Advice for my HS Freshman...

77 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 94chem
Dark Helmet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are you on about? Your kid's high school counselor dictates when his application gets in? Is that a new thing?

I never even spoke to my school counselor. I don't even think we had one.
histag10
AG
I'm guessing it's in reference to the additional documents needed for the application to be considered complete. The only thing I can think that the counselor may do is send the high school transcript, and it seems like that is an automated process in most schools through online requests on electronic delivery to A&M.
HECUBUS
AG
Yes. They got a new counselor that started mid September. Kid checked yesterday and the counselor held up a fat folder that they had to get through this weekend. Claimed one of his 14 applications was in that folder. He might get his first one in next week.
HECUBUS
AG
Yes, I believe all they have to do is the transcripts.

I was wrong... They also write a letter of recommendation based off a form the parents fill out and the transcripts. They don't know any of the students.

More wrong... once the LOR is done, 6/14 applications have been waiting with test scores and essays, etc. Kid has been slacking off because of the holdup and some places have crazy additional essays. That's more than I want to know. All he needs is one application.

His teachers got their LOR's in weeks ago.
Aggie71013
AG
Is this really true? My sister and I were both valedictorian from the same high school, both involved in organizations and sports, both leaders in clubs, and had roughly the same SAT scores (10-20 point difference if I remember). She studied hard for the PSAT and became national merit, whereas, I did not. She got a full ride and I got $0 in scholarship money from the university.
histag10
AG
Yes, it is true. This information is available on our website: http://scholarships.tamu.edu/Scholarship-Programs/National-Scholars#0-NationalMeritScholars

And yes, it is a holistic review process, but again, for the most part, donors dictate the criteria that can be used when awarding their scholarships.

The reality is that it is highly competitive to get a scholarship at Texas A&M. There is a good portion of valedictorians who do not get awarded scholarships. Unless you and your sister entered college at the same time, you really cant compare yourselves to each other.

And as a reminder, you can always donate to our scholarship pool without having to endow a scholarship. You can donate through the Texas A&M Foundation or the Association of Former Students. Or - you could endow a scholarship. We love when people do that!
Aggie71013
AG
Good to know. Always felt a bit unfair as it felt $ came down to one test, but that wasn't the case. My parents did endow a scholarship, but like you mentioned it has very specific requirements.
HECUBUS
AG
Interesting stats... Kid's Organic Chemistry teacher did LOR's for the entire class. One kid applied to 22 schools, one kid 6, the average was 12.

There's the cause of the acceptance rates for the popular schools.
HECUBUS
AG
Yay, the counselor got the transcripts in "an hour ago" and he just got accepted. The "hour ago" doesn't sound right, but so what, he's in.
histag10
AG
Congrats!

Did he fill out the scholarship application?
HECUBUS
AG
Ha. Probably. Seniors are elusive creatures. I might see ours at three dinners and one breakfast a week. If I'm lucky.

I know this weekend is a Stros game, ACL day and some lake time. He's enjoying the heck out of his senior year. Mission accomplished.
94chem
HECUBUS said:

Interesting stats... Kid's Organic Chemistry teacher did LOR's for the entire class. One kid applied to 22 schools, one kid 6, the average was 12.

There's the cause of the acceptance rates for the popular schools.

Organic chemistry in high school? Why not just skip college and apply for grad school?
HECUBUS
AG
True. His semior schedule is tougher than my sophomore year of college. Kids are crazy serious in HS these days.

AP English
AP Linear Algebra - no AP test exists
AP Micro Economics
AP Multivariable Calculus - AP no test exists
AP Organic Chemistry - no AP test exists
AP Physics Electromagnets
AP Physics Mechanics
Biotechnology (ACC) and Advanced Film electives

That's only 7 classes, math and physics are two parts, one for each semester. Only 4 AP tests.
94chem
That's insane. I took an AP English grammar test after junior year, then got to take level as a senior. As someone who has dealt with many scholars from the Far East, I wonder if we are pushing kids into too many of these advanced Stem courses before their minds have matured to develop the abstract thinking skills that will facilitate creation in those fields. It is impressive to digest multivariable calculus and Diff EQ Physics in HS, but rarely is a student that age able to produce meaningful creative output.

I encourage your son to get engaged in research early as an undergrad, even if it means a lighter course load. Not as a checkbox, but as a chance to see where these advanced courses might be leading him creatively.
HECUBUS
AG
He's been engaged in research at tu (Supramolecular Sensors). We really don't worry about academics for that one, at all. He has his initial path mapped.

He wants to major in Chemistry.

He got the letter in seven days. ATM is really fast once you get everything in. He got into the college of choice also. Housing is significantly nicer than most.
94chem
Cool. I try to give as little back as possible. Keeps the future competition down.
viejo
I hear in San Antonio the mantra is "Get your grades up or get your guns up!".
viejo
histag10 said:

Yes, it is true. This information is available on our website: http://scholarships.tamu.edu/Scholarship-Programs/National-Scholars#0-NationalMeritScholars

And yes, it is a holistic review process, but again, for the most part, donors dictate the criteria that can be used when awarding their scholarships.

The reality is that it is highly competitive to get a scholarship at Texas A&M. There is a good portion of valedictorians who do not get awarded scholarships. Unless you and your sister entered college at the same time, you really cant compare yourselves to each other.

And as a reminder, you can always donate to our scholarship pool without having to endow a scholarship. You can donate through the Texas A&M Foundation or the Association of Former Students. Or - you could endow a scholarship. We love when people do that!
To be clear...if you give to the Association of Former Students, they decide where the money goes. If you give to the A&M Foundation, you decide. Most people don't know that.
Bird Poo
AG
viejo said:

TCEH tards.
94chem
OneNightW said:

viejo said:

TCEH tards.
U of H would be a more respectable choice.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.