It's official...after this year, no more academic admit

12,988 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bird Poo
Prexys Moon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow. One more admission class gets academic admit (top 25% and 1360) and then after that it's just top 10 percent and review.

https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

Bird Poo
AG
This will severely hurt our school--and is 100% a "diversity" decision.

Aggies need to start raising hell NOW.
AggieDave02
Oogway
Do you have proof that it is 100% a "diversity decision"?
I'm not trolling, but I was considering that perhaps the increase in numbers of Top 10% qualifiers who are actually enrolling upon acceptance was beginning to affect the freshman classes. Remember that A&M has stats for applied, admitted and enrolled, and typically they project a certain # of those that are accepted to actually show up on campus and enroll. The growth in Texas not just in population, but in numbers of high schools (think charter schools) begins to affect that as well. Each time there is a new high school opening, that increases the pool unless I am doing the math wrong.

In other words, what you are saying may be partially true, but I am not convinced it is the only reason for the change in admittance qualifications.
Jack Cheese
AG
Oogway said:

I'm not trolling, but I was considering that perhaps the increase in numbers of Top 10% qualifiers who are actually enrolling upon acceptance was beginning to affect the freshman classes. Remember that A&M has stats for applied, admitted and enrolled, and typically they project a certain # of those that are accepted to actually show up on campus and enroll. The growth in Texas not just in population, but in numbers of high schools (think charter schools) begins to affect that as well. Each time there is a new high school opening, that increases the pool unless I am doing the math wrong.

In other words, what you are saying may be partially true, but I am not convinced it is the only reason for the change in admittance qualifications.

UT dealt with this issue by changing from Top 10% to Top 8% (maybe 7 now). I don't know if they've dropped the academic admit altogether like A&M though. Regardless of motivation, this makes the decision process for the non-10% more subjective, not more objective.

The top 10% rule is already arbitrary due not only to differences in academic rigor and competitiveness between high schools, but also due to wide variation in how GPA and class rank are computed across the state's districts. Thats why making the process more subjective for the rest of the applicants is irksome.
Oogway
Back when there was a discussion (it might have been in the Politics forum) regarding the Top 10% rule, I was and still am in favor of it. I know some folks are not. While I agree with you that GPA and class rank should be computed using a uniform metric, there were folks that were arguing about schools graduating students who were not capable of matriculating at A&M* and therefore the Top 10% rule should be abolished. I have a problem with that.

A&M already draws a significant amount of its student body from urban areas and urban high schools, which does reflect the changing nature of the state itself. Students from small rural ISDs where the curriculum is solid but lacks access to the breadth and depth that a 6A high school can offer should not be denied the same opportunity to attend as a student from St. Marks or Highland Park. Otherwise, all of the tradition that A&M was built upon would be meaningless. However, with the Top 10% rule, there are students from all over the state and almost every county who apply, are accepted, and enroll at A&M. The mission of A&M as a state school is to give the taxpayers of the state higher educational opportunities to students who have ties to the communities from which they come and to which they will return, perhaps not always to live permanently, but to further the investment which the taxpayers have made in their education.

If you graduated from this university or any other state school in the US, then you have been a beneficiary of that investment as well (as was I). Granted, the student is asked to shoulder a lot more of that expense than in the past, so in some ways students from earlier years were subsidized at a higher rate by the taxpayers than as individuals.

As far as the process being more subjective, that will be true, but it may allow for some of the outstanding applicants who we have read about in other threads (who attended schools that didn't really rank, etc) to shine and be admitted.

*As far as students attending that should not be admitted, a lot of the examples people were listing were anecdotal. To really know, one would have to delve into the data. A&M, like many universities, has worked diligently toward increasing student retention. This is important most especially if a student comes from a school where the exposure to college level classes may have been minimal. Living Learning Communities, groups for first generation students, help desks, and mentors are some of the resources that universities have that simply did not exist when I attended college many many years ago. These aids cost time and money but so does a college education, and I believe that the University, former students and current students working together can continue the trajectory of A&M as an institution of excellence.

Bird Poo
AG
Oogway said:

Back when there was a discussion (it might have been in the Politics forum) regarding the Top 10% rule, I was and still am in favor of it. I know some folks are not. While I agree with you that GPA and class rank should be computed using a uniform metric, there were folks that were arguing about schools graduating students who were not capable of matriculating at A&M* and therefore the Top 10% rule should be abolished. I have a problem with that.

