Admission to Team Blinn/Waitlist?

10,529 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by tcfitz3
aggal98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter just received word that she was not accepted to A&M directly (surprisingly, actually... she is top 12% and is an IB diploma candidate, over 250 volunteer hours, multiple leadership awards, extra-curricular activities and works 2 jobs)... regardless, she was asked if she wanted to be waitlisted or considered for Team Blinn. We said yes to both. Does anyone know how long until the decision for Team Blinn is made? What about the waitlist? Anyone have any time frame for that decision? A little heartbroken but still hopeful!
mccjames
AG
I cannot answer the timeline or waitlist, however, I can tell you that Team is an excellent program and my daughter, who was also just outside of top 10 and scored a 1460 on SAT entered A&M under Team.

They did a great job and she enrolled full time after one year in team.

As she is a 3rd gen Aggie we had a lot of angst over Team but it turned out to be awesome and she knocked out some harder courses with much smaller class and professors who actually taught the same class at A&M.
WhoHe
AG
What was her requested major? Prior to this year, wasn't top quarter and a 1460 academic admit automatically? So was her major full so they offered her TEAM or another major?
aggal98
AG
WhoHe said:

What was her requested major? Prior to this year, wasn't top quarter and a 1460 academic admit automatically? So was her major full so they offered her TEAM or another major?
Her major is Psychology - I don't think that would be full. And yes, she would have been academic admit based on previous requirements, so I can only assume they had more top 10% apply than normal years. The problem is that we didn't get an offer for TEAM... she is still being considered for TEAM.
aggal98
AG
mccjames said:

I cannot answer the timeline or waitlist, however, I can tell you that Team is an excellent program and my daughter, who was also just outside of top 10 and scored a 1460 on SAT entered A&M under Team.

They did a great job and she enrolled full time after one year in team.

As she is a 3rd gen Aggie we had a lot of angst over Team but it turned out to be awesome and she knocked out some harder courses with much smaller class and professors who actually taught the same class at A&M.
I will be A-OK with a TEAM admittance. I just wish it would have come with the message that she didn't get in after review.
WhoHe
AG
Sorry ... that question was for mccjames ... because that response didn't make sense - if she was top quarter with that SAT prior to this year, she would have been an academic admit and not offered TEAM.

As for your situation, we are in the same boat, but with engineering. Last year, she would have been an academic admit - of course, that wouldn't have guarantee admission into engineering, but it would have been automatic admission to the university.

This year, however, she is considered holistic and ended up being offered TEAB, which is the engineering academy at Blinn. Still a fantastic opportunity and she's thrilled to have received that.

I did speak with an admissions advisor who mentioned applications were up about 30% this year - from 42K to 55K. However, it wasn't necessarily the top 10% kids that accounted for the increase - it was the test-optional offer that caused a lot more bubble kids to apply since they assumed they had a chance with a low or no test score.

So it appears to be the perfect storm for many kids to get overlooked - not only were they already having to holistically review an additional 15k applications that would have academic auto admission last year, but there's also the addition of another 13K applications this year over last - I can't imagine they were prepared for that kind of influx.

Frustrating to say the least, but this has been such an insane year how could they have been prepared?

Best of luck to your student - hopefully the TEAM offer comes through!
aggal98
AG
WhoHe said:

Sorry ... that question was for mccjames ... because that response didn't make sense - if she was top quarter with that SAT prior to this year, she would have been an academic admit and not offered TEAM.

As for your situation, we are in the same boat, but with engineering. Last year, she would have been an academic admit - of course, that wouldn't have guarantee admission into engineering, but it would have been automatic admission to the university.

This year, however, she is considered holistic and ended up being offered TEAB, which is the engineering academy at Blinn. Still a fantastic opportunity and she's thrilled to have received that.

I did speak with an admissions advisor who mentioned applications were up about 30% this year - from 42K to 55K. However, it wasn't necessarily the top 10% kids that accounted for the increase - it was the test-optional offer that caused a lot more bubble kids to apply since they assumed they had a chance with a low or no test score.

So it appears to be the perfect storm for many kids to get overlooked - not only were they already having to holistically review an additional 15k applications that would have academic auto admission last year, but there's also the addition of another 13K applications this year over last - I can't imagine they were prepared for that kind of influx.

Frustrating to say the least, but this has been such an insane year how could they have been prepared?

Best of luck to your student - hopefully the TEAM offer comes through!
Gotcha. And thank you! We are waiting patiently and hoping for good news soon! Congrats on the TEAB offer! That's wonderful!
mccjames
AG
Her school did not rank and only gave top 10%

When that happens A&M takes your GPA and guess as to your rank. They put her outside 25% we never were able to determine if that was correct or not due to policy at the school she attended.

For what it is worth Auburn gave her in state tuition and presidential scholarship. Clemson also gave her a pretty hefty scholarship.

Here year was pretty crazy and really showed their needed to be a change in admission process due to the massive numbers and grade mining.

Not going into that much but one of her friends had a 4.5 with tons of AP at a Houston HS. including a 4.0 AP English. She asked my daughter to proof a paper and my daughter was shocked at the grammar and writing.

She also found a ton of friends with 4.0 AP grades who either failed or did not even take the AP exam.

Anyway that is a whole different topic.
BoDog
AG
As having kiddos coming up through HS, threads like this still blow me away.

Your daughter bats a 1460 SAT and is in top 12% (probably from a VERY competitive HS-unlike most of the districts in Texas that are a complete joke) and still gets deferred, TEAM, etc?

