Graduate Programs no GRE/GMAT

5,745 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dirk Diggler
Dirk Diggler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are there any graduate programs at A&M that don't require / will waive the GMAT/GRE? I'm an active duty officer currently in company command at Fort Hood. I have a pretty unique opportunity after command where I can go to school full time and remain on active duty. By the time I would start school I would be at 7-8 years of active service . My bachelors GPA was over 3.0. I would be fully funded by the Army. Thanks.
Duncan Idaho
Are you just wanted to get a degree because you are bored?

I don't think I'd waste my time with a grade degree from a program that didn't require a test score.

Dirk Diggler
AG
Negative it is not because I am bored. It's a special program where I remain on active duty but they are paying me to go to school full time. No significant military obligations other than keeping my grades up. I remain on active duty, full salary and benefits, and they pay my tuition for anywhere I get accepted. When I graduate I go back to work . The 2 years I'm in school count towards my retirement. I understand that a program that doesn't require test scores may not be the most prestigious. My fighting Texas Aggie wife has a a good job in Temple right now and there's not always a lot of opportunities for a military officer to stabalize like this for several years( especially in the great state of Texas) After this I still have my full GI bill and the Hazelwood Act for a second masters or PHD if I want. I appreciate your opinion though. FWIW there are several prestigious schools with programs across the country that will waive the GRE / GMAT for professional / military experience
Just one link with some info.
https://www.gradschools.com/get-informed/before-you-apply/choosing-graduate-program/grad-schools-no-gre
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Almost all grad programs at A&M would require the GRE/GMAT. You can always reach out to some you would be interested in and ask them.. You can find your depts. at tamu.edu
powerbelly
AG
Why not identify the program you want and take the GMAT/GRE?

It seems odd to reduce you options to avoid a standardized test.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
The program I work for (A&M) admits many military students both veteran and active and does not require a GRE (it's for working professionals and the holistic review for admission looks at work history/military history, experiences, future goals, etc. instead of just GRE benchmark scores for admission). It has application both in military and outside settings, and the degree is seen as a specialized degree within the field, is taught by academic/industry experts, and is highly regarded. Also, it's distance ed and so other than 1 week a year you aren't required to come to campus.

Feel free to email me... specializedgradprogram@tamu.edu
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--
Duncan Idaho
The people I know that went through similar programs in the military were a nuke engineer, a biochemist, multiple MDs, an MBA.

Then all of the war college and command school guys.

I honestly don't know any of them that said "I got into the position, now what should I study?"

They all were there other way around "I got into to this grad program, now transfer me."
Dirk Diggler
AG
I have been in the Army a little over 6 years. 5.5 of those years I have been very busy with key leadership positions and deployments. I was a platoon leader in 3 different platoons, and a Company XO. Deployed overseas and multiple field training exercises across the country. After captains career course I deployed again immediately and was told I would have to wait anywhere from 12-24 months for a company command. The original plan was to Study and take the GRE/GMAT while I was on staff waiting for command. Long story short some folks screwed up/ got fired and I was only on staff for about 6 months before taking command. I'm in a pretty intense field training cycle right now all the way through FEB and then will be deploying overseas again in the spring. I'm happy you have friends that were in "similar" programs to mine and are doctors and engineers. I am a combat arms officer and enjoy what I do. I plan to retire from the military. I plan on spending the 2 years I'm in school to maximize time with my family because that's valuable to me and I haven't been able to the last 6 years. I already have a degree from the best university in the world and anything on top of that is gravy . Thanks for everyone's responses. Aggodess I will send you an email but I unfortunately don't think it will work Because one of the few requirements is that it is a full Time program.
SpartanAg1618
AG
Texas A&M has one of the top 5 sport management masters program in the nation. The review is holistic and does not require GRE. The degree is offered both traditionally in-person and online.

I just want to say that degrees that are obtained without requiring GRE are not "worthless" or cause for disregard. There are plenty of programs out there that have done away with utilizing the GRE as a benchmark for entry into their program, as the GRE fails to provide a holistic view of an applicants level of aptitude and ability to think critically. As an Admissions representative for the university, and a current sport management masters student I can attest to the rigorous course load and the vast knowledge gained from partaking in a program that does not require a GRE.

During my time completing my degree I have taken classes that have focused on a variety of topics such as finance, economics, managament, Human Resource training, research and law. While the classes do have a specific focus on sports they are taught in a manor similar to classes in any one of the related fields. Therefore upon completeition of the degree in sport management the masters student should be able to translate the tangiable skills learned over the course of the program to a sports setting, or beyond. I think we can all agree that after graduation it is more about how you market yourself with the skills and abilities learned over time that will land you the job, than the name of the degree earned, more often than not.

I'm not here to push you towards a masters in sport management, but instead trying to combat the notion that a program that does not require a subjective test, such as the GRE, to gain entry does automatically render it useless, and/or subpar. This just means that the program utilizes additional benchmarks that are required to gain entry into the program, such as prior experience in the field, and multiple letters of recommendation, in addition to the GPA requirement and the submission of the application.
Bigballin
AG
The executive MBA does not require the gmat or gre but you're likely going to need 15 years experience to get in.
Bayside Tiger Ag
I'd still recommend taking one of the exams. Agree with DuncanIdaho, too.

Grad school is about branding yourself with a program that's a good fit for you, getting access to closed networks, and for recruiting... becoming enlightened through rigorous coursework is secondary.

Programs that offer gmat/gre waivers do so at the expense of everything that makes sense about grad school in the first place.
AgFan131
My understanding is the GRE is required by the state of Texas, not A&M.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Universities in Texas have different policies. Sometimes schools waive the GRE which they would not be able to do if the state required it.
Ranger1743
AG
Just take the test, you aren't required to report your score if you do poorly. ETS has practice tests online that are identical in form, timing etc to the real thing. Your score on the real test will be very close to the practice exams.
Dirk Diggler
AG
Backofentb, sent you a PM. I took Command of a Second Company last month and head overseas with them soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.