FINANCIAL AIDE RESOURCES FOR AN INCOMING FRESHMAN

1,602 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by histag10
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know an incoming freshman whose college savings account was drained by his estranged step father last weekend. What resources can I direct him to so he can go to A&M? His mom is a teacher at a piss-ant school district so he was banking on this to get him started on his college career.

Any help would be appreciated and I can forward it to him. My email is citzler05@hotmail.com
histag10
AG
Have the student fill out the FAFSA. The FAFSA for the 1920 academic year will use taxes from 2017. If there have been major changes since 2017 (it seems like that may be likely), the student needs to collect ALL documentation of this, and speak with a financial aid advisor about it. Tell the student they NEED to fill out their FAFSA by December 15th (priority deadline), and they need to speak with an advisor about recent circumstances as soon as possible after that. The student needs to know they do not have to physically be here to meet or speak with a financial aid advisor. If the student calls in or emails, they can still speak with a full time financial aid advisor.

Do you know if the student filled out the scholarship application when they applied? If they selected that they were going to apply for scholarships but did not complete the application, they can (and NEED to) still log in, complete it and submit it. This is the only way they will be considered for scholarships for their freshman year. If they selected that they did not want to apply for scholarships, unfortunately there is no way to go back.

The final option would be alternative loans. These are loans that are not backed by the department of education, and often times require a co-signor. I know that no one wants to take out loans, but sometimes it's necessity with college.

The student can also reach out to the Money Education Center here on campus. They can work with the student with budgeting and planning out the entire 4 years. They can also help explain and go over loan options and what the repayment plans would look like for them.

If the student is looking for someone to talk to about all of this, they can reach financial aid at financialaid@tamu.edu or 979-845-3236. They can also reach the money education center at money@tamu.edu or 979-845-7283.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
thanks, i'll pass that along
magscientist14
AG
Yes, to everything in the above comment (FAFSA, and talking with financial aid etc.)!

Also, tell the student to look and apply for scholarships. There are so many out there, and some don't even require an essay. I think Fastweb.com has a bunch on there and try looking into different city, religious or other organizations that have scholarships.

I was fortunate and had a teacher that prepped us for college. She made us complete and submit 10 scholarship applications a week. Having some sort of plan like that would go a long way too.

histag10
AG
Outside scholarships are a great resource. If the student doesnt know where to begin (and HS Counselor is no help), A&M has vetted quite a few scholarships & search engines.

http://scholarships.tamu.edu/additional-scholarships.aspx

http://scholarships.tamu.edu/Regional-Scholarships.aspx

Both above sites are great resources for scholarships
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.