I must say, as parents you all are taking these outcomes much better than me. I would give A&M the finger and move on (along with your $$) to those other offers that have practically the same reputation if not better than A&M. Offering a hybrid juco route to a student of these qualifications is an insult!

The unintended consequences of the top 10% rule still wreak havoc on some of this state's best and brightest.
WhoHe
AG
Just to be fair, I think you're combining stats for two different posters ... one was top 12%, but the one with the 1460 was outside the top 25%. That changes the narrative dramatically. Even with a 1460 SAT, if you're in the second quartile, you've got an uphill battle to get full admission. And the top 12% is simply considered top quartile, but we don't know her test scores.

Yes, I would agree that top 12% with a 1460 would be shocking not to get full admission.

Unfortunately, I've got a HS senior that has been going through this admission process this year, and so I know way more than I care to know about criteria, stats and other details. The reality is that TAMU is receiving more applications from qualified kids than it can offer enrollment to, so programs like Blinn TEAM give these "bubble" kids a clear pathway to main campus if they choose to go that route. It's a fantastic offer - when you can live on campus and enjoy most of the privileges of a full admission student, while knocking out some difficult core courses in smaller classrooms, it's not like going to JUCO and transferring in.

When I went to TAMU, I can't recall anyone that applied and didn't get in that surprised me - but now I'm floored by the caliber of kid in my daughter's school that is getting denied. It's just a different time and Texas is pumping out more quality high school graduates every year than TAMU and tu can accommodate.

What Texas really needs is a third large state institution to evolve into a legit third option for these outstanding students to seriously consider. That hasn't happened yet, and so schools like OU, OSU, Arkansas, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, LSU, etc., are enrolling tons of Texas kids who don't see a legit third option in our state.
casey3z
Do you feel like Texas Tech or UTD is not a valid third option within the state? Just curious, as I didn't think their reputation was *that* bad.
histag10
AG
casey3z said:

Do you feel like Texas Tech or UTD is not a valid third option within the state? Just curious, as I didn't think their reputation was *that* bad.

Hasnt Tech been on accreditation probation for like the last decade? I would no longer consider them competitive. As far as UTD, personally, I think UNT is more competitive.

histag10
AG
To be fair, I know a ton of top 10% kids who were envious of the kids that got offered TEAM. For many, TEAM is seen as a more desirable option, as you often avoid the major weed out classes at TAMU, and the smaller classes help you transition to college life a little better (and you still have all the perks of being a FT TAMU student)
BoDog
AG
Do I read it correct that TEAM gets you on campus housing? Is the time-rame one year and with a certain GPA you are guaranteed admission?
histag10
AG
BoDog said:

Do I read it correct that TEAM gets you on campus housing? Is the time-rame one year and with a certain GPA you are guaranteed admission?

Yes, you can live on campus and be part of TEAM. It is a 2 year program I believe of basically general studies, and then you declare a major (must meet major GPA requirements)

There really is no "downside" to TEAM unless you wanted to go engineering or business, which you pretty much have to start in. But engineering has a similar joint program with Blinn called TEAB.
casey3z
Thank you for bringing this up. It appears they (Texas Tech) are no longer on probation since 2015.
histag10
AG
casey3z said:

Thank you for bringing this up. It appears they (Texas Tech) are no longer on probation since 2015.

Even if they are no longer on probation, their academics simply arent on par with TAMU and UT, and their alumni network is nowhere near as strong for post graduation networking.
WhoHe
AG
casey3z said:

In my opinion, it's a perception thing as much as anything, based on what I hear around the high school from the kids. When they don't get in TAMU or tu, then Tech, etc., feel like they are admitting failure - but going to OU or Bama or Arkansas, etc., while they are no better schools than Tech, for example, don't have the same feeling of "settling" ...

Just my opinion
BoDog
AG
Its really a shame that for whatever reason there has not been a 3rd institution rise up to a tier one status. UTD's average test scores rival/exceed A&Ms, yet outside of DFW it is an afterthought.

I have come around to the belief that outside the Ivys and national top 10/20s (the Stanfords, Vanderbilts, Rice, etc) its pretty much a wash as long as the major in something relevant and in high demand. That is purely conjecture on my part but the more I dive in I have my sincere doubts.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Details on Blinn TEAM can be seen at https://tap.tamu.edu/Programs/TEAM

After reviewing the link, you can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950 if you have additional questions about Blinn TEAM.
aggal98
AG
Thanks everyone. We are hoping to get a TEAM offer and will gladly accept it. We are just wondering the timeline. Most of her classmates that were offered TEAM have already heard. I'm still hopeful but we will need to make other plans soon if we don't hear from A&M regarding their decision or waitlist offer.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Your daughter's major is Psychology which I think she would be able to transfer into more easily since it's not business or engineering. With no TEAM she could still go to CS and attend Blinn full time and meet the transfer requirements. My son had several friends do this and now they are full time TAMU students and they didn't have to go to Blinn for two full years. Really just depends if she wants to be an Aggie or not.
tcfitz3
AG
GALVESTON - Admission application deadline is TOMORROW, May 1st. Galveston is part of main campus - they get sports passes, Aggie rings, and can transfer to CS with a 2.75 on 30 hours. Take basic courses, ace out and transfer. They draw 50 yard line tickets for football. Great school and fun location and less expensive. It's a better shot than Blinn.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.