Registration help

1,127 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oogway
vin1041
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any tips to pass along to my son who is trying to get into a Fall English course that has been full since registration opened? His advisor is of no help, he's constantly checking to see if someone drops...
AggieAdvisor16
AG
I'm an advisor in an engineering department. My advice would be to take it next semester or take it at a community college. We require ENGL 104 & 210 in my department. They fill up really quickly and there's nothing we can do to get the English department to offer more seats. It's a prerequisite for one of our courses and I end up with students that have to take it over the summer every year. It's just one of those bottleneck courses that students have to think about ahead of time and there's nothing we can do about it as advisors when the course is in a different department than our own.
vin1041
AG
Thanks. Yes, its 210 for Biochemistry. He did everything they told him about registering for it as soon as he could but it's still full. The English Dept told him it's because of lack of funding.
AggieAdvisor16
AG
A tip for helping him register for it in the spring is that he can take an online section from the Galveston campus. It usually takes longer to fill up than the ones in College Station. And I don't understand the funding issue. Teaching more sections would make them more money. The College of Science tried to cancel all of their calculus sections on us a few summers ago citing a lack of funding. We started sending all of our engineering students that needed one that summer to Blinn and suddenly they somehow found the money to teach the courses...
Oogway
That's on the Dean, not the department, though. (Funding/College of Science) If the funds are not released then the departments cannot assume that there will be money for summer salaries (9 month appts means summer salaries for teaching) when they are setting the schedule back in the fall. To do otherwise would be fiscally irresponsible. If the funds are made available then extra sections can be taught if there are faculty to teach them. Any revenue made by a department for instruction goes to the College of Science not the department.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.