Private School -> TAMU

4,608 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bird Poo
LostInLA07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Searched the boards for a bit but didn't find this topic. How does attending a private high school impact chances of being admitted to A&M, particularly with the removal of the academic admit criteria? Are private high school kids at a significant disadvantage? We are looking at private school for our kids and I was surprised by the admission rates for their grads to top tier private and out of state schools relative to A&M and tu. Is that due to the top 10% rule?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
A&M evaluates class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores and everything else submitted with the application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc.

Details on how A&M admits domestic freshmen can be seen at http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

Note there that it is not until applicants for Fall 2021 that academic admission will no longer be available.

https://web-as.tamu.edu/ecardimages/2018/EAST/freshmen-bythe-numbers.pdf shows some of the numbers. 51% of the class was admitted under the top 10 law.

mccjames
AG
As a parent that went through this last year with a non ranking private school it was a Major issue.

Multiple at least 15 kids in a class of 100 got team or cap at tu. All of these kids got in to every out of state and private school applied, my favorite was the one that got into Princeton but was cap at tu! The numbers are so big for tu and A&M that the system screwed non ranking private schools.

My own daughter was national merit commended, 1460 on SAT, she was top 25 in class (school does not release ranking but I got it from an admin), and got Team at A&M. She was given presidents scholarship at Auburn which covered 85% of tuition, and a smaller 10k a year at Clemson. Texas Tech admit was for their honors program.

People are negative about the removal of the top 25 admit but I think it is the best thing they can do. Way to many students getting passed over by the large state schools are going out of state. The holistic reviews look at everything not just GPA, SAT but greater emphasis on the quality of student such as President of FFA, 4H, 3 sport letterman, etc.....

IMHO we are letting in a lot of students who played the game with AP classes and artificial grade inflation. Not necessarily the students who are leaders and who are involved with their schools.

I can tell you that we met a lot of freshman who took 7 or more AP classes but only passed 2 or 3 of the tests while making an A in the class. Many did not even take the test. This is just rewarding by playing the system, not the best candidate.

So end result is She is a fish at A&M and her private school has prepared her very well, first round of tests and she made all A's and has become the goto person for math help in her Calc class. Team has been good because it gives her more flexibility as tries to figure out exactly what she wants to do with her life and the class size is small. All in all the transition from small private school to large University has been pretty smooth.
Green2Maroon
AG
I attended a private high school in Bryan, then served in the Army, then Blinn as a business major, then applied to A&M and got accepted to the agribusiness program.

I was just a good student, not exceptional. I had maybe a 3.5-3.7 in high school and made an 1130 on the SAT (this was 2002 and I understand the test and scores are different now).

It goes without saying that A&M is a very pro-military college so my Army service probably helped, but I was also accepted right out of high school. It doesn't really matter which high school you attend if you have good grades IMO.
HECUBUS
AG
The tu cap SNAFU last year was they allegedly scored the essays backwards. Everyone that protested got accepted. The funny part is that they put so much weight on they essays, they got a ton of unqualified kids accepted. tu has not openly admitted this mistake as far as I know. I do know a ton of unqualified kids that got in, a ton of highly qualified kids that got capped, and one that protested. This "information" came from the one that protested and the person that helped with the protest. Hearsay, but believable, something did go seriously wrong at sip admissions last year.
Bird Poo
AG
HECUBUS said:

The tu cap SNAFU last year was they allegedly scored the essays backwards. Everyone that protested got accepted. The funny part is that they put so much weight on they essays, they got a ton of unqualified kids accepted. tu has not openly admitted this mistake as far as I know. I do know a ton of unqualified kids that got in, a ton of highly qualified kids that got capped, and one that protested. This "information" came from the one that protested and the person that helped with the protest. Hearsay, but believable, something did go seriously wrong at sip admissions last year.

A tu lawyer at my company can vouch for this. His son went to private school and scored an 1100 on the SAT, bottom half of his class, and received full admittance to tu but was rejected by A&M.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.