Out of State tuition waiver

4,841 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by spongeboob_squaresharts
mandevilleag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My daughter, a high school junior, just got her ACT scores over Christmas break. She scored a 34 composite. When we toured A&M last spring they discussed OOS tuition waivers, but my memory is a little foggy. There was a requirement for scholarship monies, but I can't remember if there was also a waiver at certain levels of the ACT or SAT scores. I did a quick search on the university website but couldn't find the answer (hopefully not because there is no score waiver....)
mandevilleag
Nevermind. After reading through the Handbook I see OOS tuition is only waived if the student receives at least $4000 dollars in competitive scholarships.
histag10
AG
mandevilleag said:

Nevermind. After reading through the Handbook I see OOS tuition is only waived if the student receives at least $4000 dollars in competitive scholarships.

Correct. The scholarships must also be awarded by TAMU. Keep in mind, not all scholarships at TAMU qualify for a non-resident tuition waiver.

For the scholarship to be considered competitive, it must be awarded by TAMU, and must be open to TX residents and non residents without a preference for one over the other.
JHUAggie
Back in my Old Army days a $1,000 competitive scholarship meant out of state tuition was waived. I begged the financial aid office, and fortunately they found something for me and that is why I am an Aggie.

GOOD LUCK!
histag10
AG
JHUAggie said:

Back in my Old Army days a $1,000 competitive scholarship meant out of state tuition was waived. I begged the financial aid office, and fortunately they found something for me and that is why I am an Aggie.

GOOD LUCK!

Then someone broke rules and regulations set up by the university. If someone is given a scholarship without competition, the entire scholarship loses its waiver eligibility, meaning several students could lose a waiver because someone decides to give a student a scholarship.
powerbelly
AG
histag10 said:

JHUAggie said:

GOOD LUCK!

Then someone broke rules and regulations set up by the university. If someone is given a scholarship without competition, the entire scholarship loses its waiver eligibility, meaning several students could lose a waiver because someone decides to give a student a scholarship.
You are reading his statement too literally.
spongeboob_squaresharts
AG
I'm a graduate of c/o 2016 and when I was there, I signed an "Intent to Establish Residency" form to get in state tuition as an out of state student.

Not sure if this is still available, but the fine lines said that upon graduation I would stay in Texas and work in the state (my guess is to retain college educated people in the state).

I guess it wasn't legally binding as 4 years later, I've never worked or lived in Texas since graduating and never had A&M banging down my door for a recoup. Maybe something to look into.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.