Texas A&M investigating "large scale" cheating case

2,129 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Prexys Moon
Bison
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas A&M investigating "large scale" cheating case as universities see more academic misconduct in era of online classes

Quote:

Universities across Texas and nationwide are seeing an increase in online cheating since the start of the pandemic, as students take more virtual courses and test remotely with less supervision.

An already unusual fall semester was wrapping up when Texas A&M University officials sent out an email in early December to the hundreds of students in an online finance class that set off a panic.

Faculty reported concerns of cheating "on a very large scale" to the Aggie Honor System Office, after they noticed some students in the class answered online test questions too quickly. Later, faculty discovered entire exams posted on a "homework help" website that has become synonymous with cheating.

University officials told guilty students to self-report by 5 p.m. on Dec. 8. If they didn't come forward but were found in violation of the academic honor code, they could face suspension or expulsion.

This depresses me, both as an Ag and as a college-level instructor. Rationalize away, but it doesn't change the bottom line: the value of our degrees goes down when this happens.

Hayek. Reagan. Bison.
AggieJason
AG
You mean students, when not monitored in person, are going to cheat? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

Aggies are no better or worse than other groups. There's always going to be a few who look for the easy way out. It's just more front-and-center now that They're staring at a screen at home.
Prexys Moon
AG
Texas A&M needs to STFU and worry about their own problems. They need to stop this online bull**** and get students in the classroom and return to normalcy this spring. COVID is NOT a big risk for college kids.

. Alot of kids struggled this fall with the idiotic online crap. My son was a fish and did great in his two hard classes that met face to face. His two "online" ones, that involved group projects and in person labs, he did not do well in. Why? Because everything was done on zoom. Group presentations on zoom. His group literally never met in person to put together a group presentation. Are you ****ting me?

There are tons of horror stories on Aggie parent facebook pages regarding the clown show that the "online" and "hybrid" educational experience was this fall. All at full cost, of course.

Not to mention the students who were quarantined for "exposure", two weeks at a pop, who despite multiple negative tests, were sent home...all the while still being charged for the dorm and meal plans. Ask me how I know.

Young and Fierke put this idiotic online plan into place and charged full rate for a substandard educational experience. The real "cheating" done by the university this fall is the ridiculous online and restrictions on gatherings and normal campus life. Young and Fierke stole a true college experience from 60,000 students who can never get this semester back. From one out of ten seats open in the flag room, to no yell practice, to virtual silver taps, to "online" Chemistry and other labs...THEY are the true cheaters and thieves of a college experience from the students.

I don't fault students for doing whatever they had to do to survive this ****show. It's no wonder Young and Fierke are both leaving.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.