What are my odds of admission

10,019 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgOutsideAustin
Trommald
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am from California, but I hate it here. I visited A&M and fell in love immediately. I got a 1430 on the SAT, but rank in the 43rd percentile in my class, so I am not an auto admit. My school is full of GPA farmers, and teachers gave me worse grades because I am a Christian conservative at an almost entirely liberal school. I still got a 3.47 gpa though, and took 5 AP courses. Texas A&M is my top choice by far, and I wrote one of my essays about that. I was wondering what my chances of admission are. Also, I have autism and wrote about my struggles with that because I was told that this would help explain class rank (I have a legit diagnosis). Anyone have any idea on my odds of admission?
TAMUAdmissions
TAMUAdmissions
AG
We evaluate class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores and everything else submitted with your application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc.

You can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950.
Baileyb
I was wondering when holistic review will begin for students who submitted their application in August? When can they expect their letter or acceptance/decline by if they are under holistic review?
JustPanda
AG
91% of incoming freshman class was in the top 25% of their HS class
TAMUAdmissions
AG
For Review Admits, you may be reviewed multiple times before a decision is made. As a result, Review Admits may hear a decision anytime between now and March (but more likely after the first of the year).
3in33
To the OP:

Also apply to Oklahoma State University (formerly Oklahoma A&M) They have a great school spirit and you would feel at home there as well. Your SAT scores might earn you the OOS tuition waiver. Check into it.
double b
AG
Check my profile and feel free to hit me up. My analytical scoring system based on a pool of 20,000 applications has been extremely accurate. For the past three years alone, I've successfully placed 17/19 REVIEW Applicants into TAMU. The two who didn't make it had SAT scores that were less than desirable.
Duncan Idaho
Trommald said:

I am from California, but I hate it here. I visited A&M and fell in love immediately. I got a 1430 on the SAT, but rank in the 43rd percentile in my class, so I am not an auto admit. My school is full of GPA farmers, and teachers gave me worse grades because I am a Christian conservative at an almost entirely liberal school. I still got a 3.47 gpa though, and took 5 AP courses. Texas A&M is my top choice by far, and I wrote one of my essays about that. I was wondering what my chances of admission are. Also, I have autism and wrote about my struggles with that because I was told that this would help explain class rank (I have a legit diagnosis). Anyone have any idea on my odds of admission?

I'd leave these two little data points out of any essays or interviews you might have. I am sure that you believe them to be true (and they might very well be) what ever a GPA farmer is, but they make you out to be someone that can take responsibility for where they are in life and is looking for someone else to blame.
3in33
Duncan Idaho said:

Trommald said:

I'd leave these two little data points out of any essays or interviews you might have. I am sure that you believe them to be true (and they might very well be) what ever a GPA farmer is, but they make you out to be someone that can take responsibility for where they are in life and is looking for someone else to blame.
A GPA farmer is someone who games the system with AP classes, even though it may be a meaningless class, like AP enviro science, just to pad their GPA, thus rank. Or there are students who transfer to the under performing school their Jr year to improve their rank. Yes, it happens. It's a game some play.
Prexys Moon
AG
My son is a HS soph and the grade farming/manipulation with weighted classes, etc, is already crazy world. Couple kids in his class , their parents tried to slip them into a junior weighted class for their elective without anybody else knowing. Some other parents found out, went to the superintendent, principal had to pull them out, and the caught parents threw a fit. Most sophs would take an unweighted elective in that spot. Another instance, his weighted pre-AP algebra 2 class is tough, and several kids at the 9 weeks are switching into unweighted algebra 2 , banking on making a high A to make up for a low unweighted B. We've decided to try his best to be top 10 but mainly study and prepare really hard for SAT and just do the best we can.

The top 10 stuff with TAMU and UT has turned people crazy. When I was in HS (graduated 91) most of us didnt even think about top 10 percent until graduation and those people got to sit on the front row. Sent applications in to TAMU in Feburary, got in, and that was it.
Duncan Idaho
This is why I don't see much of a problem with the current admit rules. Sure the top 10% is game, but there is the SAT/ACT route as well. Until I see I significant number of kids that are outside of the top 25% and have an SAT higher than 1300, I don't really see a need to change it. The only change is make is to add a minimum SAT score for the top 10%.
Cookiemonsterliu
What are my chances of getting into A&M class of 2022

GPA: 4.13, 10.7%
SAT: 1370, (v:620, m:750)
Thus not auto admit
Instate

Submitted all 3 essays, 1 lor, resume with employment and leadership roles.

