Out of State Acceptance and Tuition

2,994 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HECUBUS
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in Overland Park, KS with 3 kids who LOVE A&M. I'm curious how acceptance works for out of state. We have a friend that goes to a Private school (very good) and scored a 34 on ACT, but was only admitted on Satellite Program...he was accepted to Duke and other similar schools, but not A&M. Kid is sharp, has his own lawn mowing company and on the football team...I'm not sure about top 10%. He has a Full USAF ROTC scholarship.

Does A&M honor top 10% Out of State?
sek92
AG
With a 34 on his act, he is automatic. We were in NC and when we saw my daughters act score, we knew come August 1 when she applied, she was good to go.
Txag_96
No, they only auto accept top 10% from Texas high schools and/or Texas residents who go to hs outside the state but are top 10% at that school.

https://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted
Quito
AG
What are the automatic qualifiers for out of state? Is there such a thing?

Is it simply:
- Top 25%
- 1360 SAT or 30 ACT

You achieve the above and you are automatic admit in state or out of state?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
You can review Academic Admits at http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

That lists the criteria for automatic admission for out of state students.
texag86
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

You can review Academic Admits at http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

That lists the criteria for automatic admission for out of state students.

Actually that page doesn't reference out of state applicants at all
TAMUAdmissions
AG

The Academic Admit criteria listed on the link is what applies to anyone for automatic admission. It does not list "attend a public or private high school in Texas" like the criteria for top 10 does.
texag86
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

The Academic Admit criteria listed on the link is what applies to anyone for automatic admission. It does not list "attend a public or private high school in Texas" like the criteria for top 10 does.

I have no idea what that means
Quito
AG
Appears to me, automatic out of state or in state acceptance is:

- Top 25%
- 1360 SAT or 30 ACT

Once accepted the issue will be in state tuition and for most that will be very difficult. I'm think Military scholarship is best option.
texag86
AG
Quito said:

Appears to me, automatic out of state or in state acceptance is:

- Top 25%
- 1360 SAT or 30 ACT

Once accepted the issue will be in state tuition and for most that will be very difficult. I'm think Military scholarship is best option.

That makes sense, thank you, and I agree. Or start at Blinn first
sek92
AG
also i think you need a 5000 dollar scholarship to get in state, i cant remember
AggieAdvisor16
AG
It's $4,000 to get the in-state tuition. And it doesn't have to be all from one scholarship. You could get two $2k scholarships, for example.
histag10
AG
It does have to be a competitively awarded institutional scholarship/scholarships. If you received $4000 in awards, and are curious if you will get a non-resident tuition waiver, call Scholarships and they can look into whether your awards are considered competitive (residents and non residents equally compete for award)
agdad021
Rumor on the street is that this is the last year for the academic admit . High school juniors now the rules are the same but after that it's going to 10% and holistic.
Txag_96
If your kid was given a scholarship to attend other accredited colleges and was not full admit to A&M, do not waste your time with A&M because they clearly don't look highly upon your kid.

I've read too many posts on here of parents trying to convince their kid to turn down acceptances and/or scholarships to other colleges simply because they want their kid to be an Aggie. A&M doesn't care if you're an Aggie legacy or not, they just want to meet enrollment & diversity needs.
BrownDeerAggie
AG
My kid was an out of state automatic admission from Wisconsin into computer engineering last year. Unfortunately, he did not get enough in scholarships. Only $1200 from the Corps of Cadets and nothing from anywhere else at A&M. Of course, as a white male, he couldn't check enough boxes in order to get more scholarship money from A&M. Even tried to get ROTC scholarship and was told to try again after his freshman year. His dream was to go to A&M and be in the Corps. He was crushed that we couldn't swing the out of state tuition even for his first year to gamble on getting the ROTC scholarship. He is now at the Milwaukee School of Engineering, a very small, private engineering school with a great reputation for quality graduates. Their tuition is higher than A&M's out of state tuition, but MSOE gave him a 90% in scholarships and grants. He has adjusted to not being at A&M. The saddest I saw him was when he was watching the Cadets at President Bush's funeral; he muttered softly, "I should be there to salute the President."

I wish you good luck, but after your kid gets accepted, the real challenge begins in getting enough scholarship dollars to get in state tuition.
HECUBUS
AG
Why not UW-Madison?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.