Rankings Of School As Part of Decision Process

2,873 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Heisenberg01
PanzerAggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When looking at an online MBA program I would assume that most take into account, at least to some extent, the ranking of the institution they are looking at. Which do you feel is more impactful....they overall ranking of the university or the ranking of the individual program?

I ask because West Texas A&M has an online MBA program that is ranked at #45 (I'm having a difficult time comprehending this) but their overall ranking is so low that it does not even register. This may be an extreme example but it got me thinking about the original question I asked.
Duncan Idaho
If you don't go to a school with top 20 full time program, don't count on any credit for name recognition.

Business schools fall into 3 categories (regardless of program) :
1)oh wow! you went there!?!?! (M7 schools)
2)oh nice! you went there. (Schools with a Top 20 full time programs)
3)oh how nice, you went where? (Literally every where else)

If you are going to school to check a box and maybe learn something, it doesn't matter where you go.

If you are trying to change careers or career paths go to the best school you can get into based on what you want to do and who recruits from that school.
PanzerAggie06
AG
I spoke to my old roommate last night about this and he pretty much said the same thing as you. This is a guy who just finished his MBA at the Booth School at Chicago... in other word he is insane smart. He spent a full two years researching the top MBA schools before making a decision using research data points that were shockingly detailed. Anyway his statements mirrored yours with some minor differences..... I'm paraphrasing

1. You went to a Top 10 Program? Here is your 175,000 starting salary with bonus. (Chicago, Harvard, Stanford)

2. You went to a Top 20 Program? Impressive. You are one of the best. (Michigan, UT, Indiana)

3. You went to a school I've heard of so it must be fairly good. (Syracuse, Cincinnati, Georgia)

4. You went where? Never heard of it so I'm doubtful (American Univ, Old Dominion, Marist College)

5. Haha, you think that even counts? Go away. (Devry, Phoenix, Kaplan)

Ag In Ok
AG
I'm in tier 3, accomplished in my career and over 40. If i were 10 years younger the answer would be quite different but with a healthy family work like balance, i don't want to break my back on a tier 2 or 1. I only have one shot at raising my teens and it is a nice to have, more of a compliment to my resume than a the emphasis.
agdad021
As a recruiter in the acct/finance space here are the few reasons to get an MBA.

1) You are in Engineering/Healthcare and want to fill in knowledge gap to climb the corp ladder.
2) Attend top 10 school to go to wall street or Top 3 management consulting i.e. Bain, McKinsey, Boston
3) Networking in local market - it will grow your network in the local market
4) Ability to check box on application - Do you have an MBA? yes
5) Acquire knowledge - genuine learning only

Bad reasons
1) More $ at current job
2) More $ at new position after completion that is greater than tuition costs for first few years. Don't spend 100k on an MBA and expect it to recoup cost quickly.

We have so many people contact us about a new job after completing the MBA at an average school and expect the huge salary they were promised in the recruiting sales pitch.

FYI - I have an MBA from an average school but glad I did it and wouldn't change it

Good Luck
BTD
Duncan Idaho said:

If you don't go to a school with top 20 full time program, don't count on any credit for name recognition.

Business schools fall into 3 categories (regardless of program) :
1)oh wow! you went there!?!?! (M7 schools)
2)oh nice! you went there. (Schools with a Top 20 full time programs)
3)oh how nice, you went where? (Literally every where else)

If you are going to school to check a box and maybe learn something, it doesn't matter where you go.

If you are trying to change careers or career paths go to the best school you can get into based on what you want to do and who recruits from that school.
Always love this.

Schools 21 thru 1,000...."you went where?" Oh and don't forget the "literally".
Heisenberg01
AG
Exactly. If someone doesn't know about Georgetown, Rice, or Vanderbilt and lumps those degrees in with Sam Houston State, then the problem is with that person and not the student.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.