Any chances? Any idea?
Prexys Moon
AG
so close. Take the SAT again and get that verbal up.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
For review admits, we evaluate class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores and everything else submitted with your application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc.
Trommald
I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a ballpark percentage chance of admission, including TEAM, Gateway, and Galveston. My understanding is that I most likely have a 75% chance or so. Thoughts?
JustPanda
AG
91% of the incoming class was in the top 25% of their high school class.
Trommald
Update: Nov SAT is out, I scored a 1510 (m. 800). how much does this improve my odds for at least TEAM?
Post removed:
by user
Trommald
Thx for the response.
Cookiemonsterliu
Thank you everyone! I've been admitted! So excited!
JustPanda
AG
Confident you wouldn't have a problem give your scores and class ranking. Class rankings is HUGE.
JustPanda
AG
Were you a National Merit Finalist or Semi-Finalist? (I don't think you'll know Finalist status until the spring).
JustPanda
AG
In your essay, I hope you made the narrative about how you have overcome your PDD, and didn't lean on it as a reason for the low class ranking. It's much more powerful when you describe the original issue (lack of diagnosis, etc), own the lack of performance, but then highlight the action/s taken to remedy the situation to make you a more successful student, why you feel that "overcoming" that developmental hurdle not only exhibited that the lower GPA was a function of an issue that can now be managed, and also provides increased student body diversity via your ability to potentially aid other students that may be experiencing the same PDD issues.

Also, do you have reportable scores for the AP courses?

When I was in admissions 10 years ago, we liked students that challenged themselves with AP courses, but also wanted to see (when possible) that they translated the course grade into a score of at least 3 or higher. Preferably 4/5.

Your class rank is going to be the biggest detriment to admission.

You also don't mention any outside activities (leadership roles in organizations, eagle scouts, student coordinator for X,Y,Z club, organizer of X,Y,Z event, volunteers X hours at Y charity, etc). The university wants well rounded and balanced students. Getting a great SAT score will help, but other factors weigh equally if not more than SAT.
Trommald
No merit scholar stuff (1320 psat), My essay was actually about overcoming obstacles, and disabilities were just a single paragraph. Only one AP was junior year, and it was Physics C mechanics. I got a 5 on that. I took mostly honors courses throughout high school. 4 APs senior year. Class rank is really hard at my school, the top 5% are going to Ivies. I had 4 years on a sport and only 100 volunteer hours
mccjames
AG
You can also look at blinn, tons of kids go there first and move over, gets you into Bryan/college station and close to admissions.
Thompsonwdld
Hi all....my son has applied to Texas A&M. We live in SC and he is top 10% of his class. He is an AP honors student and has a 4.5 GPA. He is Capt of the varsity baseball team and member of NHS. He works in the summers and tries to stay involved in community service as much as possible. He has struggled with the SAT and only has an 1100. Has taken it 3 times but just can't get any higher.

Does he have a chance at all?

Thanks!
TPS_Report
AG

Dallas82
Cookiemonsterliu said:

What are my chances of getting into A&M class of 2022

GPA: 4.13, 10.7%
SAT: 1370, (v:620, m:750)
Thus not auto admit
Instate

Submitted all 3 essays, 1 lor, resume with employment and leadership roles.

Any chances? Any idea?
Not that it matters, but back in 1978, my 1370 got me in.
HECUBUS
AG
Son (HS junior) got a postcard from ATM today, his first contact from ATM.

Weird because tu, Rice and many others in the state have been in contact for quite a while.

Whoop!
lifetimeredshirt
AG
My wife and are class of '84. My older two daughters were top 15% with ACT's of 28 and 29 and got into A&M. My oldest daughter is now top 25% in her second year of dental school. My youngest daughter is a high school senior. She applied to A&M with identical qualifications including an ACT score of 29. She was offered Blinn Team today. She has been accepted at Georgia and Auburn with scholarship money from both. Our family is floored. What is really frustrating is the number of kids who get their doctor to get them extended time, bumping their ACT scores by 20% to automatically qualify. Anyway, I have a pretty sour taste at the moment.
Oogway
Tamu admissions might be along to advise you, but IMO, the SAT score is problematic as it is not too much above average. Since the score is combined, was it slanted lower toward one type of subject matter i.e. math? Regardless of where he chooses to attend, he may wish to seek assistance in any weak areas prior to beginning fall semester. Plenty of people will mention how they were admitted to universities in spite of low scores and did fine and this is true- - mostly because the students who had to drop out and eventually attend elsewhere or struggle to get back in aren't always so vocal.

Now that is out of the way; his chances? He would probably be a review candidate and going up against some pretty stiff competition. Best of luck to him.

powerbelly
AG

Quote:

What is really frustrating is the number of kids who get their doctor to get them extended time, bumping their ACT scores by 20% to automatically qualify.
I call bull**** on a 20% increase.
HECUBUS
AG
Georgia is a really good University. Your daughter has done well. There's nothing wrong with the Blinn plan either. I understand the aggravation, but she has good choices. If the money was even, in this situation I would hope mine would go Georgia and then ATM for grad school.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
It is getting more and more competitive every year to go to A&M. So the same qualifications that worked in the past will not always work now. Blinn TEAM is a way to still attend A&M and graduate from A&M if that is the goal. Many fine students will not be offered Blinn TEAM. She can always call an Admissions Counselor at A&M at 979-458-0950 to discuss the value of Blinn TEAM.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.