Which A&M satellite school?

7,206 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Saint Pablo
Blackstreet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My niece got accepted through the satellite school plan. She has to get to one of these for 1 year and maintain a 3.0 to transfer to CS. Choices are Corpus, Tarleton, Commerce, or Kingsville. I honestly don't know anything about these schools. TIA.
WestGalvestonAggie

Tarleton all day long. Corpus isn't bad though. I'd personally skip the other two unless they were convenient in some way. Nothing really wrong with them, just personal preference.
double b
AG
Check for retention and graduation rates. That'll give you an idea to which campus is stronger and does best to support their students.
ag03kc
AG
I see it as a means to an end. PSA is for a year. It will go fast. Consider overall cost, distance from home, and "gut feeling" to help with the decision. The year at a system school is mostly core classes, so don't overthink it. Most importantly, I recommend talking with the department at TAMU that the student hopes to enter after PSA for any tips and recommendations. Good luck.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
You also can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950.
cypress-ag
AG
Corpus Christi was awesome for my daughter and she loved her one year at the Campus. There are days she tells me she misses being able to take off after class and hit Port A.
JMac03
AG
Tarleton is a beautiful campus! It is probably my favorite to walk around. I've not been to Corpus or Kingsville. I would probably lean to Tarleton or Corpus personally, but keep in mind, you potentially have hurricanes to deal with in CC.
Ogre09
AG
All the Kingsville grads I meet are resentful we took it over.
sek92
AG
Completely bias, my husband and I both work at tarleton. He is the assistant commandant there. Beautiful campus , good teacher ratio, everyone super helpful
gvine07
AG
TAMU Corpus Christi is practically on the beach... if you like beaches that would be tough to beat.

I think Corpus Christi's had 1 hurricane since 1970, and it was 2 years ago. I don't think that's something to worry about.
Saint Pablo
I got into A&M through the PSA program and went to Texas A&M-Commerce. It is pretty much out in the middle of nowhere in East Texas...which allowed me to study more effectively than I would have at Corpus...the beach would have been hard for my 18 year old self to handle.

Overall the school was not bad, classes sizes were incredibly small compared to A&M. I never had a class with more than 50 students in it and many of my classes had under 20 kids in them...it was very nice to get to know professors easier. The people there are nice and really take pride in TAMU-C. They also have a few dorms that have popped up in the last few years and pretty nice rec and dining areas.

It is also an hour and a half away from Dallas...I came home quite a bit when I was there.
Saint Pablo
Regardless of which one, I would absolutely recommend the PSA program as opposed to going to Blinn or something like that. Living expenses will likely be cheaper there and there are advisers at each place that make sure that coursework is in line with A&M's requirements. I know of some people who did community college and had credits that wouldn't transfer or missed because of the GPA requirements. This program is nice because it guarantees admittance with very clear instructions. I also appreciated my time at A&M more because of PSA.
SwissAgg
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Regardless of which one, I would absolutely recommend the PSA program as opposed to going to Blinn or something like that. Living expenses will likely be cheaper there and there are advisers at each place that make sure that coursework is in line with A&M's requirements. I know of some people who did community college and had credits that wouldn't transfer or missed because of the GPA requirements. This program is nice because it guarantees admittance with very clear instructions. I also appreciated my time at A&M more because of PSA.
This happened to me, and I had to take an extra semseter and summer semester to graduate.

Make sure your classes will transfer.
Duncan Idaho
I would pick the school that would be best for her (best program, best recruiting opportunities) if she doesn't get admitted....because there is a good chance she doesn't.
Saint Pablo
Duncan Idaho said:

I would pick the school that would be best for her (best program, best recruiting opportunities) if she doesn't get admitted....because there is a good chance she doesn't.
If you are in the PSA program and you maintain a 3.0 GPA, you are guaranteed admittance...

I'm not sure if you are inferring that this is difficult to do or if you have not heard about this gateway program, but it is pretty easy to maintain a 3.0 at one of the satellite schools if you go to class and put forth the effort. Going into the year, I had four friends who were in the program with me and they all rushed fraternities. One dropped the frat after he saw his grades suffer and the other three stayed in and all failed to meet the grade requirements to get to A&M.
Duncan Idaho
According to this report, it is slight better odds than I expected.

A Comparison of Graduation Rates between PSA and Non-PSA Students at Texas A&M University

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://ucoll.tamucc.edu/Anchor%2520Team/psa-grad-rate-report.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiPg_rln7_jAhWlneAKHQJHCl0QFjAKegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0XwdNT1AtudelRkoZZshsE

Quote:

Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi (TAMUCC) has the most PSA students among the system schools.
Since 2013 slightly over forty percent (42.7%) are successful and go on to College Station.
Saint Pablo
And the only thing that I would note on that is that there are no "odds" if you maintain a 3.0 or higher, you are automatically in.This should be attainable for anyone who gets into the program because A&M doesn't just offer it to everybody, but obviously a lot of people aren't ready to go in and buckle down and get all A's and B's as a freshman in college.

I am not sure what the process is if you fall below that...my buddies who didn't make the 3.0 at TAMU-C didn't reapply to A&M at all.
Duncan Idaho
I know this is texags and every child of every poster is the exception to the rule. But a kid getting accepted to this program should choose the satellite campus off the same criteria that they would choose any other school. Picking CC because it would be the most fun, even if it isnt the best school for your major or have the best recruiting options is just as irresponsible as choosing a major for similar reasons. There is a very real chance they wont make the cut or just decide to stay and will end up graduating from the school they start.
Saint Pablo
If the kid feels comfortable betting on themselves, I would absolutely recommend that they pick the school that they believe gives them the best opportunity to get in to A&M. Maintaining a 3.0 GPA in basic classes at a satellite school is not difficult if you are self disciplined.

If they aren't certain in their ability to remain disciplined then I would recommend doing what you are saying.

I think the strategy for choosing a school varies from kid to kid. I know a lot of kids end up with a 3.6-3.7 in high school, but fall out of the top 10% in their class and don't end up getting accepted. A kid like that could probably maintain a 3.0 at a satellite school easily.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.