It's actually online somewhere. I think the most recent year I found was 2019. But in years past the auto admits and top 10% took up over half the class, leaving a pretty slim chance for review admits. Now that academic admit is gone, more students are reviewed holistically. I think they are splitting up the engineering majors as well. Both of those things give more kids opportunities to be at A&M sooner. When you have over 50k applications and strive to admit a class around 10-11k, there are many, many bright kids left on the outside looking in. But A&M does a good job of providing many pathways to get there. It's not where you start, but where you finish!
mccjames
AG
Things have changed since my daughter applied class of 23. However we had similar situation, A&M just assigned her based on what they thought. In her case outside of 25% even though she had 5 AP test of 4-5, national merit commended scholar, and a 1460 on SAT.

She ended up going Blinn Team, moving to full time A&M and currently is a Sophomore with a 4.0.

It is tough to go through 48000 applications. The system is not perfect but if you really want to be there you can do it, you might have to swallow some pride, but my daughter would tell you it is worth it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.