Hazlewood Act and an Uncooperative Father

2,402 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by alamogeorge
JaBlanc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello, I'm seeking to attend Texas A&M University in the fall semester of 2020 and I am attempting to get everything together for paying for it. My father is in the Navy, but since his divorce from my mother he has been rather uninvolved in my education and has only recently shown interest in interacting with me substantially. I have been requesting permission to use his Hazlewood Act hours to help with my college learning, but he has been putting it off for months, constantly saying he will look into it despite the fact that I gave him printed copies of all the information TAMU has on Hazlewood Act the last time he requested visitation, this summer. To my knowledge, he has not used any of the Hazlewood hours. He has two other children with his new wife, but they are not Texas residents and they are all currently living in another state, with orders to move to Michigan soon.

How should I pursue the Hazlewood hours? Are there any resources at A&M, aside from the scholarships page for the Corps, that I should look into for more information on the Hazlewood hours that I could show to my father? Is there anything that the scholarship or veterans' affairs offices at A&M can do to influence him to either provide the hours or at least be honest with me and deny them to me?

I was advised to post on this board after posting the same in General. Sorry for the double post.

Thank you all for any help,
Jacob Blanchard
sbs
AG
You mention that your father is in the Navy. If he is still in the Navy than he can't transfer his benefits to you. He can only transfer them after he retires from the Navy and has a DD214.
Schrute Farms
My advice is to not pursue any actions to gain the Hazlewood hours. Outside of him leaving the service and signing them over to you, you have no claim.
cavscout96
AG
These two posts pretty much sum it up.

1. He can't give them to you if he is still on AD
2. They are his, not yours. He can do with them as he pleases.
JaBlanc
I almost forgot about this second thread I made.

I already laid out my general observations in the General board (original) version of this thread, but for those only just seeing this one:

I'm not pursuing the Hazlewood Act stuff further. Also, I'm reevaluating how I interact with my father. I hope I don't leave a bad first impression of myself for A&M.
alamogeorge
AG
There's always the option to enlist and get your own GI Bill and Hazelwood. I know when you're young 4 years seems like an eternity but it's not and the DD-214 is similar to the Aggie Ring in the doors that it can open. Joining the Air Force beats paying back student loans for years.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.