A&M already draws a significant amount of its student body from urban areas and urban high schools, which does reflect the changing nature of the state itself. Students from small rural ISDs where the curriculum is solid but lacks access to the breadth and depth that a 6A high school can offer should not be denied the same opportunity to attend as a student from St. Marks or Highland Park. Otherwise, all of the tradition that A&M was built upon would be meaningless. However, with the Top 10% rule, there are students from all over the state and almost every county who apply, are accepted, and enroll at A&M. The mission of A&M as a state school is to give the taxpayers of the state higher educational opportunities to students who have ties to the communities from which they come and to which they will return, perhaps not always to live permanently, but to further the investment which the taxpayers have made in their education.

If you graduated from this university or any other state school in the US, then you have been a beneficiary of that investment as well (as was I). Granted, the student is asked to shoulder a lot more of that expense than in the past, so in some ways students from earlier years were subsidized at a higher rate by the taxpayers than as individuals.

As far as the process being more subjective, that will be true, but it may allow for some of the outstanding applicants who we have read about in other threads (who attended schools that didn't really rank, etc) to shine and be admitted.

*As far as students attending that should not be admitted, a lot of the examples people were listing were anecdotal. To really know, one would have to delve into the data. A&M, like many universities, has worked diligently toward increasing student retention. This is important most especially if a student comes from a school where the exposure to college level classes may have been minimal. Living Learning Communities, groups for first generation students, help desks, and mentors are some of the resources that universities have that simply did not exist when I attended college many many years ago. These aids cost time and money but so does a college education, and I believe that the University, former students and current students working together can continue the trajectory of A&M as an institution of excellence.

In short, A&M brass is afraid of losing its identity (and funding) associated with agriculture. We need more country folk. That is a diversity decision.

Oogway
It is written into the legislative code for the state of Texas. Just like the law that IIRC no more than 10% of admitted applicants (first time in college, freshman) can be from out of state. After the auto admits are taken care of, there are certain indicators that admissions has to take into consideration. Perhaps one of the Admissions personnel who post here could elaborate, but this is verbatim taken from the Education Code for the State of Texas:
Quote:

"It is the intent of the legislature that all institutions of higher education pursue academic excellence by considering students' academic achievements in decisions related to admissions. Because of changing demographic trends, diversity, and population increases in the state, each general academic teaching institution shall also consider all of, any of, or a combination of the following socioeconomic indicators or factors in making first-time freshman admissions decisions:

Among other indicators, numbers 8 and 9 are thus:
Quote:

(8) the applicant's region of residence;

(9) whether the applicant is a resident of a rural or urban area or a resident of a central city or suburban area in the state;

There are a lot more indicators, including first generation students-something the state of Texas has been working hard towards achieving because once they have subsidized a family into multi-generational college degree holders, then they like to reach out to families that aren't there yet. (that is my best guess, I don't know that for sure)

So, it is not for me to tell University Administrators to thumb their noses at the Texas Legislature. That can have consequences. If adhering to the Top 10% rule assists the A&M main campus in fulfilling some of those indicators, then perhaps there is more room for them to place less emphasis on those indicators during holistic review. Academic achievement was the top indicator so it is not like they place it at the bottom of the list.

The folks in Austin are our elected representatives that write the bills that may then become law. The Universities in the State report to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board whose mission states:
Quote:

The mission of the THECB is to provide leadership and coordination for Texas higher education and to promote access, affordability, quality, success, and cost efficiency through *60x30TX, resulting in a globally competitive workforce that positions Texas as an international leader.
The Board members are appointed by the Governor.

*60x30TX was created in 2015 and is described thusly:
Quote:

60x30TX is entirely student-centered: its overarching goal is that 60 percent of young adults (25-34) in Texas will hold some type of postsecondary credential by 2030.

It also proposes that at least 550,000 students in that year will complete a certificate, associate, bachelor's, or master's from a Texas institution of higher education; graduates will have identifiable marketable skills regardless of major; and students (statewide) will not graduate with debt exceeding 60 percent of their first-year wages.

