MBA Advice - long

3,631 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MemorialTXAg
bruh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys. So I am in an interesting situation and wanted some extra opinions wherever I could get them.

Currently live in Ft. Worth and start the MBA program at TCU in late July. Originally I applied to 5 schools full-time programs and got into 4 and narrowed my choices down to A&M and TCU. A&M I got a small scholarship and TCU I got a full-tuition scholarship, so I am basically paying almost nothing to go here. Since moving to Fort Worth, I have become very uneasy about my decision and have been second guessing myself like crazy for various reasons. I got word from the A&M MBA program today that it is possible to defer my admission to 2019.. So my question is this:

Do I stay at TCU?
-I have a full-ride scholarship
-Already signed a 2 year lease on a rent house
-My wife already has a full time job

or

Withdraw from the program, get a job for a year, and then switch to A&M's MBA program?
HeightsAg
Like always, it depends. What do you want to do post business school? Do your target companies/industry recruit at Neely? If not, do they recruit at Mays? Could your wife get a job in College Station (i.e. teacher, realtor, etc)?

All else being equal, Mays is higher ranked but since it still isn't good enough to get you into the most coveted MBA jobs like i-banking, strategy consultant or high tech, it's not worth the difference financially to give up the full ride.
Bayside Tiger Ag
Agree with this.

If you're wanting to boost yourself more easily into those industries HeightsAg mentioned, drop TCU and reapply to a top 15 next cycle. That said, being at a top 15 doesn't guarantee you jobs in these industries... it just makes them more accessible.

All that said, TCU is still a solid program. I know people who are doing cool things with a Neeley MBA. If it were me and I were deciding between A&M and TCU (with full tuition paid and housing determined), I'd stay with TCU.

Not to mention, having DFW in your backyard makes it a lot easier to bust your ass on the networking trail (which you have to do at any MBA program... why not make it easier on yourself by being in the metroplex?). Sure, A&M networking is great, but you're not as geographically inconvenienced at TCU which should make it easier for you to make connections at an incredibly important time in your career.

I can't think of any scenario in your situation where choosing Mays over Neeley makes sense for you.

If you're a straight white male, disregard this paragraph... if you do want to get yourself into those industries HeightsAg mentioned, it can still be done at a school outside the top 15, it's just a lot more difficult. This is where company diversity initiatives can really help, if you fit the bill. If you are female, or some other minority in the bschool community (be it black, hispanic, gay, or whatever else now counts for diversity), the world is your oyster when it comes to MBA jobs.

On another note, and this is less of a strong argument yet still relevant... you already have access to the A&M network (unless your agtag is fake ). It can't hurt to have another great school on your resume.

Just my $0.02.
Duncan Idaho
Bluedevil hit it on the nose.

An MBA is about networking and recruiting.

You already have access to the aTm network. And if the recruiting options aren't that different, I'd go with the free program.

But if Mays has significantly better on campus recruiting options then I would go Mays.

bruh
AG
I appreciate the advice everyone. All of this has been very helpful. I'm interested in brand management/marketing so I think I can get into some pretty solid companies via the Neeley program. But again, I appreciate you guys reaching out to me. This is why I love the Aggie Network, strangers always helping strangers just because of the A&M connection.
Bayside Tiger Ag
In that case, if I were you, I'd start reaching out to the brand management folks at Frito Lay in Plano now. They have a really solid marketing organization and in my experience, they place more emphasis on networking than most other CPG marketing organizations. Good luck, and be sure to have fun in your 2 years away from the real world!

And remember when prioritizing your time, grades only really matter for those pursuing consulting or ibanking... do what you need to do to keep your scholarship, but there's seriously no reason to beat yourself up to get great grades.

Go for the beer with your classmates instead of studying for your exam. Grades mattered in undergrad and to get you in the door at Neeley. Not anymore!
Duncan Idaho
Yeah what he said again. your recruitment process started the day you decided to apply.

Start reaching out to people, get involved in the clubs on campus, put on events, every decision for the next two years needs to be able to answer "how does this help me land this particular job"

MAKE DAMN SURE YOUR WIFE UNDERSTANDS HER POSITION IN THAT EQUATION.

I am not saying to be a dick to her but make sure she understands that a meet and greet company happy hour comes before your anniversary dinner.

Bayside Tiger Ag
Duncan Idaho said:

MAKE DAMN SURE YOUR WIFE UNDERSTANDS HER POSITION IN THAT EQUATION.
So true. My wife was a saint for dealing with me during that time.
You're going to have a blast in your program, but recognize there will be growing pains throughout the two year journey. There are hundreds of things you need to be doing each day, but you only have enough time to put your attention on a small percentage of that, and that's with long days already factored in.

Because of this, make sure you indoctrinate her into the MBA lifestyle early on. Do your best to introduce her to other spouses of your classmates so she can have another support group to lean on. What's nice is you guys probably already have an established social group in DFW, so that should make the transition easier.
bruh
AG
Definitely appreciate the advice. From both you and BluedeviledAg. I'm definitely trying my best to get my wife plugged in. We haven't been in Ft. Worth long so we don't know many people. So that will be a challenge but the spouses support type group is a really good resource at TCU luckily so that should be good for us.
Token
AG
Grades don't matter for sure. The MBA program time goes by faster than you think. Can't believe I'm about to start my second year.

Good call on sticking with TCU and let me know if you need any frito lay contacts. Email is in the profile
bruh
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag
Do a LinkedIn search with keywords "MIT Sloan" and "Texas A&M". Should be able to find him easily.
Token
AG
Lmao

I forgot they changed the format for stuff on this site. Hit me up tokenag at gmail
MemorialTXAg
Unless you need an MBA to break through some glass ceiling by all means do TCU. Otherwise I think TCU mba is a complete waste of time and money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.