Reqs RE Learning Disabilities Techniques...

1,476 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 88planoAg
chjoak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
May be a bit of a longshot but here goes...

My son (7 at the end of the month) has been through a great deal the last 3 or so years (seizures, brain surgeries, etc...). If you met him you would never know. He is bright, witty and an all around good kid but he is having a great deal of trouble with his letters, words and numbers. Art, Science, Music, etc... are all good but struggles mightily with letters & numbers. We had him tested for dyslexia & ADHD with the pedi and they are saying that he is fine there but this is likely his brain recovering from the trauma of the last 2-3 years. She suggested looking at some alternative curriculum to help. So that is why I am posting. Looking for some ideas/recommendations. Would really like to hear about something that you have first or second hand knowledge.

Feel free to PM or email (in my profile) if you prefer.
mccjames
AG
I don't have anything specific to help.

However I loved observing my child's classmates development through the years. She went to an advanced school K-8.

She had a border autistic classmate who ended up jumping 4 class grades, graduating enrolling in Stanford and graduating early with physics degree!

Several kids who where "behind" I K-3 ended up top of the class in HS.

My experience is that everyone in the same environment will move forward and back but all come fairly close together in the end.

Do not fret too much, make learning fun and encourage learning, even if that means nothing but dinosaurs or bugs or cars. It is the enjoyment of learning that will carry through the years.

Enjoy the ride, mine turns 21 this year and it seems like yesterday she was playing with foam letters in the bathtub!
SwissAgg
AG
chjoak said:

May be a bit of a longshot but here goes...

My son (7 at the end of the month) has been through a great deal the last 3 or so years (seizures, brain surgeries, etc...). If you met him you would never know. He is bright, witty and an all around good kid but he is having a great deal of trouble with his letters, words and numbers. Art, Science, Music, etc... are all good but struggles mightily with letters & numbers. We had him tested for dyslexia & ADHD with the pedi and they are saying that he is fine there but this is likely his brain recovering from the trauma of the last 2-3 years. She suggested looking at some alternative curriculum to help. So that is why I am posting. Looking for some ideas/recommendations. Would really like to hear about something that you have first or second hand knowledge.

Feel free to PM or email (in my profile) if you prefer.
I don't know where you are located, but my mom was a special ed teacher. Most of the kids in her class

were dyslexic. Maybe, there is a local teacher to you that might know someone to recommend to your son.

There is a teachers organization called Alpha Delta Kappa that focuses on teaching excellence. Maybe they

have local referrals.
88planoAg
AG
Maybe try posting this on some of the other boards that get a bit more traffic. I know Aggies Only has parents who have dealt with various issues. And/or the Health and Fitness board.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.