Switching from POLS to SOCI?

1,816 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dark Helmet
A.RoseR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy!

I am currently majoring in Political Science but is highly considering switching over to Sociology. Can anyone who has been in my situation and switched tell me about their experience? Or even if you are currently a Sociology major? I would love to learn more about the classes and the major itself from someone who is a current or has graduated with the major.

Thanks!
AggieAdvisor16
AG
Not a SOCI major and don't personally know anybody that was. As a current advisor in an academic department on campus though, I would recommend that you contact an academic advisor for the SOCI department. They can give you more insight into the program and give you the contact information for a current or recent former student who can give you more details about what it's like being a student in the department. When perspective students visit me, I like to have them meet with a current student as well.
NH23
Howdy,

I am a current Sociology student (class of 2020).
I personally love it. If you have never taken a SOCI class I would highly recommend SOCI 230 - Classical Sociological Theory. It gives a good base line for what the rest of sociology is based on.

I was actually a Math major for my first year and a half, until I switched over to SOCI after taking intro (SOCI 205). To me, it's a subject that is highly under-studied and highly recommend it.

Fun Fact: President Reagan studied both Economics and Sociology.
TexasAggie73
AG
My daughter started off has a psy major and then ended up majoring in both psy and sociology. She ended up getting a free ride for her masters and PhD in Criminology. She took a sociology course has a undergrad and her professor told her that she thinks like a sociologist and to make a longer story short that is why she double majored.
Dark Helmet
I'm late, but there is no reason whatsoever to major in sociology. None. I was a POLS major and was able to twist that into getting into grad school in a field that's actually worth something and now it's all sunshine and rainbows.

POLS is worthless as well, but it's easier to exaggerate your studies and apply them to something else. That's why a lot of JDs were polisci, they learned how to write and get an easy A.

If you're just super interested in sociology, just volunteer for a bunch of research projects, work for a non profit like Scotty's House (if they're still around), and do really well on your GPA and GRE and go to grad school for sociology. You'll need a doctorate, though, so have fun spending your 20s getting screwed by academia. Doctoral students are treated like trash, usually. Masters students seem to be occupying the sweet spot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.