What is the HP48GX in 2018

1,856 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bonfire97
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All,
I am trying to figure out a calculator for my son who is entering high school. Back in my day, all engineering students had the HP48 series (with a few having TIs). What is the go-to calc in 2018 that everyone is using in engineering classes at A&M nowadays?

Thanks in advance.
powerbelly
AG
Bonfire97 said:

All,
I am trying to figure out a calculator for my son who is entering high school. Back in my day, all engineering students had the HP48 series (with a few having TIs). What is the go-to calc in 2018 that everyone is using in engineering classes at A&M nowadays?
What does the high school recommend?

I imagine it is different than what the A&M engineering department recommends.
Bonfire97
AG
Well, the school is issuing TI-83 or TI-84, which I feel are somewhat out of date. My younger co-workers have mentioned the TI-89 or TI-Nspire CX or Nspire CX CAS. HP48 was in the hands of nearly everyone back in the 90s. It seems like there is some variability now in what folks are using.
powerbelly
AG
I would go with what the school is issuing. They will teach using that calculator and it will be much easier to follow along. He can upgrade to something else later.
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks. Yes, that is what I am going to do. I just remember getting my HP48S as a freshman and was glad I had it all through high school so when college came along I knew it backwards and forwards.
redd38
AG
I'm using a TI-83, I have a TI-89 also but I'm more comfortable with the 83 so that's what I use.
Ridge14
In 2014 the TI-89 was the go to. Some kids were starting to get some really fancy calculators with color screens and that also had the ability to store pdf of textbooks but those weren't too common. I still use my TI-89 today.
Lone Stranger
In engineering at A&M the go to today is the TI 80 something series. My theory is this is because most high schools teach from the TI-80 something and supply them. There are still occasionally profs or certain tests where the TI-89 is not allowed.....but that seems to be dropping exponentially these days.

Ridge14
Lone Stranger said:

In engineering at A&M the go to today is the TI 80 something series. My theory is this is because most high schools teach from the TI-80 something and supply them. There are still occasionally profs or certain tests where the TI-89 is not allowed.....but that seems to be dropping exponentially these days.

In the lower level courses such as math 151 and 152 no calculators were allowed or only little four function calculators because the TI-89 calculates the derivative or integral for you.
AggieAdvisor16
AG
My department has started only allowing basic calculators in some of our upper level courses because students were storing information in them in order to cheat on exams. Some of the calculators now will even let you store pdf files on them.
TWC22
AG
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks for all the replies folks. I am just going to let him use the TI-83 this year. Then, force the TI-89 next year. The above posts remind me of a funny story. Back when I was taking 152 (Cal2) our prof walked into class on the first day and said "You all go ahead and bring your HP48GX's into all my tests - it's not gonna help you!". Then, he followed it up with a wild and crazy laugh that seemed like it went on for 10 seconds. This would have been about spring of '94. I don't see his name on the Math faculty anymore, so he must be gone. I can't remember the name.

And, he was right, it wouldn't integrate any of the problems on the test. They were cleverly written and very hard problems - nothing like anything in the homework or lecture. Oh, those were the days! LOL
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.