Masters in Finance

1,482 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Token
leoj
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I searched and didn't find any topics on MS in Finance, mostly just MBA threads. Was hoping to get some advice from people in this field. I am currently in a supply chain environment but would like to switch career paths. I have been looking at applying to either UTD or UNT Online. So a few questions..

1 - Is it possible to get a job in the Finance field without a degree in it?
2 - Does where you get your degree, and whether it is traditional or online, matter?
3 - Any advice for preparing for GMAT, what is a good score to get?
4 - Advice on the field and job market in general.
Token
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
leoj said:

I searched and didn't find any topics on MS in Finance, mostly just MBA threads. Was hoping to get some advice from people in this field. I am currently in a supply chain environment but would like to switch career paths. I have been looking at applying to either UTD or UNT Online. So a few questions..

1 - Is it possible to get a job in the Finance field without a degree in it? Definitely, most of the people in finance come from liberal arts (Ivy league, rice u, etc) schools where you can't even major in finance, so it's all about ability to think outside the box and think critically.
2 - Does where you get your degree, and whether it is traditional or online, matter? Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. What type of Finance are you looking at? If it's I-banking, PE, etc, then where you go to school definitely matters because many of the people at the banks want to hire alums from their respective schools. If you're just trying to get a corporate finance job, then less so, as people in corporate finance come from everywhere.
3 - Any advice for preparing for GMAT, what is a good score to get? Use Manhattan GMAT and Target Test Prep to prepare for the GMAT. And a "good" score is dependent on the school you're applying to. for most online programs, you don't need to aim for 700, something in the 600-650 range should suffice.
4 - Advice on the field and job market in general. Depends on what type of finance you're looking to get into. In dallas, the corp finance market from what i've read is quite strong, so you'd be okay. The banking/PE side is a different story because it's mostly regional offices.

If you're trying to switch careers, MFin could help, but you need to talk to the school and ask them how many people switch careers and look at their employment reports. That's how you know if it's worth the squeeze
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.