Any know anything about films schools or getting into the film business.

1,999 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Dallas82
rgarza35
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My high school junior thinks he wants to be in the film industry, ultimately as a cinematographer. We do not know any one in the business. We would like to speak with someone actually in the business. As you can imagine we have thousands of questions. Other than the RTF Program at tu, the film schools in Texas are nonexistent. PM me to set up a telephone call with us. Thanks in advance for your help.
Token
AG
There are a couple of people who post on TA and are big film producers. Go to the entertainment board and post this same thread.
rgarza35
AG
Thanks.
HECUBUS
AG
Cal Arts, USC, UCLA, Columbia, NYU... USC is the Harvard of film schools.

I was hoping my HS junior would go into film. There are so many opportunities here in Austin. Anything but engineering! tu is up there too, and ATM in digital animation.
Dallas82
I graduated from A&M in1982 and went to work in the film industry in Dallas. Started at an equipment rental place and moved to a small studio in town. After a few years I was shooting commercials. Is it possibe? Yeah. LIkely today? Not really.

For one thing the tax advantages that Texas used to give for film productions dried up so the work went to other states.

If you want to do this for real, co to UCLA, USC, or CAL Arts in California. They have the programs in place and a huge number of alumni that you can talk to. But for now your kid should focus on learning photography. Stil;l photography. Shutter speeds, frame rates, filters (optical not digital), color temp, scene framing, camera movement, continuity. All of that can be done on your own. There are countless vids on youtube today to learn it. Start shooting stuff now. Get a reel together in order to get accepted into the program you want. DOn't just shoot exteriors. Shoot interiors, night scenes, tracking shots, etc. Learn as much as you can before you enroll.
HECUBUS
AG
Those Ca schools are expensive! USC invited ours to apply for skipping his senior year of HS. It came with a 25% scholarship, but it starts at $72k/year.
Dallas82
HECUBUS said:

Cal Arts, USC, UCLA, Columbia, NYU... USC is the Harvard of film schools.

I was hoping my HS junior would go into film. There are so many opportunities here in Austin. Anything but engineering! tu is up there too, and ATM in digital animation.
My son got his Masters from teh A&M Viz Lab a year ago. He is now an asst producer at an educational game company in Bryan that was founded by one of his profs.
HECUBUS
AG
Very cool. I'm trying to talk ours into writing a screenplay for the Austin Film Festival and entering something in SXSW. He's doing his "spike" in Chemistry, because it's easy. Nothing wrong with two "spikes" or just doing something because it's awesome fun.

Dallas82
HECUBUS said:

Very cool. I'm trying to talk ours into writing a screenplay for the Austin Film Festival and entering something in SXSW. He's doing his "spike" in Chemistry, because it's easy. Nothing wrong with two "spikes" or just doing something because it's awesome fun.

Best suggestion, as someone who actually did this stuff for a few years. Do it. Fund it yourself and go shoot something. Read. Watch videos. Learn the lingo. Like the French, those film guys have a different word for everything. I knew Ted Churchill who was one of the best Steadicam operators ever. He wrote a funny manual for future operators and he made fun of people who use too much lingo.

"The DP's AC says the POV with the 28F3.2, 85N3 & LC3 at 4.5 push 2 at ASA125 is NG with the HMI, 2K's & the 20 by. Besides, at 4ft. the 35BL is 42db with the 18T1.3 which is only OK if its MOS."

Strange as it may sound, I actually still remember what all that gibberish is and a whole lot of it is still in use. You need to know this stuff because nobody really wants to teach you on the job. I can translate it if you need me to.

Unfotunately Ted passed away a few years back but his manual lives on. I used to teach people how to use a steadicam and I can promise you that every word in this is not only hilarious, but true.

https://www.videouniversity.com/articles/steadicam-operators-manual-of-style/

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.