University Studies?

2,360 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fishoutawater
Jack Cheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son has been in CC for a year trying to figure out what to major in. He has settled on graphic design. He'd like to be an Aggie but transferring in to Visualization is probably not realistic - they accept few transfers and his portfolio is thin.

Otherwise I think his odds of acceptance into another major are good - he's got a 3.5 and a fair amount of AP credit as well.

I've seen several University Studies degree plans in the various colleges, a couple of which might approximate a graphic design plan (Communication is one, Global Arts is another).

What is the feeling about these degree plans? Are they even worth considering? I'm even wondering if he should pursue a degree at all or just put his energy into working in the field.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
One thing he can do is call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950 and get their input.
Jack Cheese
AG
Thanks, that is a good option. I'm just wondering if anyone on this board had first hand experience or opinions based on their hiring practices, etc.
double b
AG
TAMU admissions knowledge is going to be limited about the actual job market on those degrees. Your best bet is talking individually with the senior advisors in the prospective departments and maybe even the Career Center and see what kind of data they have on those graduates.

Graphic Design is a hard skill, and quite honestly, you don't need a BS degree to do this area of work. Texas A&M has a few classes dedicated to the Adobe Creative Design Suite, which is what your son is either learning now, or will do so in the future. Also, you can learn a lot of those skills for FREE through several YouTube tutorials.

The University Studies degree is typically meant for two types of students. One, the student that can barely stay academically eligible and needs a home. Two, the kind of student who has such a unique interest that prefer an interdisciplinary style of education. For students in between, it does not benefit as much and is better served in a traditional degree plan.

The type two student is also someone who is quite motivated and is good about forging/creating their own opportunities, and those opportunities will outweigh any degree they are receiving.

My word of advice, pick up the phone or email those advisors and talk to them. As for talking to people in the industry about the degree, they'll be hard-pressed to give their opinion on them because of the relatively few students who graduate with it.
histag10
AG
Try the College of Architecture. They have a university studies degree that would allow your kid to take viza classes, and potentially pursue a career in it. I would suggest reaching out to an academic advisor within the college of architecture.
Jack Cheese
AG
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.
fishoutawater
The University Studies minor in Architecture might be a great fit to get a broad education. He would take an Art minor with new media emphasis and build up his portfolio, and select another minor outside of the College of Architecture. There are a variety of opportunities to mix it up with students in more traditional majors in interdisciplinary charrettes and projects and design orgs like the American Institute of Architecture Students, as well as a mandatory study abroad. The key to success is making the most of the "other education" opportunities that A&M is so good at providing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.