GMAT Prep Courses - Houston

1,640 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Noble07
Allen Gamble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm 5 years removed from undergrad graduation and am in the O&G industry. I work a compressed work schedule 8.75 hours Mon-Thurs and 5 hours Friday....so I'd like to do a weekend course schedule but am willing to do weekdays if need be.

I last took the GMAT in Sept 2017 and haven't touched a study book since (I used ManhattanPrep self-study material) and am now interested in taking prep courses that work around my schedule. I'd like to take the GMAT in August or early Sept so I think I'll need at least 30 hours of of class time.

With that said I was wondering if anybody had recommendations on who to use? I just got off the phone with Varsity Tutors but have also looked at ManhattanPrep and Kaplan.
Duncan Idaho
What did you get in 2017?
Allen Gamble
590. 66% percentile on verbal, and not so great on quant.

Hurricane Harvey hit the day I was supposed to take the test and lost my car due to it.

I largely blame that for ruining my focus and affecting my score
Duncan Idaho
Sounds like the classes would be worth it for you.

I know a lot of people that either think the classes will pull the from a 400 to 660 or think that they need a 720 to get into an executive program that is actively recuited.

Pulling a 590 to a score that will get you into a decent professional program shouldn't be an issue.
Heisenberg01
AG
There are a LOT of online resources out there as well. I used Kaplan's app in addition to ~6 practice tests. Kaplan and the official GMAT website give you 2 free practice tests each.

No matter what route you take, the best advice I got was to spend nearly all my time figuring out the questions I missed. Some questions will get very difficult as you start scoring high and spending time learning how to answer those questions in 90 seconds is what will drive your score much higher.

The app's are good at timing you, so make sure you practice answering questions at the right pace to finish.

I'd also suggest buying the same erasable notepad that you use in the test to practice with. You read a lot of stories where using the marker/erasable pad throws people off when they start the official test.
Noble07
AG
I was happy with Magoosh.

My first practice test was somewhere around 550 and I ended up with a 710. I could've continued improving, but that score was more than enough to get into my program.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.