Academic dismissal first semester of college

6,675 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 94chem
ashamedaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey its my first semester of college and I failed one class and passed my other two. I passed my major requirement class but I did not pass biology which was worth four hours resulting in my gpa to fall below 2.0. Now I have the option to appeal but I do not have any extenuating circumstances for the appeal and I was so close to a 2.0. This is my first semester of college so I do not have many hours. Also if I do try applying to another major will anyone even accept me because of the fact that I have a gpa below 2.0. Thank you in advance for your replies.
Dr. Nefario
Not sure how it works now, but when I was in school, you would go on scholastic probation after your first semester and you would have one more semester to get your GPA up. Have you talked to your advisor about your options?
Oogway
I second the advice to seek council from your advisor. In addition, if Biology is not your major, do make certain you enroll in the sections set aside for non-majors.

Over the break, be honest with yourself and formulate (with the help of an advisor or person whose opinion you trust) an action plan for steps to take. I say be honest, because it is all too easy to be vague (I need to study more, attend class more, go to help sessions), or set unreasonable goals: I am going to spend ALL my time studying.

I had an awful semester in college many years ago. While I did have some extenuating circumstances, I also knew that I had been less than diligent in my coursework. I sought out a professor whom I admired because he was one of the most organized practical people I had thus far met in my young life. We met during office hours and I asked for his advice and he was very gracious and brutally honest, but it was the spur I needed to get going on the path to degree in hand. Bless him, bless you and good luck.
Rongagin71
AG
Physical Ed used to be easy grade points.
But don't take gym unless you are flexible,
bowling and tennis were a lot more fun for me.
As far as switching to an easy major: Education.
Keep on working, having fun, and making contacts.
AggieChemist
AG
How in the hell do you fail freshman biology?
MyAgs1820
I've seen kids appeal based on a change of major (away from one that is related to the class they failed) and have success. Meet with your advisor ASAP.
10Aggie10
AG
AggieChemist said:

I laughed when I saw this question (and the fact that it had received 5 "likes") since I graduated from A&M with a 3.83 and my only non A or B was in freshman biology. I also made all A's in both HS and at Wharton (Penn), where I finished my masters with a 4.0
TexasAggie1280
I find your comment utterly disrespectful. I have taken freshman biology and did quite well, as long with other advanced sciences and math. I have recently failed out of A&M and am in the process of coming back.

People don't fail classes always due to lack of effort and ability. Sometimes things happen in life that prevent you from accomplishing simple tasks, like in my case. You don't know his situation and your mockery of his grades shows you've never experienced any true hardships.

TexasAggie1280
Congratulations an illustrious academic career. You worked hard for it and I admire your grades, but understand there's a lot of us that went through emotional or psychological trauma and grades can be directly impacted by those experiences. You are discouraging people in the process of getting back into A&M.

OP: fight like a dog and show your worth. You do everything right and you'll get that ring you deserve!
histag10
AG
I think you missed his/her point. They said the only class they struggled with was freshman biology. Seems like they were trying to say they understand how people can fail it when someone who is incredibly intelligent struggled in it.

histag10
AG
TexasAggie1280 said:

Congratulations an illustrious academic career. You worked hard for it and I admire your grades, but understand there's a lot of us that went through emotional or psychological trauma and grades can be directly impacted by those experiences. You are discouraging people in the process of getting back into A&M.

OP: fight like a dog and show your worth. You do everything right and you'll get that ring you deserve!

I don't mean to sound insensitive, but emotional/psychology trauma is what appeals are for. No one is trying to discourage you or anyone else from being readmitted.

Based on the responses to people on this thread, I would suggest having someone review your readmission essay(s). It would appear you are misconstruing words and placing undue blame on people.
wesag
AG
10Aggie10 said:

AggieChemist said:

I laughed when I saw this question (and the fact that it had received 5 "likes") since I graduated from A&M with a 3.83 and my only non A or B was in freshman biology. I also made all A's in both HS and at Wharton (Penn), where I finished my masters with a 4.0

What a dumb post.
wesag
AG
histag10 said:

I think you missed his/her point. They said the only class they struggled with was freshman biology. Seems like they were trying to say they understand how people can fail it when someone who is incredibly intelligent struggled in it.

