Professional MBA - Rice or A&M?

6,205 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Madaman
jamaggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this a no brainer? Originally, I was leaning towards A&M, however, lately, I've been moving more towards Rice. I am in the admissions process right now and should be finished by week's end with both applications. I have a strong application acrossthe board, so I'm not too worried about being denied to either school, but in the event I am, I guess that makes my decision easier. Just wanted to see what the boards opinions might be.
Ridge14
Vote for Jones

Disclaimer: Purely based on what I've read, I have no experience with either programs.
Token
AG
jamaggie06 said:

Is this a no brainer? Originally, I was leaning towards A&M, however, lately, I've been moving more towards Rice. I am in the admissions process right now and should be finished by week's end with both applications. I have a strong application acrossthe board, so I'm not too worried about being denied to either school, but in the event I am, I guess that makes my decision easier. Just wanted to see what the boards opinions might be.
no brainer, choose rice. you already have the a&m brand with your first degree
DPlainview
AG
Not a no-brainer.

Very different cultures in each program. I suggest you visit both and talk to them in detail.
Saul Goodman
AG
Have you checked out McCombs?
Furlock Bones
AG
Rice for sure.
Duncan Idaho
When I was looking at programs the thing that pushed me away from Jones was that professional students were forbidden from using the on campus recruiting process.

This might have changed or it might have been the official policy but something that wasn't enforced or maybe they have changed it, but that is what I was told at a Jones open house event.

So I went with McCombs. Since I already have access to the aTm network, Mays never was a serious consideration
jamaggie06
AG
Quote:

This might have changed or it might have been the official policy but something that wasn't enforced or maybe they have changed it, but that is what I was told at a Jones open house event.
I just attended an informational session and unless I misunderstood, that is clearly not the case anymore. Very strange to policy to have in general in my opinion, and would definitely be a potential deal breaker.
Duncan Idaho
McCombs had the same policy in their first few years when it was basically a captured program for TI. When I went you "had" to get an exception if your company paid more than 50% of your bill.

The idea was that companies wouldn't send/pay for employees if they were going to be recruited away.
jamaggie06
AG
I just assumed most employers do what mine does; if you leave within 3 years you have to pay back the prorated amount.
Duncan Idaho
Good look getting it back. And your employer has to give you a lot of flexibility to attend the classes and onsite sessions.
jamaggie06
AG
Other than the two week long "immersion" sessions at the start of each year, the Rice program won't require me to miss any work. Like the A&M program, Rice offers a weekends program that is every other weekend.

I don't know anything for certain though at the A&M informational session they had some former and some current students there to talk about the program and I don't recall them saying that they missed much work bc of the program. Again, other than A&Ms week long versions of the same thing at the start of each year.

How did you like the UT program? Did you do a professional MBA or full time? And did you attend the Houston satellite or the main campus?
Duncan Idaho
jamaggie06 said:

Other than the two week long "immersion" sessions at the start of each year, the Rice program won't require me to miss any work. Like the A&M program, Rice offers a weekends program that is every other weekend.

I don't know anything for certain though at the A&M informational session they had some former and some current students there to talk about the program and I don't recall them saying that they missed much work bc of the program. Again, other than A&Ms week long versions of the same thing at the start of each year.

How did you like the UT program? Did you do a professional MBA or full time? And did you attend the Houston satellite or the main campus?

I did the professional program in Dallas. It is run hand in hand with the Houston program. We have the same intensive sessions on the main campus. Skipping work for a total of 2-4 weeks is significant for some companies. You will also end up not working as late because you have accounting homework to do.

My company didn't require me to use vacation for the intensives or for the half days I worked on theFriday of class weekends. But then again that was the only thing they convered.

I was really happy with the program but I wish I could have done the full time program. I had great recruiting opportunities but there was still a big difference between our opportunities and those of the full time students.
JustPanda
AG
Not Jones
Duncan Idaho
ZoneClub said:

Not Jones

Quality contribution
JustPanda
AG
For the price and the placement, it's a terrible ROI. McCombs is MUCH better all around.

I agree with non academic incest for degree conferment. It does help to expand your network outside of just A&M.
Duncan Idaho
ZoneClub said:

For the price and the placement, it's a terrible ROI. McCombs is MUCH better all around.

I agree with non academic incest for degree conferment. It does help to expand your network outside of just A&M.

Quality contribution.
jamaggie06
AG
Was just accepted to Rice. Also received an email requesting an interview with Mays. My initial thought is to politely decline. Is that a bad move and should I go ahead and schedule an interview?
DPlainview
AG
Don't waste their time if you've already made up your mind. If you are still open, you should hear what they have to say - two very different PMBA cultures.
jamaggie06
AG
You have said that twice now.

I have been to in-person information sessions for both schools.

Do you have any particular insights regarding the differences in culture between the two programs?
DPlainview
AG
Sorry. Was just answering your question. You never stated that you had talked to both in detail. (Or if you have, I must have missed it.)

My answer remains the same. My personal opinion is that if you've made up your mind that you are going to accept Rice, don't waste their time. If you haven't made up your mind, I'd interview with them and tell them you are struggling with the decision.

It's no different that getting a job offer from a company that you know you will accept and then going on an interview with another company. You are wasting your time and theirs.

To answer your other question, I think you will find a great deal more cooperation between students and sense of family in the A&M program. It is a program that tries to develop you in a more well-rounded way but that leads to significantly fewer specialization courses. If that type of culture is not something you care about and/or if Rice offers a specialization that really resonates with you and is the direction you know you want to move in career-wise, that is a decision point as well.

I think the "different network" argument is a bit overrated. The MBA/PMBA/EMBA network you will develop out of either program is significantly different than your undergrad degree.
jamaggie06
AG
Quote:

It is a program that tries to develop you in a more well-rounded way but that leads to significantly fewer specialization courses
That is actually a concern of mine and one of the main reasons I looked at other programs. I believe the A&M program offers two "elective" slots, consisting of a total of maybe 5 choices. I understand that is likely due to the fact that the A&M program is a satellite campus. The Rice program does offer significantly more electives.
DPlainview
AG
See, I think you could read that the other way as well. What is it that you are missing because you are taking all of those electives? I think A&M's core philosophy (in all of their programs including the full-time) has always been that an MBA is designed to be more of an all-around degree. They are going to give you more leadership/communications as well. If you know you want "investment banking" (or whatever), why bother with an MBA at all, why don't you get an MS/Finance?

That's probably an overstatement in either direction (Rice is still an MBA and A&M does have some electives), but I guess I'd say if you know for sure what you want to specialize in and the Rice MBA offers that, it should be a consideration. I wouldn't rule out A&M simply because it doesn't specialize. Too often I think people go back for their MBA's and then end up specializing in what they are already good at.

In the end, both are excellent programs and if you have both to choose from it's going to work out either way. Good luck with your decision.

Madaman
A&M's program has space for specialization if you want to do an extra semester after you finish the core MBA coursework. Of course, this means more time and money, but gives you a chance to take more courses if that is your goal.
jamaggie06
AG
Quote:

A&M's program has space for specialization if you want to do an extra semester after you finish the core MBA coursework. Of course, this means more time and money, but gives you a chance to take more courses if that is your goal.
The Houston program?
Madaman
whoops, nm. i was thinking FTMBA. Not sure for PMBA
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.