scholarships at A&M?

1,895 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JustPanda
rdselman95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As a former student I get asked to donate more money all the time to fund scholarships at A&M. I read articles in every issue of Texas Aggie magazine about the scholarships.

My question is...who gets those? My son is in top 5% with a 32 ACT and was offered loans only. Are they all given to 1st generation college students or low income students?

Where does an average kid (who happens to be a really great student) go for free aid dollars?
powerbelly
AG
They don't.

If your parents were college educated and middle class there is very little money to be had.
histag10
AG
rdselman95 said:

As a former student I get asked to donate more money all the time to fund scholarships at A&M. I read articles in every issue of Texas Aggie magazine about the scholarships.

My question is...who gets those? My son is in top 5% with a 32 ACT and was offered loans only. Are they all given to 1st generation college students or low income students?

Where does an average kid (who happens to be a really great student) go for free aid dollars?

Private scholarships that are merit based and not income based. Also, scholarships at A&M are applied for separately than Financial Aid (I believe). Financial Aid is 100% need based, while some of the scholarships are department /merit based. His scholarship application would have been different from the FAFSA, and his award letter would have come separately.
JustPanda
AG
When I was at A&M, Nation Merit Scholars got the $1,000/year and were also given PES and other scholarships like Lechner. I got a Mitte Scholarship from the business school. I think it was like $10,000/year alone. When you combined the NMF award with the PES and the Mitte/Lechner, I ended up making money.
Oogway
Like others have mentioned, most of the scholarships are merit-based and/or have specific requirements. A student who has few scholarships entering A&M, however, can get great grades and apply for the many scholarships that are for continuing students.

In addition to funding scholarships through A&M, donors can reach out to their home community and fund a scholarship that way. For example, some school districts have a funding entity that administers scholarships to graduating seniors. Some of these awards have very specific parameters (i.e. must be majoring in electrical engineering and attend A&M or must have played a varsity sport, etc) A&M is full of average kids who are great students so that is another way to give some hard working students in your community a helping hand.
JustPanda
AG
+1

We give out a scholarship every year, but the criteria are very narrow. The student must be from Tyler County specifically pursuing a life science based degree. It remains in effect until they fail to make a 3.0 for 2 straight semester, but remains in effect if they pursue a master's degree, Phd, or DVM if they make the grades.

It MIGHT get 9-10 applicants each year because of the narrow focus. Some years it has been as low as 3-4. IMO, that is where students that don't qualify at A&M have the best chance because the applicant pool is much smaller.
Oogway
^^Exactly! Often, this type of scholarship is in memorium or in honor of someone in the community and are a wonderful legacy. This, in turn, can foster a relationship that can resonate throughout many generations. It may sound trite to some, but really these generous donors have given 'gifts that keep on giving.'

We are blessed that so many outstanding students want to attend A&M but it does create the difficulty of where it can best apply the funds supplied by the Legislature in order to remain relevant to what the populace needs. That sometimes means making tough decisions when it comes to funds for students.
JustPanda
AG
You nailed it. It's named after my grandfather who was the county vet for 40 years. Hence the focus on life sciences.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.