The point is that it is a dooosh post.
BrazosDog02
AG
AggieChemist said:

Kind of a dicky thing to ask. I had a 1.6 my fish year. I coasted through High school without studying and got grades good enough to get into A&M. As a senior in high school, I spent my effort figuring out what projects I could fail and still get a passing grade on...you know...so I could mostly f---- off all year. It worked.

I joined the band at A&M, and figured I'd skate through all of that....boy was I wrong.

Long story short, I got C's in some really basic classes, q dropped stuff, and nearly failed a remedial algebra course..I probably had other failures in order to achieve such a low GPR. There is a LOT of dynamic going on as a fish in college. I know a lot of people that were in Band, did all of the Corps crap, AND had a 4.0 as Engineering majors. Some people have it, some people don't. I did not. But, I did as suggested above....I went home over the break and sat down and decided if I wanted to get a degree or not. Before hand, I spoke to the dean of my college and she told me I was not cut out for college...I wasn't college material.

I decided I was college material and that some pruned out washed up professor broad wasn't going to dictate what I was and was not good at. I also had to decide to shed bull**** that takes away from that goal, like ROTC and FTAB. It's a hard pill to swallow. I did exactly that. I then sought help from advisors and TA's for anything and everything I needed help on to excel. I ended up spending my entire college career repairing the damage from year 1. But...it got done.

Hang in there OP. It's not easy.
biobioprof
AggieChemist said:

I've seen that there is more new vocabulary in freshman biology than in intro Spanish.

Don't know that it applies to the OP, but I've seen students who suffered in intro classes because they are in a class where everyone else had an AP version in HS while they are seeing the material for the first time.

That said, the assertion that people don't fail due to lack of effort or ability is false. Not every failure is from those causes, and I have no idea what the % is. But it's not like it never happens, especially wrt effort in a place like A&M where ability is usually not an issue.
Lone Stranger
I am somewhat shocked at the number of students I hear that end up with crappy professors who go to their assigned lecture for attendance, quizzes, etc and then also attend the same subject lecture by a different (better) prof so they learn and understand the material for the tests.
OnlyForNow
AG
Only class I Q dropped was Math 152 from a Chinese prof Dr. Chen. She was VERY nice and accommodating, but her English was horrendous, like seriously... BAD. I had a very low C in the class and figured it wasn't going to get better so I Q dropped.

I retook the 152 course in the next summer semester had Dr. Axelson (American) and got an A in it.

Dr. Axelson explained the material better, was obviously easier to understand, and her tests were actually written in a way that was able to be understood.

I also had finished about 1/3rd of the class so that was a repeat; but I don't think me going from low C/D to an A is about the fact that I repeated the first 1/3rd of the class. I 100% believe it had to do with the instructor.
AgFan131
AustinCountyAg
Username fits...
histag10
AG
I think that is who I had for 171. I couldn't understand a word that woman said. I still have no idea why my advisor put me in that class, and then insisted I couldn't q-drop it.

Hell, at the end of my first semester, he couldn't remember why he told me to take it, but had notes in my file that I "had" to take it. I can't remember if I got a D or straight up failed it. I promptly changed my major to history and never looked back. (I was always in liberal arts pursuing a BA. No reason I would have ever had to take 171.
10Aggie10
AG
wesag said:

histag10 said:

The point is that it is a dooosh post.
no, the point was that the "How in the hell did you fail biology?" was a "dooosh" post. freshman biology can be a rough class for anyone; I wanted to let the OP know that I had a fairly successful college career and found myself in the same boat (struggling/failing biology) since the fourth response on this thread was basically "you're an idiot" and it got 9 "likes".
94chem
My freshman biology professor read from the study guide for his lectures, and tilted his chin downward so he read speak directly into his lapel mike. I realized that I could read the study guide myself, and just showed up for the tests.

Anyway, my buddy and I were stopping in at the Circle K on George Bush one night, and our biology prof was working at the Circle K. Yeah, that was a little awkward. I remember he was from Minnesota and he studied worms; I have no idea why he was moonlighting at Circle K.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.