Ten Percent Rule change??

4,621 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tcfitz3
Herringtonszoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy! My husband and I are graduates of TAMU, both class of '93. Our oldest is currently Blinn Team admit.(Top 10.3% and 1290 SAT) I consider myself up to date on admission info. But....

I was shocked today at lunch when the wife of a fellow Ag told me she saw on the news a couple of months ago that the top ten percent rule would no longer apply at TAMU. We would be instead subject to the same rules that UT has been following. Therefore, she said by fall of 2019, expect only the top 7% to be auto admits.

Is this true? If so, I can't believe I missed it! My middle son will begin college in 2019. We keep telling him to stay in the top 10% or his Aggie world will end. Have I lied and it is truly the top 7%? If so, he is toast!

Thank you.
Michelle
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Don't know about tamu but tu is going to top 6% next year I believe.
3in33
Ask your friend how many glasses of wine she had before she watched the news. If this were true, it would be out, just as with UT's numbers for 2019.

If kids are out of the top 10% for auto to A&M, they can get in via academic admit, if they are really a competitive student. Review admits still get in as well, just not in huge numbers as a whole percentage wise compared to the auto and academic admits.

A&M and UT are the only two schools where folks gripe about the top 10% (and academic admit for A&M). In many of the other TX universities, their individual auto admit policy is less competitive and still are great schools providing a great education.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

Under the new plan, students who finished in the top 10 percent their high school classes would still be promised a spot in some state universities. But schools would be allowed to cap their automatic enrollees at 30 percent of their incoming students. That means many top 10 percenters could be rejected by the state's top two public colleges the University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M University.
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/04/19/senate-committee-advances-proposal-gut-top-10-percent-rule/

Quote:

Most of the other state schools don't attract enough automatic admissions to be affected by the law.
Poor tech
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
3in33
SB2119 died not long after the Senate Higher Educated Committee approved the idea, which is the first round a bill goes through. There were at least 8 more steps the bill would have gone through. Getting a bill passed is not easy to get done. This bill is dead.

If someone wants to resubmit it, they will have to get another sponsor. The bill was perceived to go farther than it did, as Senator Seliger was not only the sponsor, but was the author, as well as the Chairman of the Higher Education Committee.

The legislature doesn't meet again until 2019, so the topic is dead that spring. It is not the first time this issue has gone before the legislature.

Still, the one's who loath the rule are the one's in suburban resource rich districts and mummy and daddy want their little darling to go to UT or A&M. A&M at least has academic admit for those out of the top 10% at competitive high schools. All you need is the minimum SAT score with sub scores.

Post removed:
by user
Trident15
AG
As an out of state student, I really hope the Top 10% rule goes away
tcfitz3
AG
The limit on out of state students existed before the 10% rule. The academic admit at A&M makes us superior, imho, to tu and also offers a chance for good students to come in.

DON'T FORGET TAMUG - Galveston has a separate admissions deadline (later) and lower requirements, and if you can make a 2.75 on 30 hours there, you can transfer to CS. Also, Galveston students ARE full fledged Aggies, get rings, sports passes, etc. It's also easier on out of state students.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.