Question about Mays school

2,471 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Science Denier
Science Denier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son is an ECON major. He interned with a bank and was offered a full time job once he graduates this coming spring. However, this bank require 9 hours of accounting and ECON only gets them 6 hours. He's going to have to take one course in the Mays program. This is an upper level course, thus not offered at Blinn or any JUCO. He intends on taking this course this spring

Apparently, you have to get Mays' permission to sign up for one of these courses. He's sent an email every day this week to the counselors over there trying to get an appointment to spend a few min with them discussing this, but none will respond.

If any of you know anyone that he could contact, it would certainly be appreciated.

Does GPA even matter in something like this? His GPA is right at a 3.9 if it even matters.

Do y'all think tracking down one of the profs would be helpful? He doesn't really want to be a pain, but this is a very good job. Would suck to have to give it up because he's not allowed to take one class.
LOL OLD
500,000ags
AG
During my time, Mays was very stringent on classes. I never met a non-Mays or non-Agribusiness (just one of these) majors in any upper level business courses. Even the business minor classes were separated.

If he's going to be a credit analyst, tell your son to tell the bank he is going to sit for the CFA. That would more than eliminate any concerns.
aggiewhoop1
AG
Tell him to email Peter Drysdale
Duncan Idaho
He probably rubbed someone the wrong way with daily emails.

I'd give it a few days and then go to the prof's office hours or politely and humbly explain the situation to the department head's secretary and see if you can't get on the right persons calendar.

Alternatively, talk to the economics department, I can't believe this is the first time this has come up, they probably have a channel established for this kind of thing.
Bayside Tiger Ag
aggiewhoop1 said:

Tell him to email Peter Drysdale

This. If the undergrad advisors aren't helpful over email, try visiting in person.

Duncan is also right about the department head. Jim Benjamin leads the accounting department and is fantastic. The difficulty I see here is there may be differential tuition. Mays undergrads pay a bit more tuition than other students outside the business school, so they may expect him to pony up a bit more cash before they enroll him in an accounting course.

Science Denier
AG
Thanks for the help! I'll give him this advice.
LOL OLD
Science Denier
AG
Quote:

He probably rubbed someone the wrong way with daily emails.

Lol that was my idea. He sent a few emails a week or more apart. I told him maybe they get so many emails, they miss some and said daily emails may work better.
LOL OLD
Science Denier
AG
Quote:

The difficulty I see here is there may be differential tuition. Mays undergrads pay a bit more tuition than other students outside the business school, so they may expect him to pony up a bit more cash before they enroll him in an accounting course.

To keep this job, that won't be an issue.
LOL OLD
Duncan Idaho
jblaschke said:

Quote:

The difficulty I see here is there may be differential tuition. Mays undergrads pay a bit more tuition than other students outside the business school, so they may expect him to pony up a bit more cash before they enroll him in an accounting course.

To keep this job, that won't be an issue.

I dont think he was bringing it up as a financial concern but rather as an admistrative headache that he might have to deal with.

If I were him, my first stop would be to the econ faculty advisor. Like I said, this can't be a unique problem and there is probably a process already established to handle it.
BusAg
AG
GPA may not matter if the course(s) in question are limited to majors only. Did he email an Academic advisor in Accounting about this question?
JustPanda
AG
PM me. I'm on the mays development council.
Science Denier
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.