SRAR?

4,544 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 2wealfth Man
Jack Cheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know what the new SRAR (self-reported academic record) required on the A&M application is about? The student has to submit an official transcript anyway, what is the point of re-typing it all on the application? (The instructions say to have the transcript in hand when you do it so that it *exactly* matches.)

I may have just answered my own question. Admissions folks don't want to weed through all the various transcript formats that vary by school district - they want a standard format to find the data points they are looking for.

Bravo - way to offload data entry tasks onto the applicants! Wonder if this will mean decisions get made and announced faster (lol).
histag10
AG
Is this a legit question, or are you just complaining?
Jack Cheese
AG
They can confirm or deny. Do you know?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/apply has info on what SRAR is about (under Required Documents).
FAQs involving SRAR can be seen at http://admissions.tamu.edu/srar

We make decisions throughout the year. All decisions for spring will be posted by December and fall by late March at HOWDY via the Applicant tab.

Applicants who apply to the College of Engineering and have a complete admission file by the Early Action Deadline of October 15, will receive a communication regarding their admission decision by mid-December. The communication will notify the student of admission or deferral to the January-February decision timeline.
Jack Cheese
AG
Wow, the one question not addressed at all in the FAQ is the one I asked... WHY does A&M require the SRAR. Go figure.
2wealfth Man
AG
What is to keep someone from "misrepresenting" their grades in the initial SRAR submission. I assumed it is fact checked at some point in the process, presumably before offers go out?

After the recent college admissions scandal; color me skeptical if not verified before making an offer.
Oogway
I don't believe A&M is the only school that does this, and while I don't work for them, I would hazard that there are several reasons.

One would be what you mentioned: the applicant takes on the data entry. Remember, if A&M is to be run lean and cost efficient, then there are fewer employees to perform tasks.

Second, it enables hs counselors (who get overwhelmed with requests) to wait until the final transcript is needed and if I understand it correctly, A&M may be using those mostly for top 10% admissions. Not all schools operate the same way w/respect to sending transcripts so perhaps this allows for uniformity?

Finally, the SRAR enables students to apply early and list the courses they have not yet taken, something a *transcript would not have?

Edit-clarity. A transcript submitted prior to senior year.
histag10
AG
2wealfth Man said:

What is to keep someone from "misrepresenting" their grades in the initial SRAR submission. I assumed it is fact checked at some point in the process, presumably before offers go out?

After the recent college admissions scandal; color me skeptical if not verified before making an offer.

Offer of admissions can be revoked if any misrepresentation occurs.
2wealfth Man
AG
histag10 said:

2wealfth Man said:

Yes, but they are not asking for final transcripts until August 15; which means you have already been admitted. Doesn't help if someone misrepresents and gets an admissions offer that could have gone to an "honest" applicant.
histag10
AG
2wealfth Man said:

histag10 said:

2wealfth Man said:

Yes, but they are not asking for final transcripts until August 15; which means you have already been admitted. Doesn't help if someone misrepresents and gets an admissions offer that could have gone to an "honest" applicant.

Maybe so, but it also means the dishonest student doesnt really have an option to attend somewhere else. We also admit a certain number knowing a certain amount wont attend. We dont go back and offer admissions again after people dont show up in August. It's all an imperfect equation to guesstimate how many to admit to get to the number wanted.

And as a side note, presently you can go through your first semester without your final transcript. This will just mean we get them in a more timely fashion.
Jack Cheese
AG
Oogway said:

Remember, if A&M is to be run lean and cost efficient, then there are fewer employees to perform tasks.

/dead
Oogway
You disagree? The last time I checked, the highest percentage of cuts were in two categories: Skilled craft and Clerical. I was focusing on the clerical, due to your initial post. While student workers can fill some of those gaps, there are still fewer employees considering the rate at which the student body and the number of applications has increased. The cost savings for not having to pay salary and benefits may mean that applicants take on that role.

Some of the inefficiencies (nationwide) in Higher Ed appear to come from unfunded federal and state mandates but that is just a personal observation from the outside looking in. I'm sure the reality is more complex.

If your student applied, good luck to him or her!
agmom95
AG
I've heard lots of stories of counselors dropping the ball on sending transcripts or Parchment (the transcript software) not sending transcripts properly. I think someone on here mentioned their kid not getting in due to a transcript snafu. This puts it on the student to do everything
The Dog Lord
AG
It actually is for the reasons you mentioned (standard formats of incomplete transcripts so that decisions can be made earlier/faster).
2wealfth Man
AG
Well, happy to report no issues with SRAR. Son got admitted yesterday. Still has to go through engineering review however.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.