Engineering outside of A&M

2,282 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Oogway
SwissAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello Everyone,
My nephew is thinking about going to A&M to study engineering.

The mother(my sister) doesn't want to send him to such a big school
like t.u. or A&M. The nephew has really good grades, but I am not
sure if he can get into Rice.

Don't throw stones at me, but does Texas Tech have a decent
engineering program?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Uh.......what does the nephew want to do ?
SwissAgg
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Like many kids these days, he wants to study robotics. Robotics can mean a lot of things.

brains of the computer
mechanical movements
computer vision
etc.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
SwissAgg said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

Like many kids these days, he wants to study robotics. Robotics can mean a lot of things.

brains of the computer
mechanical movements
computer vision
etc.

I meant where does he want to go ? A&M ? Another big school ? I wouldn't limit my kid from a good Engineering school because I thought it is too big. Ask the kid.
SwissAgg
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

SwissAgg said:

AgOutsideAustin said:

brains of the computer
mechanical movements
computer vision
etc.

I meant where does he want to go ? A&M ? Another big school ? I wouldn't limit my kid from a good Engineering school because I thought it is too big. Ask the kid.
Sorry, I misunderstood. Like most kids, he doesn't really know, but I want to take him on a tour at A&M.
one MEEN Ag
AG
The big schools get small pretty fast. They aren't going to get a lot of 15 on 1 classes in engineering, but they weren't getting those at other good engineering schools either unless were talking MIT.

I would recommend staying on campus in a study oriented dorm his first year. Being on campus as a freshman helps a lot with making friends and making a school feel smaller.

Texas Tech isn't going to offer anything drastically different school size wise compared to A&M. But the education/peer quality is definitely a drop off.

Auburn is a good out of state school that is smaller, and has a respected engineering program. If he's thinking Rice, why not shoot for Georgia Tech as well.

SwissAgg
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

The big schools get small pretty fast. They aren't going to get a lot of 15 on 1 classes in engineering, but they weren't getting those at other good engineering schools either unless were talking MIT.

I would recommend staying on campus in a study oriented dorm his first year. Being on campus as a freshman helps a lot with making friends and making a school feel smaller.

Texas Tech isn't going to offer anything drastically different school size wise compared to A&M. But the education/peer quality is definitely a drop off.

Auburn is a good out of state school that is smaller, and has a respected engineering program. If he's thinking Rice, why not shoot for Georgia Tech as well.

Auburn is one choice I was thinking of. Rice is a good possibility but hard to get in there.

Georgia Tech is a possibility, but Atlanta is not the greatest city. It is not my decision though.
The Goo
AG
We visited Auburn several years ago with our son. Smaller version of A&M and top 50ish engineering program. A&Ms size will allow a wider option of choices than what tech can offer. Your nephew won't select his major at A&M until he gets half way onto his spring semester his freshman year. He will then have to apply though the ETAM process. As far as the reputation of the programs it's not even close. But he may get some $$$ from tech.
SwissAgg
AG
The Goo said:

We visited Auburn several years ago with our son. Smaller version of A&M and top 50ish engineering program. A&Ms size will allow a wider option of choices than what tech can offer. Your nephew won't select his major at A&M until he gets half way onto his spring semester his freshman year. He will then have to apply though the ETAM process. As far as the reputation of the programs it's not even close. But he may get some $$$ from tech.
I like Auburn quite a bit personally. A&M is ranked higher than Auburn, but personally

I didn't like over 300 people in my Chemistry classes.
Oogway
one MEEN Ag said:

I agree with your perspective and it has mirrored our experience. Our oldest has graduated, but our next oldest is currently in Engineering and doing well. Both of them were on campus their first year, and that helped get them in touch with like-minded groups and resources.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.