HS JR question regarding SAT and ACT

2,742 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggiemike96
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most schools do not require the writing section. My daughter took the SAT in Oct with the writing and is scheduled to take the ACT in Dec. She is signed up for the writing section, but I can change that if we decide it's not necessary. She's complaining about it, but I told her to suck it up under the assumption it was required. Now that I see it's only suggested, I'm torn on making her stick it out or just let her focus on the regular test....thoughts?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
For A&M, the optional essay/writing portion is not required. A&M will be looking at the essay she writes for her application.

She would need to check with other specific schools she might be interested in to see if they require it.
Aggie95
AG
thank you. None of the schools she is interested in require the writing section, they only "recommend" it, same as A&M.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
A&M really doesn't "recommend" it. We use the essay A associated with the application.
double b
AG
There are about 30 schools nationally that take it, so the requirement has been mostly eliminated. If you're looking at the UC school system, then I would encourage your student to take it with each test.
Aggiemike96
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

For A&M, the optional essay/writing portion is not required. A&M will be looking at the essay she writes for her application.

Can you provide a link confirming? My oldest's mother believes the SAT or ACT essay is required.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/apply

Then look under Required Documents and #4 (Official SAT or ACT Scores).

Optional essay/writing portion is not required.
Aggiemike96
AG
Perfect! Thank you!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.