So, in essence, after researching this a little this morning, you are correct in that it is a 'diversity' decision because it is built into the Education Code for the State of Texas and the University is following the law. As far as losing its identity with agriculture, it is a Land Grant institution (University of Texas is not) and does have some imperative to continue with this mission. (and yes, that includes funding for research and outreach to producers/farmers via the Hatch Act)

Esteban du Plantier
AG
Exceptional SAT/ACT scores are a better predictor of long term success than class rank.

My high school was very competitive, but I had a very high ACT score. Not sure I would have gotten into TAMU based on class rank alone.
Jack Cheese
AG
Oogway said:

And just as likely (actually much MORE likely now than before) that a well qualified student with an excellent SAT / ACT and reasonably high class rank in a competitive school will be left out.

Let's just say that someone I know quite well has a 1360 SAT, 31 ACT and is 12% in her class of 900+ students. She has literally never made a B, has taken AP classes in every subject except math (where she is K-level, so same GPA impact as AP), and her rank is below 10% solely because she is choosing 4 years of theater and 4 years of orchestra (3 of those in chamber level). Some districts don't penalize students for fine arts, ours does.

She's on the outside looking in. Do you think we feel better knowing that the admissions department may or may not like her subjective qualities more than her objective scores?

Honestly, I'm over it. She's our youngest. Her older brother went through the admissions mill with solid qualifications and ended up elsewhere after being offered PSA. I'm glad he did. I don't care one bit if she goes to A&M, and that's coming from someone whose dad, brother, and wife are all Aggies.
histag10
AG
So i have never been for the top 10% for the exact opposite reason people in here seem to be for it. I was from a small rural school. 1 person was in our top 10%. One. Person. It was an extremely competitive school (still is), and i was not that one student. I was, however, auto admitted based on test scores, and watched many a top 10% classmates from large high schools fail out freshman year.
lost my dog
Jack Cheese said:

Oogway said:

UT dealt with this issue by changing from Top 10% to Top 8% (maybe 7 now). I don't know if they've dropped the academic admit altogether like A&M though. Regardless of motivation, this makes the decision process for the non-10% more subjective, not more objective.

The top 10% rule is already arbitrary due not only to differences in academic rigor and competitiveness between high schools, but also due to wide variation in how GPA and class rank are computed across the state's districts. Thats why making the process more subjective for the rest of the applicants is irksome.
UT is now at top 6% now. And they get significantly more out-of-state applicants and admits than A&M. They went to top 6% because they would have trouble having room to fill specialized slots (athletes, fine arts, etc.) if they stayed at anything higher.
lost my dog
Esteban du Plantier said:

Exceptional SAT/ACT scores are a better predictor of long term success than class rank.

My high school was very competitive, but I had a very high ACT score. Not sure I would have gotten into TAMU based on class rank alone.
But exceptional SAT/ACT scores are not a very good predictor of college success at all (I don't know what you mean by long term.) Repeated studies have shown this.

lost my dog
The basic problem is that the growth of the two flagship universities have not kept pace with the growth of the population of this state. We have grown by about 50% (from 19 million to 28.5 million people) over the last 20 years, and the population is younger, so we have over 50% more smart high school graduates. Plus there is more emphasis on Texans getting higher education. So of course A&M can't keep up, and has to make it harder for people to get in.

The solution is IMO not to grow A&M from 60,000 to 100,000 (there are problems with moving to that scale), but for the state to create more flagships.But I'm not holding my breath.
Ranger1743
AG
lost my dog said:

Esteban du Plantier said:

But exceptional SAT/ACT scores are not a very good predictor of college success at all (I don't know what you mean by long term.) Repeated studies have shown this.

Not *quite* true. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED563073.pdf
double b
AG
So I work in the industry and follow college admission number very closely. Yesterday, I was interviewed by KBTX about my comments, which you can see here with link.

Texas A&M to change automatic acceptance process in 2021

Also, this is my perspective on the policy change which is listed on my Facebook page.

-------------------------------------------------
So what is not being discussed enough is "why" Texas A&M is having to do this. Over the past 4 - 5 years, the fraction of students who are admitted under Top 10% and Academic Admit have increased immensely. The number of applications received alone this year increased by 20-25%, which is astronomical in terms of college admissions.

Part of this is due to UT - Austin and them having the exemption to ONLY admit the Top 6%. So now you have a number of excellent applicants between the 7% - 10% class ranks who are not getting into UT - Austin and are now considering Texas A&M as an option. So between that and Texas A&M's auto admit category, majors such as Business, Engineering, and Architecture are filling up before it even reaches "review" admit students.

