Chem 107 & Physics 218

1,955 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheMasterplan
EthanAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any advice? I am in General Engineering and in a bind. I am behind to meet necessary class criteria to apply for my major for second round applications, my ETAM. If I don't meet such criteria, I'll have to pursue a custom application process for my major since I'll miss the last, second round of applications. Has anyone done this? If so, advise for/against it? Is it much harder to get accepted to my preferred major (Mech Engr) going the custom route? Any advice?

In order to avoid the above scenario, I would need to take Chem 107/117, Physics 218, and Engr 112 all simultaneously in Fall 2017 at A&M. I feel that it is academic suicide. I'm a good student who studies but struggles test wise. It is definitely a tough load and I feel may be even riskier than taking my chances with the customized route. Anyone have experience with this? Advice?

Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!
Ridge14
Are you also taking Math 151/152?

Graduated in 2014 so I don't have any experience with the general engineering and then transfer stuff, but eventually later in lower level or in upper level you're going to have to take a number of engineering classes all during the same semester. I'm guessing everyone is really trying to have top grades early on now so they can get their first choice major?

I honestly don't think ENGR 112, CHEM 107, PHYS 218 is a bad load - mostly everyone I know did it, except 208 instead

You'll eventually get to look forward to semesters like:
MEEN 357 - If it's still the same, the project will dominate your life
MEEN 363
MEEN 344
MEEN 360

Chipotlemonger
AG
MEEN 357. Classic.

Professor from MIT (and he let it be known about every class). 8am Tuesday Thursday section. The final project was that competition between all the teams. I was on a team of 3 in a class of about 55 -60 or so. Originally the winning team would all get 5 points added on their grade. Then this dude pulls some day of competition BS. Let's the students vote for a different point scheme.

Instead of 1st getting 5 points,
1st: +3 points
2nd: +2 pts
3rd: +1 pt

The class majority voted for the latter (which is pointless, at the time we didn't have a +/- grading system so what difference would 1 or 2 points honestly have the chance to make?

Me and my two teammates all voted confidently to keep the old scheme because we thought we would win. Lo and behold we did, but the grading scheme vote screwed us over. 2/3 Ended up with B's when we busted our ass to win and possibly get A's (bc we knew where our grades stood). Outside of that final grade BS, was one of my least favorite classes at A&M, solely because of the professor's attitude and not the material.

P.S. - I really dunno how the classmates were all duped re: the grading. This professor was strict and if you got 1-2 points extra on your grade and it didn't bump you up a grade point, sore luck!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Oh and for some advice for the OP:

I was MEEN from the start so didn't have the same hurdles as you describe. However, I highly highly recommend A+ Turoring if they're still operating across the street. Pony up the money and go to every single session of class overview and test prep for those CHEM and PHYS core classes. Pay attention and work your butt off there, and you'll be good.

As for 112, that's a whole different animal. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw with who you get put on a team with. Don't be "that guy." Work hard and be professional about the deliverables, and chances are you'll do sufficient enough.
Ridge14
Agree with Chipotle - Utilize A+ as much as you can - I had season passes to basically all of the lower level courses. It will suck sometimes having back to back sessions from like 8 PM to Midnight after a long day, but your grades will (should) reflect the extra effort you have been putting in. No doubts that Ali over at A+ could adequately prepare you to do well in both CHEM 107 and PHYS 218. Previously it was super convenient with it being located directly across the street from campus, looks like they moved a bit down University now.

Also as Chipotle described, it will be luck of the draw for ENGR 112 for who you get on your team, but I don't think it's a hard class, even if you have a less than stellar team. I think I had two kids who were transferring out of engineering after the semester so they didn't really care. If you get a solid team the class should be easy. I ended up doing the whole project for our team. I was fortunate to have amazing teammates for MEEN 260, MEEN 357 later on though.

Probably know Chipotle from our shared experience with Raymundo.

barney94
AG
If you're not doing it already, I'd say summer school is where you need to be. Might be too late, but you could call your advisor and see if you can make it happen.

You could catch up and focus on these 2 classes. I don't know how much tutoring is available over the summer; you'd have to check that out.

I did Differential Equations and Thermodynamics one summer and it was very helpful to do it that way.

TheMasterplan
barney94 said:

If you're not doing it already, I'd say summer school is where you need to be. Might be too late, but you could call your advisor and see if you can make it happen.

You could catch up and focus on these 2 classes. I don't know how much tutoring is available over the summer; you'd have to check that out.

I did Differential Equations and Thermodynamics one summer and it was very helpful to do it that way.

Agreed. You could knock out one of these easily.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.