Sons Class rank improved slightly - can we update his Application?

2,610 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 95richmondaggie95
95richmondaggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son is in holistic review. I noticed his class rank improved slightly from what school first provided us in the summer. Went from Top 12.8% to Top 12.5%.

Can we update his application?
3in33
You could send in an updated transcript but it won't really matter. They take into consideration the first 6 semesters (freshman-Junior). The only time Sr year rank matters is if he improves in rank during Sr year and then takes a gap semester in the fall (does not go to school at all. Anywhere). Then applies as an incoming freshman in the spring.

Those few fractions of a point he has wouldn't matter anyway since he is still out of top 10%. It is that classification where it might matter more.

His rank isn't bad. The rest of his app will be his make or break.
95richmondaggie95
AG
3in33,

Thabks for reply.

The better class rank does not include any senior work. I am confused why his skyward report today shows a better JR yr rank? Would just want to use the best one we can!

Perhaps I can have the school resend his transcript?
3in33
No need to rescind. Just order a new one to be sent (if your hs has to send it) or upload it yourself through your son's AIS.

95richmondaggie95
AG
3in33,

Thanks I meant re-send or re send (send again). If thats a word? My TAMU education on display. Anyhow he has had registrar send the latest transcript.
3in33
Good Luck to Him!!! Tell him to enjoy his Sr. year (and you too). While he could receive a decision earlier, the majority come in mid-late February. It is a long wait, so if that is his lot, enjoy the year and it will come.

What is his major he applied for?

Prexys Moon
AG
my son is a HS sophomore. Same deal, Aggie family, his number one choice, etc. I hate how the whole top 10 thing has made us raving lunatics. He's right on the edge of top 10 and we finally have come to the point where he is going to prep like crazy for the SAT, do his best, and let the chips fall where they may. In our school anyway the whole top 10 percent thing for UT and TAMU has made kids and parents into absolute crazy people. Trying to get more weighted classes, changing teachers in mid 9 weeks, etc. Was talking to my wife the other day and said, if we were a big tech or Baylor family, we wouldn't give a crap and wouldn't be so wrapped up in it. We had three really smart kids move into the district last spring and somehow go into the 3-5 spots and people about lost their minds. Guess it's the way it is now.
95richmondaggie95
AG
I hear ya. My son was TOP 9% then some new program was started at our school. Some "academy program." Dropped him like 20 spots to top 12.5%. We were sick to our stomach. Oh well. Hoping his application is strong enough.
Gigemchicken90
AG
The rule has made people crazy. In our district the amount of cheating by those in the top ten is unbelievable. The thing that I honestly don't get is that if it's all about the top 10 why are you helping that person that's a couple behind you.

My son is currently 8/140 and I hope he stays there but if not Blinn team or a transfer from Blinn would still get him the same Aggie Ring and Diploma that I have. That being said he is going to have to get that ring in a masters program because he plans to play golf for Mary Hardin-Baylor.
'90
HECUBUS
AG
We have a junior in a big 6A and could share many top ten percent stories too. However, ours started visiting schools his sophmore year and next week will be his tenth visit. I've sat through most of the visits.

One thing universal with the College admissions folks is they are very thorough. They have seen it all. Don't worry about top ten percent. At some point you have to trust that your kid will find their way. There are many paths.
jefe95
AG
So for these kids just outside of the top 10, are the SAT scores not high enough to fall in the academic admits?
95richmondaggie95
AG
Jefe-My son does not have the 1360 SAT score required if you are outside of top-10 but still Top-25. He has a 1250. Since TAMU pushed application date back till January this year - he took it again 12/2. We hope he improves significantly.
95richmondaggie95
AG
Son got his SAT score back 1320 - 670 reading/writing 650 Math. Hoping its enough.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.