Gateway vs Blinn team

10,481 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Spider69
Goody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

My daughter got accepted via the gateway program---I think its great but she preferred blinn team

is gateway considered the last resort---or is blinn team. i.e. could she try and "transfer" to the blinn team route? Is that possible?
histag10
AG
TAMUAdmissions can confirm or correct this, but I believe gateway is the "last resort" before PSA. Team students are fully admitted, while gateway students are not fully admitted until they complete the gateway program successfully over the summer.
AggieAdvisor16
AG
I think Histag is right. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how you get in. Take care of business and graduate, and nobody will care how you were admitted. One plus side of the Gateway Program, as I understand it, is that it would allow you to be a full time A&M student faster than the Blinn Team would. And they receive a lot of great support during that "prove it" summer.
histag10
AG
That they do! The university has also set aside some money for scholarships/grants for gateway students in the summer (or at least they did last year)

Are you by chance the PETE UG advisor?
sbs
AG
A few weeks ago my daughter had the option to select 'wait list', "Blinn-Team', or both. She selected Blinn Team and she just heard back that she was selected for Blinn Team. Like what was previously posted, I don't think it really matters how you got accepted to A&M, all that matter now is to make the grades and graduate.
Goody
AG
Totally agree that how you get in doesnt matter... The summer start complicates tbings a little but we will figure it out

Thanks for the replies
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Sometimes it is the opposite. Sometimes applicants get Blinn TEAM but preferred Gateway. That is true of the other options as well. Those who do not receive any offer would have loved to receive some type of offer.

The offer made is what A&M is able to offer. You cannot "transfer" from Gateway to Blinn TEAM, for example.
If you take care of business during the summer, you transition over. With Blinn TEAM, that is a two year program.

Blinn TEAM students still have to meet certain requirements just like students do who receive one of the other options.

http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted has further links called Other Pathways and Alternative Admission Decisions that contain detailed information about all the different offers now available.

You can also call an Admissions counselor at 979-458-0950 to discuss your particular situation or for further information.

What has been said is so true - take care of business and graduate. That is the bottom line.

AggieAdvisor16
AG
Yes, I am! You're in SFAID, right?
Comeby!
AG
Which one allows for membership in the corps?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Being admitted to A&M makes you eligible for the Corps (Blinn TEAM for example). Gateway is a summer program. If you fulfill the requirements during Gateway, you can continue as a student in the fall and participate in university activities.
histag10
AG
AggieAdvisor16 said:

Yes, I am! You're in SFAID, right?

I was! I actually left at the beginning of January after my maternity leave. I came back to train someone on my position, and decided to be a SAHM. Loving it so far. But I do miss my work.

So now it's not me on the other end of all those emails every semester
Kmh02
Just curious- have all blinn team offers been sent out yet, and how many spots are normally offered? Thanks!
TAMUAdmissions
AG
A&M is about 95% through with freshmen admission decisions. Continue to check AIS from time to time.
bduffyroberts
Howdy,
My son was given the option to be on the waitlist and/or be reviewed for TEAM. He picked to be added to the waitlist and to be considered for TEAM. How does that work? Do they hold off on reviewing him for TEAM until they know for certain that he would not be given full admission? And, if so, in between that time, would TEAM become full? Thank you in advance for your time and information.
Comeby!
AG
Another question: After a decision has been made (Assuming a HS junior applies in July), can later SAT/ACT scores sent cause admissions to move up or otherwise give a more favorable decision/reconsideration later? We are trying to determine if test scores in the senior year help us. I'm not talking about an appeal. Just would like to know if the college board sending new scores triggers a review.
sbs
AG
You can retake the SAT/ACT your senior year and submit higher scores up until the admissions deadline which is in December of your senior year.
bduffyroberts
Good morning and thanks for all this valuable information.

My son is currently on the waitlist and being reviewed for Blinn TEAM. I'm wondering if full admits are no longer available at this date and I am wondering if Blinn TEAM is also full? Will his AIS change if Blinn TEAM is no longer accepting applicants? Is there a way to know his place on the waitlist, or are applicants pulled randomly as openings become available?

Thank you for your time and care. It has been a confusing process,
bduffyroberts
It would be helpful if we knew the criteria for gateway, TEAM, and PSA. Is there a way to share the admission process?
bduffyroberts
I think she will do great, what is her major?
Spider69
AG
My granddaughter was admitted to TAMU via PSA & RELLIS. I have 2 granddaughters ('20) that already graduated and one more granddaughter will graduate in May, Another granddaughter with much higher ACT scores has been accepted and is being recruited academically. All 3 of my kids are Aggies ('92, '94, & '01). Both my wife ('74) and I ('69) are Aggie grads. I do have my PhD from TAMU & taught there in 1976-79. Is there a person my daughter might call in Admissions about her daughter? I know a little about Blinn Team but almost nothing about PSA or RELLIS.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Regarding the criteria, A&M evaluates class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores and everything else submitted with the application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc.

As a result, it is not random. A&M is very close to finishing but is not quite there yet. AIS always has the most current info for any particular applicant.

Increasing the number of options an applicant will consider allows for more opportunities for A&M to find a slot for them. A&M is trying to find as many ways as possible for qualified applicants to be an Aggie. Decisions are made after an extensive review of applicant provided information.

Details about PSA can be seen at http://admissions.tamu.edu/PSA Details about RELLIS can be seen at https://rellis.tamus.edu/

You can always call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950.
bduffyroberts
Thank you for your time!
Comeby!
AG
Thank you for doing all you can to assist students find a way to be an Aggie.

A few comments: I wish admissions took into consideration high school 'rank' in addition to class rank. Top 10% in my hometown of Laredo is not anywhere near the same as top 10% of some suburban Dallas/Houston high schools. I'm am hopeful that this is considered in a holistic review.

This would push for high school administrators and board members to work on improving their rank. Ultimately this shows itself in graduation rates and GPA's from A&M from different high schools. You couple this data with average SAT/ACT scores from these high schools and you have some very interesting stats.
Spider69
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

Regarding the criteria, A&M evaluates class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores and everything else submitted with the application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc.

Details about PSA can be seen at http://admissions.tamu.edu/PSA Details about RELLIS can be seen at https://rellis.tamus.edu/

You can always call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950.

THANK YOU for your reply!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.