Acceptance to TAMU on agreement to be in Corps.

3,035 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FlyFish95
TXAggieMom11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has there been a time in the past 30 years that a prospective student would be granted acceptance to Texas A&M only if they would join the Corps of Cadets?
I have read it on Texags and it is always shot down. Today I had someone tell me her son was given that type of acceptance in 2008. He turned it down so could not be admitted.
OldArmy71
AG
There used to be someone who posted here who worked in Admissions and would respond unofficially to a number of threads (not the official poster below). He flatly denied that joining the Corps would allow you to be admitted.

I believe, though I could be wrong, that prior to President Gates, there were "legacy" points awarded and also applicants who got bonus points for joining the Corps. That is, being the child of a graduate or being willing to join the Corps did not guarantee acceptance, but contributed positively to one's overall admissions package.

Gates ended both of those practices.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
We evaluate class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores and everything else submitted with the application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc. Being willing to join the Corps does not influence admission. We decide admission based on past accomplishments.

As mentioned, A&M had to stop legacy a number of years ago.
Post removed:
by user
FlyFish95
What if she's hot?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.