Mandatory Engineering "Weedout" Courses

4,140 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MouthBQ98
AggieID
How long do you want to ignore this user?
if you have been accepted not only into the college of engineering, but into your degree field, i.e. industrial distribution, are you still required to complete the two "weed out" engineering classes? I understand that say a freshman is accepted in college of engineering, no major yet, he/she has to take these two courses and not only as a weed out, but to see where in the engineering curriculum they fit best. Thanks
lost my dog
AggieID said:

if you have been accepted not only into the college of engineering, but into your degree field, i.e. industrial distribution, are you still required to complete the two "weed out" engineering classes? I understand that say a freshman is accepted in college of engineering, no major yet, he/she has to take these two courses and not only as a weed out, but to see where in the engineering curriculum they fit best. Thanks
Are you a transfer student into ETID?
AggieID
transfer
lost my dog
The answer depends on a lot of things, and it's best if you talk to your department advisor. Yes, it is possible to place out of one of the classes, but it's not possible to make general statements about the situation.

Also, the freshman engineering classes aren't weed-out classes. The D/F/Q rate for them has historically been 6%.
AggieID
thanks, while waiting on admissions meeting, thought I would try and fish out a broad answer or point of view here. Sounds like the answer is that it is possible, but not a guarantee. I have 59 hours if that helps with any further analysis?
double b
AG
Are you referring to the Calc I - III and physics classes? If so, depends on the credit you're bringing from the other school. If you have equivalency, then you won't have to take them.

Also, you can look on the admissions page for transfer students and it lists worksheets mapping out each degree plan.
AggieID
no, I am referring to ENGR 102 Engineering Lab I - Computation. Its only 2 credits but I hear its a lot of homework, i.e. coding in Python
Eliminatus
AG
As a transfer you will not need to take ENGR 102 and 112. Instead they have ENGR 289 which is a two hour course and a single semester. It is a blend of 102 and 112. It is essentially just a python course with a coupla random general engineering things thrown in. Then the other 2 hours can be plugged in with "applicable" transfer work to your degree. Very vague and definitely needs an advisor to work out those two hours. But at the end, you take a semester of python and fill in the gap with previous classwork or another easy similar course that will fit your degree for a total of 4 hours to match the 102 and 112.

Source: I did this.
AggieID
many thanks for your reply!
lost my dog
Eliminatus said:

As a transfer you will not need to take ENGR 102 and 112. Instead they have ENGR 289 which is a two hour course and a single semester. It is a blend of 102 and 112. It is essentially just a python course with a coupla random general engineering things thrown in. Then the other 2 hours can be plugged in with "applicable" transfer work to your degree. Very vague and definitely needs an advisor to work out those two hours. But at the end, you take a semester of python and fill in the gap with previous classwork or another easy similar course that will fit your degree for a total of 4 hours to match the 102 and 112.

Source: I did this.
Things have changed. ENGR 289 will not be offered to transfer students who enter in fall 2019 and after. They will have to follow the 102/216/217 route.

Please discuss with your department advisor for up-to-date detail for your specific case.
Txag_96
You will absolutely hate the useless "general engineering" courses, they are simply A&M's way to suck more money out of you. I'm currently in ID and the content in those general engineering courses is not useful at all to us. You will come to learn that the college of engineering is looking to screw you over in every way possible.
b0ridi
ENGR 102 is not a weedout class.
MouthBQ98
AG
Might as well take the basic engineering courses. A lot of ID students take them as part of an engineering track and then decide like I did that engineering (the way it is currently taught) is frustratingly dry and dull, and switch to ID or ENTC to get to actually DO things beyond calculating and designing. Those base courses will still be useful in ID though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.