Unique situation: Spring 2019 Freshman Admissions

2,089 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TAMUAdmissions
mayberrymom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags,
My 19 year old was a homeschool student. Took a gap year-and-a-half to save tuition money. He applied late August for Spring 2019 Freshman Admissions. We were told by phone when he applied that decisions for Spring 2019 Incoming Freshmen might come as late as end of November. What??? My son is definitely a review admit.
His info:
Applied mid-August
Homeschooled (automatically top 25%)
Highest ACT score 28
5 Letters of Recommendation (his Scoutmaster (Aggie business owner), his Uncle (Aggie 100 award), 2 teachers, and his pastor
Great extracurriculars and volunteer hours
Eagle Scout who served as Senior Patrol Leader
GPA unweighted...can't remember the exact number, but it was around a 3.8

He's wanting to get into Environmental Design. The BED Executive Associate Dept Head said if he's admitted for the university, it's first-come-first-served, and all purely based on number of available physical seats in the studio classes, and that change of major students and transfer students are also competing for these spots.

So on College Confidential, I see some review admits are starting to be notified for Fall 2019. Is there any rhyme or reason to when Spring 2019 review admits start rolling in? I would have thought that since spring arrives before fall, these would be dealt with first? Maybe not?

Wringing my hands for my son! Husband and I are both Ags, husband and his Dad played TAMU football, our second son is there right now in Mays, and we even own a rental house where my 2nd son (and hopefully this third one) can live. We are *totally* invested in this school and town. My poor son is checking his account daily to see if his 3 tabs have magically turned into 6. No luck so far.

Can anyone tell me personal stories about Spring freshman admissions process? We're definitely the odd-balls as far as timing.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Home-schooled students will have a rank assigned based on SAT or ACT scores.

For review admits for spring, A&M really does not know their competition until the deadline passes. A few review applicants for next fall may hear early but the vast majority of them will not hear until after the first of the year.

Checking AIS once a week is probably enough - towards the end of the week is best.
mayberrymom
AG
"For review admits for spring, A&M really does not know their competition until the deadline passes."
Which deadline do you mean? Thanks so much for your response!
TAMUAdmissions
AG
The deadline to apply for the semester you want. Then A&M knows who is in the applicant pool.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.