This is now creating an issue with their diversity efforts and leaving them with less ability to shape their incoming freshman classes.

So Texas A&M had two choices. One, either go the way of UT - Austin and ask to be exempt from the Top 10% rule, or eliminate the Academic Admit option.

Moving forward, parents will have to work with their child and making sure their "whole" application is on point, which includes

- GPA
- Academic Rigor
- Test Scores
- Extra-curriculars
- Leadership
- Service
- Summer Activities
- Personal Enrichment
- Employment
- Strong Essays

Texas A&M has upgraded the competition in all areas, and especially for those who are seeking to major in Engineering, Business, or Architecture.

Heisenberg01
AG
So why not go the way of tu and seek exemption from the Top 10% rule and reduce to a top 8% or 6%? The way A&M is admitting students the last few years has caused our academic ranking to fall in nearly any recognized publication. Thus, we are diminishing the value of our degree. Why not take the same route as tu and protect our academic reputation?
double b
AG
Because a lot of their diversity goals are achieved through Top 10%.
Furlock Bones
AG
histag10 said:

So i have never been for the top 10% for the exact opposite reason people in here seem to be for it. I was from a small rural school. 1 person was in our top 10%. One. Person. It was an extremely competitive school (still is), and i was not that one student. I was, however, auto admitted based on test scores, and watched many a top 10% classmates from large high schools fail out freshman year.
there are exceptions to every rule. but, by and large, this is not the case for small schools around the state.
DukeMu
A&M has rolling admissions and a 70% acceptance rate. If you want to get into A*M, Apply EARLY. Like NOW...Especially in engineering.
double b
AG
DukeMu said:

A&M has rolling admissions and a 70% acceptance rate. If you want to get into A*M, Apply EARLY. Like NOW...Especially in engineering.
There's is so much wrong in this statement. If you're a review admit candidate, earliest you will hear anything is in December before the winter break.

The problem TAMU is having is of the (3) impacted colleges (Engineering, Architecture, and Business), they are almost exclusively filled with Top 10% and Auto-admit students. Review candidates have a very small chance of getting into those majors.
NewOldAg
AG
The problem isn't that the top XX% rule is a completely terrible thing it's just that it's pretty obvious that 10% is too broad. It has been the case for a long time that the Business & Engineering schools fill up on those kids and a ton of them wash out to other less competitive majors or out of the university all together. Those kids are obviously mismatched to Texas A&M and we aren't doing them any favors by admitting them. There's nothing wrong with those kids going to UTD or UTA and getting a good education there. Texas seems to have figured out that you can still give everyone some opportunity by floating that number higher while also reducing the mismatch problem.
TriAg2010
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Oogway said:

And just as likely (actually much MORE likely now than before) that a well qualified student with an excellent SAT / ACT and reasonably high class rank in a competitive school will be left out.

Let's just say that someone I know quite well has a 1360 SAT, 31 ACT and is 12% in her class of 900+ students. She has literally never made a B, has taken AP classes in every subject except math (where she is K-level, so same GPA impact as AP), and her rank is below 10% solely because she is choosing 4 years of theater and 4 years of orchestra (3 of those in chamber level). Some districts don't penalize students for fine arts, ours does.

She's on the outside looking in. Do you think we feel better knowing that the admissions department may or may not like her subjective qualities more than her objective scores?

Honestly, I'm over it. She's our youngest. Her older brother went through the admissions mill with solid qualifications and ended up elsewhere after being offered PSA. I'm glad he did. I don't care one bit if she goes to A&M, and that's coming from someone whose dad, brother, and wife are all Aggies.

I think it's a disservice to yourself and your daughter if you think that some door is forever closed just because her admission would not be *automatic*. Let's say she is rejected as a review admit. With her credentials, she should be an easy junior college transfer. Life isn't always a straight line and the rules won't always be crafted in your favor.
lost my dog
NewOldAg said:

The problem isn't that the top XX% rule is a completely terrible thing it's just that it's pretty obvious that 10% is too broad. It has been the case for a long time that the Business & Engineering schools fill up on those kids and a ton of them wash out to other less competitive majors or out of the university all together. Those kids are obviously mismatched to Texas A&M and we aren't doing them any favors by admitting them. There's nothing wrong with those kids going to UTD or UTA and getting a good education there. Texas seems to have figured out that you can still give everyone some opportunity by floating that number higher while also reducing the mismatch problem.
I'm honestly curious - what do you mean by mismatched?
NewOldAg
AG
It's the phenomenon where otherwise smart kids are unsuccessful at colleges that cater to excellent students. The common example being a kid being in the top 5% in Math but going to MIT where the average kid is in the 0.5% in Math. So they fall behind and struggle because they are way behind their classmates. But if they were in an institution where the average was in there range they would thrive.

