Environmental design

1,316 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Vivificus
Oleagdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My daughter is a freshman and is pursuing a degree in environmental design. She hearing from some that it is difficult and that she should consider something else. Any suggestions from anyone is appreciated!
TheMasterplan
Study and work hard and take the challenge on.

Koko Chingo
AG
A&M has over 100 undergraduate degrees.

Everything is relative. Why does she want this degree? Does it play to at least some of her strangths/talents?

ChoppinDs40
AG
Oleagdad said:

My daughter is a freshman and is pursuing a degree in environmental design. She hearing from some that it is difficult and that she should consider something else. Any suggestions from anyone is appreciated!

Couple of caveats and hurdles with ENDS. This could be dated but I had a lengthy relationship with a girl who graduated with an ENDS degree and we dated towards the end of college.

It is a lot of work - not as much as engineering but close to it. Lots of math required as well - upper level labs take a ton of time once you get into design.

There are/we're two paths: 1) traditional architecture design and 2) "viz" (these are the Pixar kids). Viz is super hard to get into.

To become an actual architect, grad school is required along with passing a standardized test (I believe).

It's a long path and very focused. If she wants to do it because of other reasons, make sure she's a good student. Girl I dated went to grad school over seas for architectural conservation (Scotland) and now does contract estimating for a construction company (i.e., she wanted to restore castles and historical buildings but now just works in construction because there are no jobs in that line of work)
Vivificus
AG
I had a family go the "Viz" route. For whatever reason they could never break into the industry, graduated about 7 years ago, still outstide the industry.

Anyone closer to the Animation industry that can speak to the demand for that skill set? Based on my limited knowledge I would guess its relatively saturated at this time.
Viv
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.