A&M isn't MIT but the same thing happens in the Engineering and Business schools in particular to kids that may be "college ready" but can't keep up at A&M.
PatAg
AG
Prexys Moon said:

Wow. One more admission class gets academic admit (top 25% and 1360) and then after that it's just top 10 percent and review.
Quote:

https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

Top 25% and a good SAT score vs taking easy courses and getting top 10%...ridiculous
Jack Cheese
AG
TriAg2010 said:

Jack Cheese said:

Oogway said:

I think it's a disservice to yourself and your daughter if you think that some door is forever closed just because her admission would not be *automatic*. Let's say she is rejected as a review admit. With her credentials, she should be an easy junior college transfer. Life isn't always a straight line and the rules won't always be crafted in your favor.

I really appreciate your condescension. Seriously, you've attained a high level.

The point is that the rules are not really skewed at this time toward the objectively more qualified students. The rules are being made more subjective, and we all know why.

She will have plenty of good options. Today's A&M isn't what a lot of people make it out to be anyway.
Jack Cheese
AG
DukeMu said:

Where do people get this? I keep seeing the 70 percent acceptance figure thrown around. Here are the *real* stats as posted from another thread.

49,700 total apps

13,100 top 10 percent
5400 academic admit
2350 full admits, review
3000 other pathways- blinn, gateway, psa
Dark_Knight
AG
Honestly dont see the issue with top 10%. I'd rather have fewer people auto admitted and more people actually looked at.
redd38
AG
Jack Cheese said:

DukeMu said:

Where do people get this? I keep seeing the 70 percent acceptance figure thrown around. Here are the *real* stats as posted from another thread.

49,700 total apps

13,100 top 10 percent
5400 academic admit
2350 full admits, review
Where are you getting your *real* stats?

Here is what A&M says: https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/Apply-Admit-Enroll-Sum-All-Fa18-incl-Galveston.aspx

If you have a more official source then that please post it.
Jack Cheese
AG
http://texags.com/forums/17/topics/3041293
Prexys Moon said:

Went to admissions seminar last week in Longview. Derek Nido is the East Tx representative and it was a great presentation, very informative. Thoughts- (some of this is basic stuff that some of you may know).

1. It is worth it to go to these presentations. Takes the myths out of it. They are all over the state, all summer long.

2. The class applying for Fall 2020, this is the last year for academic admit.(top 25%, 1360 SAT) Reason is to free up more spots for review admit.

Stats for 2019 admits-

49,700 total apps

13,100 top 10 percent
5400 academic admit
2350 full admits, review

He anticipates it being the same for 2020.

I think your linked PDF from TAMU counts PSA and other pathways in the "admitted" number, which puts it pretty close to what is quoted above. The big disparity is in total apps, and I don't know why an A&M admissions representative would quote a different number unless it is for a different year.

To me, counting PSA and other pathways in the admitted column is misleading. It inflates the admission rate and I'm not sure why the school wants to do that.
mccjames
AG
A&M does not count psa or Blinn team in admits, both have to transfer into A&M after meeting grade and class criteria
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Blinn TEAM students are counted in A&M's numbers because they are co-enrolled at both schools. Details on Blinn TEAM can be seen at https://tap.tamu.edu/Programs/TEAM
TexasAggie81
Dark_Knight said:

Honestly dont see the issue with top 10%. I'd rather have fewer people auto admitted and more people actually looked at.

Most professors will never say this out loud, but they absolutely hate the 10% rule. I'm one of them.
TexasAggie81
Oogway said:

What you DON'T see published from A&M is how many top 10% admits from the crappiest inner city schools flunk out after the first or second semesters. I think you might be shocked to see those numbers. Or maybe most of us wouldn't. The 10% rule doesn't do anything but give otherwise marginalized kids one shot. After that, they're on their own.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.